Maryville Academy

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
2.0

Richard A. Devine

Absolutely horrible, as a whole

Current Employee - Charge Nurse
    Current Employee - Charge Nurse

I have been working at Maryville Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience with various behavioral issues. And... that's all of the pros I have, sadly. This place is not great.

Cons

Management is horrible, they place random friends from other organizations into positions that make ZERO sense and ZERO purpose. Once an LPN was telling an RN what to do, which is against the nursing practice act but some random manager made him higher ranking which makes no sense. Some MHCs were more concerned about hooking up after work as opposed to the true purpose of caring for the patients. Extremely unsafe as when a code was occurring, nobody responded or there weren't enough staff to respond. High patient to nurse loads. Unreal expectations and you were expected to chart off the clock, which might I remind is illegal for hourly employees. Poor environment. Good thing the hospital is closing, as no one should be subjected to such a horrible work environment. The OSHA violations were given for a reason.

Get your head out of your..... You need to value the staff that do the grunt work because they are what makes or breaks your organization. And be real with your expectations. It's your fault the hospital is closing, quit trying to blame budgets. If you didn't have to hire so many staff due to high turnover this wouldn't be such an issue.

Your mental health is important, too.

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker  in  Bartlett, IL
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Bartlett, IL

I have been working at Maryville Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's some occasional gratification out of working with the clients. You'll avoid burning out too quickly if your expectations are set to survive the shift without feeling like you're worthless. Some of the kids really do benefit from the program and you'll occasionally observe their progress, which helps the job to feel a LITTLE fulfilling. There are some coworkers that are incredibly supportive and empathetic towards you, but they're scarce.

Cons

There is absolutely no growth working at Maryville. One of my coworkers has worked here for five years and has received a fifty cent raise. You'll be working in dangerous conditions in which there are often not enough staff present to support you. This means that you can (and will) get hit, kicked, punched, scratched, bit, and called every hurtful name you can think of. It's incredibly draining - you get paid next-to-nothing to get abused, and there is no appreciation from the management to show for it. The management is incredibly cliquey and often gossip about their staff, so you also get that additional lack of support. The only time that your supervisor will care enough to talk to you is after they're done watching you on the camera as you're getting physically beat up and cussed out, and that's only to inform you that you didn't do a good enough job. If a child decides to physically destroy your property - for, example, your car - Maryville won't pay for any damages. The hours are brutal, with almost no flexibility in your schedule. If you're working on Christmas Day, your coworker who is spending time with their families will get paid the same amount as you, even though they're not at work. This job is an absolute nightmare. As an employee, I feel like a chew toy that the management spits out whenever they please. You'll receive little to no praise, and I cannot emphasize this enough - the children WILL attack you and you'll be left to fend for yourself as staff sit on their butts and gossip about each other. You won't find teamwork here. Please, for your own sake - stay away from Maryville. A job is a job, but this place will break down every ounce of self-worth that you may have. Your goal may be to help the kids, but you can't effectively do that if your mental health is being diminished on a daily basis.

Show some appreciation to your workers. We are on the floor more than you are and we are drained from being physically attacked and verbally abused. Let your employees know that they matter and that the work they are doing is meaningful, because the kids sure don't show it. Offer some flexibility on the scheduling, hire more staff, implement safety measures that will actually keep your staff safe, and provide us with the bonuses and raises we deserve. Also consider showing some professionalism; we're not in high school. We are grown adults who are trying to make a living.

eye opener

Former Employee - Youth Care Worker  in  Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Youth Care Worker in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Maryville Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The training was fantastic. Very informative and interesting. Continual training and reviews were required.

Cons

No life/work balance. You may leave a shift in total shock.

FMLA should be considered and discussed when a crisis occurs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be Prepared to Work

Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor  in  Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Maryville Academy full-time

Pros

Good coworkers, decent pay, decent advancement

Cons

understaffed, too much overtime, high risk of injury

just hire enough seasoned staff and try not to burn your staff out.

The most unethical place I have ever worked for I would give negative stars if I could

Former Employee - Worker  in  Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Worker in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Maryville Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

It provides a pay check although small.

Cons

Unethical work practices, violating laws, intimidation tactics by Corporate Management if bring up violating laws to keep you quite in fear of loosing your job. Hostile work environment. If you have any sort of ethics this place will eat at your soul.

To the Corporate office ---Don't protect unethical behavior from high level supervisors because of their connections. Treat employees with respect. Don't knowing break the law!!!!! Don't have inconsistent labor practices amongst employees. Don't create conflict, management seems to thrive on this. Look to yourself to why you have excessive turnover. Don't go 5 years with out giving people raises because the Maryville mantra is your lucky to have a job! Have competitive benefits. Two weeks vacation for two years service is NOT competitive. Learn something from the Catholic Church scandal, covering up breaking the law and transferring unethical people is not acceptable!

So much potential.......................

I have been working at Maryville Academy full-time

Pros

The mission is incredible. The ideas behind the mission are noble.

Cons

It is an incredibly toxic and hostile environment. The processes, ideas, and systems are antiquated and inefficient. It is not where you will find the "best and brightest". People are kept on for decades moved from place to place and position to position without true thought on what is best and who the best person for the job is. The standards are very low on productivity and excellence. It is akin to just being able to keep a ship afloat and having not the time or care or sight to see if things are running smoothly or not. Changes are not embraced. Change creates tension instead of excitement for excellence. People would rather complain endlessly or get rid of the problem somehow rather than take the productive time to seek ideas for betterment, and the time to implement changes. Band aids are placed over gushing wounds instead of being surgically repaired as would be the highest good and should be the highest standard. Mediocrity and complacency are allowed to flourish. Teamwork is non-existent. It is incredibly sad to see the potential for what could be and the excellence that should be. It is incredibly frustrating to be an agent of change and excellence spending time pushing a boulder up-hill to have it ultimately stop and roll down and crush you after all your effort. And no one cares, no one applauds your excellence, no one thanks you for pushing that boulder up the hill all that time. They thank God it crashed back down, because they just want everything to stay the way it has always been. There are some people who want change and want to strive for excellence but they are few and far between and I believe they have learned it is easier to just stay quiet, shut their mouth, do their job, not "make waves" and fly below the radar rather than try to affect change and be an advocate for excellence. They realize they are fighting too big of a system and feel their voice will not be heard.......and unfortunately they are right.

Seek the truth. Open your eyes. Strive for excellence. Embrace and encourage change.
    Reward the innovators and the truth seekers. Expect excellence on every level. Investigate. Ask the employees about their truth, without repercussions. Allow them to speak candidly. Embrace their ideas, implement the changes they suggest. Encourage teamwork and team building. Provide the resources and experiences for this. Talk to everyone, from the lowest on the totem pole to the highest. Allow everyone an equal voice. Do not hide behind a curtain of ignorance, seniority, and following the the path of least resistance. Blood transfusions are desperately needed on all levels. Anemia is epidemic and people are dying. Passion is squashed. The children and families Maryville serves deserve your best, and deserve the "best and brightest" and most passionate people out there. They are not getting that. And, if you do get that, you will not retain those people because there is no place for them. I beg you to seek the truth, see the truth, accept the truth, and change the ugly truths that may be revealed........the truth is the only thing that will set Maryville free to be all that it could and should be.

This has become the worst company I've ever been employed with!

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Maryville Academy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Helping the clients, and having clients who truly appreciate the help, most of my co-workers were a good team to work with, the experience and workshops are helpful. Certain member's of the management was helpful and supportive. Unfortunately they're no longer there or has moved to other facilities.

Cons

The management has no clue on how to run the program, very poor management, they set the clients off to verbally and sometimes physically attack staff, unfair policies and procedures, staff are made to do everyone else's job while they sit amongst themselves gossiping, and plotting and scheming against staff and sometimes each other, seniority means nothing, veteran staff gets treated like crap, we've been complaining for years and no progress has been made so a union was called in. The weren't happy about the union but had they listened to their staff crying out, it would have been no cause for a union. There has been targeting, favoritism, unlimited stress (and not necessarily from the clients), and it's a very hostile environment. No room for improvement or growth in the company. So you're stuck in the same position after being there for year with no raise in pay.

I am a strong believer in "Happy Workers Make a Successful Company". If your workers are happy and are treated well and like human beings, it makes it easier for them to work well in the company. It's already a stressful environment when working with troubled youth. lately, the youth hasn't been so bad. It's the management!!! Certain managers have been promoted and kept on board that make work hell for your workers and some clients. Staff has to walk around on egg shells to avoid being picked on. We've been talked to like children and disrespected. Clients have heard members of administration gossiping and discussing staff. We've been unhappy for a long time and made numerous complaints. But nothing is being done. The company is falling apart and upper management doesn't seem to care. Take time to talk to your staff to find ways to improve your company. Not by surveys! Actually come and show you care to know what's going on in your company by sitting and talking with the people who keeps the company running by caring for your clients day in and day out. It's gotten to the point where trying to work passed all the stress and frustration to service the clients is becoming harder and harder to do. I personally want to stay and be a help to these kids. but your unfair policies and poor management makes it hard to stay. Look at your turn over rate! Staff are leaving more now because of the management! Not the expected stress of the job! Please start listening to your staff that remain dedicated to this job. They are needed to help these kids. You can try and replace them but as you will see, new staff come in briefly for the experience, then leave. In a short period of time, I've seen several quit due to management issues. Just start communicating with your staff.
                                                      Advice from
                                                      A soon to be former employee

Human Resources Intern

I worked at Maryville Academy

Pros

The HR Manager will expose you to several aspects of the field and give you the opportunity to work independently.

Cons

At times there is not a lot of guidance or organization which makes it difficult to fully grasp the process.

anonymous critiques aren't worth much

Current Employee - Communications Director  in  Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Communications Director in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Maryville Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are hundreds of dedicated employees working at Maryville, taking care of children that society or their families either could not or would not care for. On five campuses, there are hundreds of children who have suffered physical, sexual or psychological abuse and are difficult children who may have been in 50 to 60 foster homes before they arrive with Maryville.

Cons

The downside of Maryville is obvious to anyone who works here or applies: No one is going to get rich working here. For me and many others, the commute to Des Plaines or
    Bartllett can be daunting, especially during bad weather. Anonymous posts should be weighed very carefully and suspiciously, and I have been here for three years as Maryville's Communications Director, and am proud to say so.

Keep treating the children with the love and care you have for 129 years and treating the staff with the respect they deserve.

Good people on a great mission

I have been working at Maryville Academy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Helping kids is about the best way I can see to make a living, and the type of people drawn to this place are generally the kind of people you want to be around.

Cons

Dependent upon state contracts, limited room for advancement, compensation stagnant. Illinois difficulties equals difficulties for the agency. Some people have difficulty navigating Catholic Charities moral stance on issues if they are not Catholic themselves. However, I am not and it has not proven a hindrance to my success at the agency.

Worked for Maryville Academy? Contribute to the Community!