Maryland Institute College of Art

CEO

Great students, campus.

Current Contractor - Faculty Member in Baltimore, MD
    Current Contractor - Faculty Member in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Maryland Institute College of Art as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

connections with other artists, faculty, visiting artists and the amazing students. great to get out of the studio and talk with other artists and future artists. Nice breaks for summer and winter. Mica has excellent facilities and resources.

Cons

expectations to spend a lot of individual time with students as faculty. I like this, but it is not always possible.

Beautiful Campus. Disrespectful Management

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art full-time

Pros

The students and family are a pleasure to work with. Some of the staff are extremely nice and usually management is flexible regarding time off if you need it. Pay is nice.

Cons

Management can be very disrespectful and condescending. Snootiness towards others based on their job title is open, blatant, and extremely common. I have seen with my own eyes the same director asking one person if it was okay to tell her what to do, apologize for having to give her orders, etc. and literally snip at another, bark out orders, respond with duh to questions, etc. and even downright walk away while the person was still talking and asking for help telling her to get it together. The difference? Their job titles were different. One was a lowly receptionist, the other an EA. It was sad and disgusting and no one checked the Director. Lower level staff (security, janitorial, student workers) are given meanial tasks - such as washing dishes, and usually aren't even spoken to at all.

Treat others well and with respect regardless of their job titles. Don't let other staff and faculty get away with not doing so either - regardless of whether they're your personal friend or not. It leaves a very bad impression on your employees and also the students and their parents, and MICA in general. Having a pretty building means nothing if all the people are ugly inside.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment! Absolutely incredible group of people. You are constantly surrounded by art of so many varieties, and many creative young people who have incredible drive.

Cons

The place is poorly managed. I worked in the photo department. I actually found out that the women in my department (Staff) were getting paid less than the men. Thankfully, after months of negotiating with HR, we got that settled.. But, in general, MICA underpays their employees. They prefer to spend their money on fancy new buildings that don't function well.

I never had a review the entire 2 years that I worked there. Try doing that! Try giving people more responsibility - trust them!

Great Experience, a lot of people to meet

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time

Pros

Several employees came from the art field which kept conversations interesting. It's the perfect job if you are looking for stability in parallel to your own work and shows.

Cons

After a while, the job becomes repetitive with the school year. The challenge is to keep yourself interested.

Working in the wrong department

I have been working at Maryland Institute College of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worthy mission, well-sized fitness center

Cons

They don't fire people who aren't doing their jobs, and they condone a hostile workplace. I work for an incompetent who makes a million mistakes, doesn’t know her left hand from her right, gives incorrect information and instructions constantly and then gets offended when you contradict her. She completely disrespects anyone who works under her because of her raging insecurity. She is in no way a leader, and the only reason why she lasts at a job is because the workplace allows this kind of behavior and our mutual director holds her hand. I have complained about this more than once, but nothing has been done about it.

Get rid of employees who aren't doing their jobs and who make it impossible for their co-workers to do their jobs. Hierarchy isn't everything.

Good place for adjunct professors

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor In Graphic Design in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor In Graphic Design in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good faculty and staff, good classes

Cons

With a large-ish 3,000+ student body, is still operating on a small school level. Lots of important paperwork has not yet been digitized (class reviews, office key requests, car permits)

Low Adjunct Salaries

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students are very talented and very ambitious and fun to work with.

Cons

Adjunct faculty are making much less than they deserve

Great!

Former Employee - Work Study in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Work Study in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art

Pros

A diverse group of staff from different walks of life.

Cons

Wishes the campus would have better parking for staff and students.

None

Not too good

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art

Pros

Great healthcare benefit, Parking is a mess.

Cons

Someone to get some experience, not too much going on. No advaccement

Involve employees in more decisions.

Well-compensated, monetarily, but the incivility makes it a challenging place to work.

I have been working at Maryland Institute College of Art

Pros

Employees work at a well-funded private institution that attracts exceptional students. Faculty are well-paid (staff could be paid more), and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

There is a climate of incivility and bullying, within faculty and staff realms, as well as between staff, faculty and administration. Policies and procedures are being developed as this climate comes to light, but masterful bullies use their established positions and social networks to circuitously conceal their bullying in a variety of ways.

Consider confidential ways for staff and faculty to continually report incidents of incivility and bullying, so as to root out the sites and individuals perpetuating such behavior. Hire an outside cultural consultant to audit staff and faculty perceptions regarding: individual goals and the achievement of or barriers to those goals; the manner in which minorities and differently-abled employees and students cope and adapt--or don't; grievance actions taken and the resultant retaliatory actions taken in reporting a grievance. Consider hiring more people outside of MICA to promote diversity in culture and ways of knowing.

Maryland Institute College of Art Photos