Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Reset
3.7
CEO

1. Analyst

Pros

I have been here for a year and I enjoy my coworkers and the many benefits that comes with the commission (abilility to work out at the facilities at no cost, ability to participate in the park and recreation activities throughout the year, childcare, etc). The main reason I applied for this company was because I wanted to work at a place in which the goal was to help serve and make a positive impact on the community. I enjoy what I do here and can actually see myself moving up and possibly retiring.

Pros:

A lot of employees have been working here for 10 years +
    Access to gym facilities and community centers at no cost
    Childcare programs available
    Flexable work schedule (depending on department)
    Satisfied employees

Cons

- Low salary (You can negotiate, however they may not meet you even close to what you had asked for)
    - Slow response time from upper management
    - Seasonals/Intermittents are overworked and underpayed

Advice to Management

It is understandable that things can get busy, however...it doesn't hurt to keep your employees in the loop and responding to their needs in a timely fashion.

Seasonal/Intermittent employees are overworked and underpayed. It would be great to raise their hourly pay.

2. Gymnastics Instructor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Fairland has the best staff in terms of gymnastics. The wonderful sages that run the origen have years of experience and are incredibly easy to learn from and work with.

Cons

Just make sure you're working with an age group tours comfortable with and don't be hesitant to speak to the directors what age groups you work best with. Otherwise you'll dread dealing with kids you're not good with.

3. Legal

Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Family-Community Oriented government agency. Flexible work schedules and most employees plan to stay here until they retire.

Cons

Promotion potential is limited to person in the position leaving, and most people plan to stay here until they retire.

Advice to Management

Create the ability for good people to have more opportunities.

Great Place to Work, Needs Reformed Compensation/Classification Structure

Current Employee - Senior Planner in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Planner in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with who are knowledgable in the planning field. The opportunity to help people on a daily basis is very rewarding. Great benefits.

Cons

Management can be very stiff and unwilling to change. Compensation/Classification structure is not competitive and needs to be totally overhauled.

Advice to Management

While much of management is knowledgable on how things are done within the Commission, there is not much flexibility to try out alternative methods for planning. More openness in upper-level management would be very beneficial.

6. Would be great without awful and bloated upper management

I worked at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staff are very good; The work is meaningful for the community.

Cons

Overpaid management wasted huge sums of money and hamper efforts of the staff. Many good people leave because of incompetent and hubristic admins.

Advice to Management

Sadly the management will never listen or learn from staff, and reside in an impervious bubble. In their mutual admiration society, they actually seem to think their incompetent top-down style of management is brilliant.

Great staff to work with on a daily basis; not so much for the higher ups

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

- Great people to interact with at individual facilities: passionate, caring, capable.
    - In the facility where I worked, my supervisor gave me a lot of flexibility to create projects and initiatives

Cons

- Typical bureaucratic red tape: slow processing, slow progress, behind on technology, etc
    - They really get good deal on the amount they pay employees vs how much work they pay for the huge amounts of work (I worked full-time hours, part-time pay, no benefits)

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Values your employees. Values your employees. Especially part-time staff. They're the lifeblood of the organization.

8. Manager of MNCPPC Facilities

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Daily experience with dealing with Patron's other staff and co-workers.

Cons

Not enough full-time positions are availble.

9. GREAT EMPLOYER!

Current Employee - Cashier in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Each year there is a salary increase due to the cost of living which is a plus.
    They work with your schedule.

Cons

It was a great company, there are no cons.

Advice to Management

It was a great company and I would recommend it to anyone.

10. Good summer work

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Pros

Good pay for all duties

Cons

Schedule hours could be shorter each

Standard Review

Current Employee - Senior Planning Technician in Riverdale, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Planning Technician in Riverdale, MD

I have been working at Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best placed for a new graduate from college. Very diverse.Environmentally and culturally sensitive. Very Stable employment with great benefits. One of the few companies in the US to still offer a retirement plan with to 80% of you annual salary upon retirement.

Cons

Impossible to advance. Because of the great benefits nobody leaves and the salaries offered are sorely behind the private sector. Is good if you start out with the company right out of college but you would be very disappointed if you came to Commission from the private sector with 10+ years of experiance.

Advice to Management

Find some way to motivate your long-time employees. A vast majority stopped caring or working years ago and are just waiting to retire.Provide better salaries more consistent with the private sector. Employ from within and make advancement attractive to current employees. Remove the 5% to 10% max salary increase for employee seeking to reclassify to a higher grade.