Marymount Manhattan Reviews

Kerry Walk

1. Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Media Department Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Department Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

The staff at Marymount College in Manhattan is a pleasure to work with. I get a real sense of community.

Cons

Due to limitations of funding for our department, we feel restricted in our capabilities, and I am forced to find other work outside of the school to support myself.

Advice to Management

In order to facilitate AV equipment for all events, keep up and circulate all production equipment and stock, organize and circulate all DVD's for the entire school a larger budget for the department is required to ensure optimum performance.

2. My Summary

Former Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Small, it is very easy to build rapport with people in various departments. You can work independently without people breathing down your back constantly.

Cons

Company has a very eerie culture, not very accepting to multiple personalities. If you are different/disliked, you will be disposed of in the most gruesome of ways.

3. Great First Job out of College

Former Employee - Admission Counselor
    Former Employee - Admission Counselor

I worked at Marymount Manhattan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in Admissions and loved the camaraderie among the staff. Great support from the Dean and a wonderful place to learn how to work independently. Great benefits from the college and additional fun from our department - staff outings, happy hours, etc.

Cons

Not much room to grow and I personally didn't like the lifestyle of traveling so much for work.

5. Controlled Chaos

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at Marymount Manhattan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Helpful administration and colleagues. Nice area. Good benefits. Flexible employers.

Cons

Extremely archaic systems from the crm system to the amount of paper waste. There weren't even air dryers in the bathroom. MMC is really not anywhere near a green standard and this paper reliance allows for a lot of mistakes to fall through the cracks. Files are lost and things like reimbursement or expense reports are being lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

In an environment this small, it would pay to have all data processing outsourced to a company like databank so you can alleviate on spacial usage and free up some salary that was previously invested in manpower (savings over time). An online crm that will fully digitize the college's systems are necessary to move forward and continue success. Also, some recycling bins go a long way in the image you present to students.

6. summer employment

Pros

interesting classes, other faculty were nice to work with

Cons

short-term employment, did not really settle in

7. Small school feel, private university problems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marymount Manhattan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MMC is a nice small-knit community. Friendly staff members, budding students and nice building. Good HR department as well as cafeteria. In regards to my office, most of the people were supportive and efficient.

Cons

Management was very poor. My supervisor micromanaged and spoke poorly to their respective staff in almost a inhumane way. Nothing was done about that. Communication across the various offices and departments was very weak. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Be aware of how you speak to your employees. Leadership does not always mean speaking down to people and telling them what to do. Trust that the training provided has set a path for the position.

8. Great college terrible employer.

I have been working at Marymount Manhattan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful staff and coworkers who make best with the little they have.

Cons

Administration does not care about their staff quality of living or wages.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the cost of living wage to half way survive in New York City.

9. Wish they valued their employees

I have been working at Marymount Manhattan full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, Fridays off in summers, week off between Christmas and New Years, generous with vacation and personal days, 10% retirement contribution without required match after one year

Cons

No merit based raises and standard raises below inflation. Management don't seem to care about staff. There have been efforts to reduce benefits and eliminate raises all together which is causing the best staff to leave. Things have been getting worse and worse.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and try to keep your best staff instead of cost cutting. The staff all want to do everything they can to help students and wish the administration cared about them even a fraction as much.

10. You gotta love your job to stay here

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant to Vice-President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant to Vice-President in New York, NY

I worked at Marymount Manhattan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, regular hours, non-supervisory staff is often good young folks, vibrant atmosphere.

Cons

Departments have little communication with each other. You could easy work there for a year and not know anybody outside your office. Some departments often feel very disconnected from the students - which is what the school is about. Because the school is so small its easy to forget its actually a college. Too often complaints that alumni that they were treated as walking dollar bills not people. Too much micromanaging my supervisors leading to high turn-over, disgruntled employees, not listening to employees, inability to change with circumstances and a lot of back-stabbing

Advice to Management

Focus on people not just ideas tossed around the Board of Trustees meetings

The Little Engine that Could

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marymount Manhattan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Motivated and talented students. Free access to all theatre productions. Small size school.

Cons

Not a lot of collaboration/communication between departments. Sometimes it seems that leadership is a bit confused.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it seems that management is constantly just putting band-aids on the issues instead of trying to get to the root of it and fix it once and for all.

RSS Feed </> Embed