Mary Washington Healthcare

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
2.2

Fred M. Rankin, III

Started out great and steadily went downhill!

Former Employee - Food Service Associate in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Food Service Associate in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They had pretty good benefits and once I finished high school they immediately made me .5 status which gave me benefits, including tuition reimbursement. After the first semester they actually paid the tuition up front and as long as I got at least a C in the course it was completely paid for. They also worked with my school schedule.

Cons

Steady went down hill. The turnover at the upper management positions was incredible. Sometimes they had absolutely no idea what was actually going on. They play a lot of favorites and there are a lot of relatives that have each others back. Sometimes they would complain because I stayed an extra five minutes on my break. But some people that were related to the managers would take their thirty minute breaks and then come back for a little then leave the hospital to go play the lottery. When I went to complain about that the would say don't be a snitch. But it was those exact people leaving to play the lottery that would be telling on me.

Stop playing favorites and treat all your employees equally. If the job description says that you must be able to lift forty pounds and you can't lift it you shouldn't be working their. And stop letting certain people be lazy while others work extremely hard for zero recognition.

Good Job, Bad Company

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

free parking, free flu shots, great coworkers

Cons

poor management from the top down

you need to eliminate numerous executive and director positions...way too top heavy.

This company has disgraced this community and more importantly their own associates.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no longer any pros.

Cons

The hospital has sold of 3 departments, ( Environmental services/ housekeeping, Engineering and food service) to try to "update" certain departments to be more enticing to patients. I have to say you can decorate a turd any way you want, but it's still a turd. All the good nurses and doctors have left and we now have "traveling nurses" working in the hospitals. I'm sorry but a nurse with no ties to this community is not going to give her best, once she's seen how they treat their employees. All they care about is money and cutting positions. Nurses and CNA'a are being overloaded with patients and still expected to give outstanding service. Not gonna happen, you get what you pay for. This hospital has been sinking further down the drain over the last 4-5 years and continues to do so.

All management need to be TERMINATED! They act like puppets, threatening their employees and cutting staff to save their own butt regardless of the threat to the patients. Shame on you! Your no better than the people at the top, and you see where their at now. Everyone is "stepping down or retiring" yeah right! Truth is your butt got canned because of the mess you've made trying to do more work with fewer employees. You got what you deserve!

Employees are disposable

Former Employee - Surgical Tech in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Surgical Tech in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love some of the nurses

Cons

upper management focused on increasing wealth by reducing workers' income.

lose everything and go live in the streets...

Started good...ended terribly.

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare part-time

Pros

My co workers were awesome.

Cons

Management wasn't always too helpful and were always busy doing absolutely nothing.

Management Sucks

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the average worker is a great person

Cons

executives and upper management is a joke..lots of butt kissing and HR is pathetic

please sell to Sentara before it's too late. Executives are horrible, have no clue how to manage and way too many of them

For the community but not the employees..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is great as far as helping the community. For the position I worked I was at the switch board connecting callers to patients, departments, or associates. The job itself is very easy once you get the hang of it.

Cons

You have to be available 24/7 as you are considered essential personnel. Lack of communication between the teams and management. Failure to keep promises made to employees, along with no job security. The company is not making money therefore they cannot provide raises for current employees, nor hire the adequate amount of staff needed for proper everyday function of the office. They would rather work you to death than hire more staff.

Accept feed back given by employees and take initiative and responsibility for change. No matter how much teams report things the company is complacent with the quality of work the management is providing and does not want change but it is WELL OVERDUE.

Great company providing care to our community.

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare

Pros

Get to help provide a great service to our community.

Cons

Healthcare is a hard industry to be in right now; lots of changes

No advice

Great travel assignment

Former Employee - Traveling Certified Surgical Tech in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Traveling Certified Surgical Tech in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff to work with. The location in Virginia was nice, and the hospital itself was growing and very responsive to travelers.

Cons

Needed better incentive to keep permante employees

Very sad and unhealthy place to work

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time

Pros

Pay was always on time.Paid Annual Leave was fair.

Cons

The HR department only listens to those that cry and complain. The department does whatever upper management tells them.When Director's aren't reprimanded for anything after numerous people go to HR about them, is really a testament to how business is done in this organization

Quit lying and cheating associates.