Mary Washington Healthcare

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fred M. Rankin, III

Great company providing care to our community.

ProsGet to help provide a great service to our community.

ConsHealthcare is a hard industry to be in right now; lots of changes

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Great travel assignment

Traveling Certified Surgical Tech (Former Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

ProsGreat staff to work with. The location in Virginia was nice, and the hospital itself was growing and very responsive to travelers.

ConsNeeded better incentive to keep permante employees

Please-if you are an RN-read this and apply with your eyes open!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClose to my home, pay came in on time, parking free at present but sure a charge will be levied soon.

ConsWhere to begin-doctors treating RNs like trash and telling us that we will be fired before them-in regards to reporting their bad behavior. Cutting staff but complaining that HCAPS are low ergo no raises for you. Charging staff for the Nursing Ball (100.00), as well as the nurses week appreciation lunch/picnic is just many of the insults MWH sends out. Just after receiving their magnet status they stopped the clinical ladder-they were "revising" it-for three years, ended pay for staff meetings, educational funding, and forget about shared governance as it's not happening. Board members come through as patients and state they don't want special treatment-but tell you and everyone else that they are on the board (wink wink). Good ole boy network at it's finest and it's the patients that suffer for it as well as the lower staff. I have NEVER SEEN the nurse manager turn over like it is at this place. I loved my co workers with all my heart but could not deal with feeling like my job was always in jeopardy. I know that sounds weird but you always feel like someone is trying to find a reason to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRankin and the rest of the upper echelon need to wake up and take the pay cuts you are handing out. If you are taking the cuts then let it be known that you are sharing in struggle. Cutting shift differential, call pay, etc is not the way to stay competitive. Beating weary horses does not make the carriage run faster or better. COMPLETE CHANGE IN BOARD AND UPPER LEVEL EXECUTIVES. THE NURSING EXECUTIVE SHOULD BE ASHAMED-MARIANA. ICARE IS A JOKE!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This organization is only concerned about money, certainly not their employee's or patients.

R N (Current Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

ProsThere are no good reasons for working here, which is why everyone's looking for another job.

ConsPoor leadership, poor management, not paid enough for all the work expected from them. They want 1 person to do the job of 2 or 3 people, yet keep taking away our bonuses, benefits, and now require anyone insured through them to pay higher premiums if the person smokes ( and not willing to stop) or has any health conditions and won't comply with working with a health coach. They expect you to work with the coach on your own time, not during work hours and your required to work with the coach several times a month for an extended period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to control your associate's private lives, and work harder to bring about positive changes and eliminating stress on your employees. Whether a person smokes or not, is overweight or not has absolutely nothing to do with their job performance. Your doing exactly what the government is doing by trying to force your personal choices on others and expect them to comply or pay higher insurance premiums!

Horrible company to work for. Worst decision of my entire 28 year nursing career.

RN Staff (Current Employee)

ProsVery few. They don't follow their own standards. But they pay in a timely manner.

ConsThey are not able to make a management decision without 60 stamps of approval, 5 nods, and the blood of your firstborn child. Money is the driving force within the organization. If you are making them money they tend to overlook things, but if your losing money they blame everyone but themselves.the computer system was installed new, and no support was given. You have to call and leave a message, which makes the patient wait for answers. They say all the right things, but have no follow through. I needed my brain scrubbed after years of frustrations working for them. No teamwork, they said one thing and did another. Never got straight answers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is only as good as it's leader, and their leader is all about love of making the almighty dollar.

Good job with a lot left to be desired of management and budget.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

ProsFlexible schedules, good pay, good benefits.

ConsStaffing is determined by a "grid" and they don't care how acutely ill your patients might be. They won't bring in extra staff in fear of being "over budget". Ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff according to patient acuity, not according to what the "grid" says. All units need CNAs and HUCs, not one or the other because you don't want to pay for both. Nursing needs to have both at their disposal to run a shift safely. Don't complain about hospital-acquired pressure ulcers but not provide CNAs to help reposition patients. Don't complain about answering phones in a timely manner if you are not willing to provide a HUC. Nurses are already spread too thin. We can't do it ALL. Provide reasonable visiting hours for critical care units. Families do NOT have the right to treat nursing staff like waitresses, demanding every little thing for their own comfort. Nurses need to take care of patients, not family member requests for drinks, pillows, etc. It's acute care, not a hotel. Families should be expected to abide by unit policy, not dictate what they want. Your desire to provide "customer service" has overridden your ability to provide safe care to your patients. The first priority is taking care of that patient and moving them along the continuum of care, and providing interventions to keep them on a therapeutic clinical pathway. When a nurse's attention is forced away from her patients, the patient suffers. Some visitors have lost the ability to behave in an appropriate manner and nurses are written up for "not providing good customer service" or not providing "iCare" standards consistently.

More Bland then Vanilla!

ProsFlexible hours, great day care!

ConsCFO has made poor leadership choices. Lost too many knowledgeable people under his watch. Underlings are accountable but mangers and above are not held to the same 'critical' standards. Pay was cut on many fiancé employes while management got richer and less intelligent to what was going on in departments. They will be bought in less than 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm now in Florida but they should consider reaching out and offering any local employs that left their jobs back.

A wonderful place to work and gain experience

Phlebotomist (Former Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

Prosgreat opportunities to expand your skills

Conswish i could have shared more of my mentorship before departing

Disappointed

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

ProsGreat supporting staff ( RNs, LPNs, CNAs )

ConsHigh management and employee turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementGifts needed to succeed: compassion, faith, love and trust

good place to work for many years, but as healthcare reformed, became rather cut throat and callous with associates

ProsThe salary is competitive, great co workers on the " worker bee " level

Consexpected to more and more work with fewer and fewer associates, management not always fair, little to no concern over the welfare of associates

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that this is a business, but underhanded practices when " cutting the fat " is not ethical even if it means YOUR job.

Worked for Mary Washington Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!