MasTec Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

1.9

MasTec Vice Chairman, President, and CEO José R. Mas
José R. Mas

Pros
  • Company van, tools, uniforms, decent benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Many great people In the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As a manager the hours exceed 60 hours a week with 6 day work weeks leaving them with very little personal time (in 3 reviews)

• expect to work long hours and six day work week without a week notice (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Big company but lacks sophistication. Typical family business. Speaking a certain language helps a lot.

Former Employee - Finance  in  Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Finance in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at MasTec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New CFO finally brings some long over-due professionalism (and a much higher IQ) to MasTec's finance dept.

Cons

A little bit amateur hour. CEO is very smart - but never worked anyplace else, so lacks the sophistication that comes with working in something other than a family business. As a result, MasTec is a bit gossipy, a bit political. Working there is a little like being in a tela novella.

Being of a certain background helps - even ineffective, gossipy A/P clerks get away with things they shouldn't because they are culturally "liked" and coordinate parties and the like. And, not being from that background adversely impacts your career. 'Nuff said.

Finance dept used to be a disaster - lots of smart people would come, stay for a year, and leave. They got tired of trying to fix the dysfunctional culture with no support from on high. Otherwise, a lot of second-stringers, has-beens, consultants, or young kids way over-promoted to roles/titles they could never hold at another company. It went on that way for years, until recently. However, the new CFO is a breath of fresh air - the finance group is no longer seen as "smarmy" or "super-old school" to potential finance candidates in Miami. Now if they'll just get rid of the finance "consultants" they brought on over the years...the worst ones are nasty and don't pull their oar.

Stop letting people go outside the chain of command to gossip to the CEO. You think you're being smart by "getting the dirt", but really all you are doing is encouraging people to spend their day gossiping and being political (rather than actually working), because the company has proven it will reward back-stabbing. And value diversity - we know it's Miami, but not everyone in this country grew up speaking a certain language. Just because one of the "chosen people" whines, it doesn't mean you need to yell at his supervisor. It could be the employee is just a bit whiny.

Great!

Current Employee - Clerical and Inventory  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Clerical and Inventory in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at MasTec as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Growing, progressive minded company with a defined emphasis on employee safety and wellness.

Cons

Need better communication among departments and better training programs.

Create a better Avenue of job openings in other projects to save money and enhance production by retaining already trained employees who are safety and career minded.

This company I bias if your Cuban,Dominican ,venazualan then you can become a manager or if the elite crew

Former Employee - Lead Tech  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Tech in Miami, FL

I worked at MasTec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get a check every 2 weeks and if u make it to the protected crew you will do great or if you pay off the right person

Cons

The will fill your head with what you will make that is a fat lie and if your not Spanish don't even waist your time applying there the structure is in place by those theifs to get ahead if your a tech with good experience don't waste your talent there I worked there for seven years and see many changes put in place to not benifit the honest or hard working people when I was quiting I reached out to the owner to contact me witch he never return my email so that tells me that he does not care and a good tech is a dime a dozen well mr mas I remember when you cared and showed up to your company but the money changes the way people care remember never forget where you came from and last. AT&T is going to own directv very soon things will change they will change a lot of things

Never forget where you came from and all the people and family's you displace for your wealth god is following you what you soe you will reap

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not go to work for Mas Tec , unless you like extremely low pay, long hours, games & stress.

Current Employee - Distribution Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Distribution Design Engineer

I have been working at MasTec full-time

Pros

A good part of doing the actual design work is enjoyable. Work schedule has some flexibility.

Cons

They tell you can make one figure, count on only half that at best! They say they are only allowing 40 hour weeks, but really what's clear is 60 hour weeks without extra pay, with threat of if you don't produce a certain amount of work every 2 weeks your fire. And that target is I'm- attainable except for a couple key people they feed easy gravy jobs to. Most people are looking for new jobs somewhere else. Mastec pay structure has taken nose dive.

Wake up! Your greed will be your downfall, smart engineers. Will never stay with your dishonesty and degrading compensation. Mas Tec , you should be ashamed of yourself!

Worst Company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Satellite Technician
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician

I have been working at MasTec full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a Job.
    Always work.
    Great training.
    Good Way to get into this field.

