Marymount University

CEO

Excellent

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Marymount University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This work place is a wonderful community. I'm not Catholic. I am a life-long AME, but I was at home and a part of the family at this warm Christian institution.

Cons

Small, so everyone get's to know you...but that was a pro for me

The new President is innovative and on the right course!

Institution is changing rapidly and not for the better.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Marymount University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most people are friendly and supportive and work together well. Good work-life balance. Salaries tend to be low but the employee benefits are good. Pretty campus.

Cons

The organization is changing rapidly and its future direction is unclear. While there is a lot of talk about transparency, decisions are very top-down and real communiccation is lacking. "Critical" initiatives come and go as priorities shift. Recent management decisions have resulted in a general feeling of distrust and decreased employee morale.

great experience

Former Employee - Clerk in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Arlington, VA

I worked at Marymount University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

people at Marymount university were very nice

Cons

there are no cons at marymount

Great school but low staff and faculty morale......

I have been working at Marymount University full-time

Pros

Students are generally great -- most want to learn. Faculty and staff are friendly and there is a community atmosphere on campus, most of the time. People genuinely seem to care about the school.

Cons

Salaries are low and recent changes by management, such as the impromptu closing of the communications department, outsourcing campus services, and early retirement "incentive" programs, along with very, very, expensive lease of new building in Ballston and plans to re-build the campus building in Ballston has many employees scratching their heads. If we can't afford to do it, it needs to wait.

Transparency is important. Having everyone contribute to cost savings conversations and then purchasing a new presidential property does not sit well. Neither does nickel and dime raises, when our comparative institutions salaries leave us in the dust. Do a cost-benefit analysis of the Ballston project. Why can't it wait a few years until we are in better financial shape?

Uncertain Future

I worked at Marymount University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An amazing community of faculty, staff, and students.

Cons

Money is extremely tight. Recent layoffs and buy-out "incentives" have decimated the staff and left those still standing with unrealistic workloads.

It's time to figure out that you can't do everything you want to do RIGHT NOW. You need to do what the rest of your staff have been doing for years and tighten your belts and in some cases put off for a year or two what you'd like to do now.

Good experience

Former Employee - Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Marymount University full-time

Pros

Catholic environment that welcomes all cultures
    Friendly staff/faculty, close-nit community where everyone knows one another
    Inclusive environment
    Great work/life balance

Cons

Enrollment is falling affecting the bottom line
    Budget cuts are being felt campus wide
    Employee morale needs a boost

Continue to be transparent with faculty and staff. Great initiatives being introduced to enhance employes experience, but they have to more consistent.

Great coworkers

I worked at Marymount University full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with

Cons

If you're in a service position you will get no respect from staff or faculty.

Be cautious about applying for any information technology position here. The department is a disaster.

I worked at Marymount University

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Free education if you haven't finished your undergrad/graduate degree. I met some great people.

Cons

The technology has been allowed to go down the toilet. I'm surprised this whole department hasn't been outsourced yet.

Network services are poorly managed by one person (yes you read that right – one person). So that means, if there is a failure (which is often because nothing was setup correctly) there is one person to fix it (reboot server). No one can stand to work for him. Despite his title and high salary he hasn’t kept up with technology (no certifications, no degree). There are a lot of tasks he should be able to do that he can’t. When he is tasked with something he can’t do, he asks his buddy consultant to remote into the MU network and fix-it for him. Everyone is given a public IP address rather utilizing NAT and subnetting. Eventually, the DHCP server runs out of IPs and people can no longer get on the network. There was no proper wireless surveying around campus. A lot of dorms have poor signal strength. The switch doesn’t have room for all the older dorms to have a wired connection. Every semester, students have to request to have their ports activated and MAC address added via e-mail. What a hassle for everyone.

AIS – manages one Datatel product. They have been without a permanent director for well over a year. Most of the employees do absolutely nothing but collect a paycheck. A lot of employees are on perpetual leave but are not missed because no one knows what they do anyways.

Support Services – The director for this department quit (not a surprise). Support services are forced to do things off network (due to the director of network services). There is no remote support of systems. You literally have to walk to every issue that someone calls for. In addition, there is no imaging over the network so that means hauling computers back and forth on campus. Software installations? Yep, get a key for a cabinet and get the software. Need to install a program on a PC in a classroom? You got 15 mins or less to go to the classroom PC to install the software before the next class (no remote management of PCs). There is a lot of grunt work with this position. A lot of areas on campus that should have permanent built-in AV equipment don’t. That means hauling heavy speakers, laptops, screens, and projectors from location-to-location. There is no desktop management and everyone gets local admin rights. So it’s not uncommon to find malware, spyware, and viruses on faculty and staff computers.

Telecom – there are a lot of crazy telecom issues. There are phones that randomly ring and drop calls. Newer technologies such as VoIP have been avoided because it’s easier to stay with older (broken) known technologies. Telecom is now challenged with looking at VoIP. Since VoIP relies on the shoddy network, I can just imagine what a disaster that will be.

Classroom tech – the cheapest contracting company put in the equipment. So the old adage, “you get what you pay for” comes into play.

Clean house. Offer a decent salary for the people on the front lines. Start completely over with the network. Make the server room look like a modern server room with proper cooling etc.

Was a very good experience as Cashier, had very good Supervisor. It was my first time working as a Cashier.

I worked at Marymount University part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

I never had any downs

No advice, the manager was perfect

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Marymount University

Pros

The enviornment is very good;
    Location is good;
    classes are compact;
    teachers are very helpful;
    schedule of classes is very convienint

Cons

parking is a huge issue
    air conditioning issues in summer