Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

1. GREAT EMPLOYER!

Current Employee - Cashier in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Each year there is a salary increase due to the cost of living which is a plus.
    They work with your schedule.

Cons

It was a great company, there are no cons.

Advice to Management

It was a great company and I would recommend it to anyone.

Great staff to work with on a daily basis; not so much for the higher ups

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

- Great people to interact with at individual facilities: passionate, caring, capable.
    - In the facility where I worked, my supervisor gave me a lot of flexibility to create projects and initiatives

Cons

- Typical bureaucratic red tape: slow processing, slow progress, behind on technology, etc
    - They really get good deal on the amount they pay employees vs how much work they pay for the huge amounts of work (I worked full-time hours, part-time pay, no benefits)

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Values your employees. Values your employees. Especially part-time staff. They're the lifeblood of the organization.

3. Manager of MNCPPC Facilities

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Daily experience with dealing with Patron's other staff and co-workers.

Cons

Not enough full-time positions are availble.

5. Good summer work

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Good pay for all duties

Cons

Schedule hours could be shorter each

Standard Review

Current Employee - Senior Planning Technician in Riverdale, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Planning Technician in Riverdale, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best placed for a new graduate from college. Very diverse.Environmentally and culturally sensitive. Very Stable employment with great benefits. One of the few companies in the US to still offer a retirement plan with to 80% of you annual salary upon retirement.

Cons

Impossible to advance. Because of the great benefits nobody leaves and the salaries offered are sorely behind the private sector. Is good if you start out with the company right out of college but you would be very disappointed if you came to Commission from the private sector with 10+ years of experiance.

Advice to Management

Find some way to motivate your long-time employees. A vast majority stopped caring or working years ago and are just waiting to retire.Provide better salaries more consistent with the private sector. Employ from within and make advancement attractive to current employees. Remove the 5% to 10% max salary increase for employee seeking to reclassify to a higher grade.

7. Front Desk Staff

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

friendly environment, perks of taking classes at your location

Cons

It takes long to get hired on perm basics,

Advice to Management

Need a new line up

8. A wonderful work experience

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well this job i began working when i in high school. i loved to come to work and play with hundreds of kids. providing a place.

Cons

The only problem with this program was having to deal with the weather and the pay

Advice to Management

I loved woking for MNCPPC

9. Lifeguard

I worked at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission full-time

Pros

Depending on when you come into the organization you can make a lot of money in a summer. Really good job for teenagers to work in a team environment.

Cons

Depending on which facility you work at you could either have a really good director or a really poor one.

Advice to Management

Become more organized and treat the employees that have been loyal with respect and make sure they are appropriately compensated.

10. This is a part time job not a career.

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

You will meet a diverse work force with many skilled people. Each facility is it's own family and the work environment is laid back. Pay is good if your in high school or college.

Cons

Facility directors want the commitment of a full time employee but only pay part time wages. Hours are limited to 37 per week. The amount of unnecessary meetings is rediculous. People are given titles with no clear defined roles and authority is abused often. Ignorance is rewarded with more responsibility and favoritism is the norm. Uneducated people are placed in positions they are not capable of performing effectively and they constantly rise to their level of Incompetence.

Advice to Management

Stop putting drunks and weed heads in positions of authority or leadership. Address the individuals who fail to perform at the required standard of performance individually instead of calling for meetings.

11. Enjoyed it

I worked at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were many. I was a front-line employee, even though I was management. As a facility director, I loved interacting with the community and helping the kids. There are so many events and benefits available to the people of Prince George's County that aren't available anywhere else, especially not for free...

Cons

As it is with many places, changing infrastructure or the culture in and of itself to adhere to best practices and the constant changes in technology can be difficult. Here it seemed near impossible. On one hand, you are charged with making sure money is not ill-spent, on the other, contracts make it so you HAVE to use X vendor for services, even though you can find that same service from company Y for 1/2 the price, and upper management isn't enthused about allowing that change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who interact with your constituents. You NEED to hear what they have to say.

Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission Photos

This is my greenhouse at work. The Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission. (Photo thanks to Flickr user mpshadow2003 All rights reserved.)
Hiawatha & Development Application Notice, At The National Park Seminary (Forest Glen, MD) (Photo thanks to Flickr user takomabibelot, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo

Work at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission? Share Your Experiences

Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission