Maryland SECU

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rod Staatz

Great organization that cares about employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Linthicum, MD

Pros1. Passion for doing the right thing from a business standpoint balanced with doing right by employees.
    2. Great benefits, especially with paid leave and retirement plans.
    3. Leadership team trusts in my ability to effectively do my job.
    4. Working for a smaller organization that can compete with the "big dogs".

Cons1. Greater investment in professional development of all employees.
    2. Greater brand awareness in the community.
    3. Challenge in breaking away from the stigma tied to credit unions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in the abilities of all employees.
    Continue to be transparent in communications, while being open to feedback from all levels.
    Continue to appreciate work/life balance.

Fantastic Employer

Senior Client Support Specialist (Former Employee) Linthicum, MD

ProsGreat People, great culture and company core values. SECU believes in employee longevity and rewards those people who share their core values accordingly.

ConsNone that I can think of...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in supporting your employees....

Good Company to Work for but not without its problems.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and leave time. Opportunity for advancement in the branches. Overall, managers are involved with employees. Seem to genuinely care about the members. Growing.

ConsConstantly short staffed everywhere. Incentive program is not competitive. Service from most back office staff is poor. Seem to keep creating new management positions while eliminating workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate unnecessary layers of management and pay the workers more hourly and through incentive. Do a better job managing back office areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Complicted

ProsWork Schedule and the Staff,

ConsManagement, office politic and all the above

Really bad experience...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Linthicum Heights, MD

ProsPay is decent... that's it

ConsManagement really doesn't get it, they need to get out of the ivory tower.
    Bad working conditions.
    Long time employees have too much political power and can stifle new talented employees.
    Leadership takes credit for employee strategic and tactical ideas.
    Too much CYA...
    Employees in department are not motivated and "walk through the day" doing there jobs. Not productive at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo executive management... get out of the ivory tower and connect with employees other than the long term "trusted" people that aren't telling you the truth. Good people will leave or perform to the same level as the ones that have been there a really long time and have more political power than you realize. Either way the business looses.

Most employees are great to work with, really care about helping members. A good place to start or develop.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost co-workers are great, management was very involved, and in general, very willing to listen and make changes. As an outside hire, salary is very competitive.

ConsBack office, corporate opportunities being consolidated and sent outside the company, limiting out-of-branch career path. Back office is not very helpful to in-branch issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold back office accountable for helping front-line staff and members. Continue to listen to your employees.

Currently going through changes

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Linthicum Heights, MD

ProsThe credit union is financially stable and offers great rates to it's members.

ConsSECU hires a lot of temps to keep it's operating cost down. Currently the credit union is in the process of outsourcing it's back office work to a new company.

Interesting Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Linthicum, MD

ProsFriendly staff. Decent enough people at management levels. Great benefit package.

ConsSenior management without Masters or College Degrees? It was a first. Senior\Older staff really seemed to to be lacking in skillsets outside of SECU processes. It was sometimes difficult to see eye to eye and have them accept knew processes or procedures. Lack of understanding of a lot of their internal systems and technologies. Heavily reliant on consulting and outside support groups. Quotes from a C-level management: "Everyone has always liked working for me. I am a great manager." - almost weekly out of the blue "I know more about technology than all partners and staff here." - During many one-on-ones

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain up management, employees, and keep knowledge in house. Don't promote based on how you "feel" about someone but also base it on job competency. Senior management, in this environment, must be coachable to learn from new staff.

Chill

Teller (Current Employee) Lutherville Timonium, MD

ProsAwesome management
    Comfortable environment
    New branch, clean

ConsI HATE REFERRALS and you will constantly be pushed to make referrals
    not a position for non-social people

Advice to Senior Managementlower the required number of refferal goals

Dead end job

Collector (Former Employee) Linthicum Heights, MD

ProsTime off is very lenient.

ConsYou will not get promoted unless you are over 40.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on merit not decades of experience from non-employees.

Worked for Maryland SECU? Contribute to the Community!