Cons

You spend half of your day driving from job to job. You do get paid by piece work and the pay goes by a scale with different colors, orange, blue and green and your pay goes determined by that scaled. Everything is based on some costumer services numbers NPS and POS. Costumer Satisfaction etc. The problem with the piece work pay is that you don't get paid by the miles you drive, the time you take on a job or even cancellations. All that I just mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg of all the work you do for free. I worked in 2 different installations that violated dot regulations, licenses plates and inspections expired in several of their vans. Yes you do pay 40 dollars a week to take the van home

Worst company to work for

Current Employee - DIRECT TV INSTALLER  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - DIRECT TV INSTALLER in Asheville, NC

I have been working at MasTec full-time for less than a year

Pros

They make it sound great when they hire you, and while you are in training. Discount for TV

Cons

You drive all over the place, you will start in one area then have to drive 30 mins-1 hour,(maybe more) to your next job, without pay, everything is piece pay, no hourly pay. Then supervisors complain about not being productive enough, but don't understand when you spend all your time driving between jobs, it's hard to be productive. Supervisors will not work with you. You work 6 days a week, but people are constantly asking for work. No balance for family time. You can take the company van home, but have to pay 40.00 a week to do so. You have 2 meetings a week, that you have to be there for a 6am, then work all day. There is no set time that you get off. The piece pay is very little. They are always hiring, because they can't keep good people.

My advice, schedule techs around the same area for the day, not 30 mins to an hour away between jobs. You spend more money in gas to send a tech that far between jobs, that might help your bottom line. Also, instead of hiring all the time, maybe you should invest more in good employees, quality over quantity. In addition, I would suggest maybe you go to a conference call type meeting system, where techs can call a number and be in a conference call, so that way people aren't driving over an hour to be at the office for a meeting, hence saving gas money too.

Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For!

Former Employee - Alarm Installer for Digital Life  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Alarm Installer for Digital Life in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MasTec full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to take the company van home.

Cons

Everything else! The management is terrible! They hire managers with NO experience in anything that is required on their job descriptions. HR ignores complaints about management being mean and unprofessional to EVERYONE, so we're all not sure why MasTec bothers having an HR department. The only reason that a lot of these managers are hired is because of their military background for the tax break for MasTec. The products from the company that they have partnered up with are really cheap and that company gets away blaming the MasTec employees when something goes wrong, even though the customers all complain about the products, NOT the service. Things have been getting worse since I left, so I really feel bad for everyone that's still there!

Start hiring people based on their experience, NOT for your own tax breaks. In the long run, it will not help your business to have these under-qualified managers run the operations into the ground. Also, when every single employee calls about their manager, HR should actually do something about it! You are losing good people!

Mastec needs to make changes to satellite side of business

Current Employee - Satellite Technician  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at MasTec full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a nice phone, good training, and a job. If you work close to home you are lucky.

Cons

$40 a week to take truck home, payroll deductions if a customer you serviced has a problem (most of the time not your fault) in 90days. Paid by the job but sometimes you drive 4+ hours a day once they know you been there for a while and won't just quit. MasTec sells but does not provide drill, inclinometer, light equipment, shovel, post digger, respirators.

Make this job hourly $15 starting or more depending on the cost of living in the area, because some techs get a close to home route or a area with newer houses which makes installation much easier. This makes a big difference in how much money they make. Other techs have to drive 4+ hours a day and you can't expect them to be as productive; and their income suffers to McDonald's like pay. This is what I am going through. I have spoken to supervisors and managers but they refuse to allow me to work close to home. So I am force to look for another job because I spend half my day driving and not making enough to provide for my family.

Strong company looking to improve culture after several years of financial and operational growth.

Current Employee - Wireless and Applications Support  in  Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Wireless and Applications Support in Coppell, TX

I have been working at MasTec full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company is growing at a steady pace with Advanced Technologies' service of DirecTV and AT&T Digital Life. Financial success is driving the company to improve culture and moral to retain valuable and useful employees. Many opportunities to go "above and beyond" without having to take the burden home with you.

Cons

Large companies such as this can appear to be unresponsive at times, and my experience has been 50/50 with a response rate to grievances. This is much better than other experiences I've had, but the one issue always being discussed behind the scenes but never up front is pay. Some departments can be expected to achieve incredible flexibility with little financial incentive to do so, outside of an internal merit system based on recommendations of different levels of recognition and an approval process. You get "points" that you can redeem for merchandise but that does little to pay bills.

Improve communication between field and management. Many bad ideas do get passed up, sure, but there are genuine gems. Also, an open line of communication would also signal company attitude towards sick pay policies, office and field policies, and effectiveness of programs.

Screwed over

I have been working at MasTec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advancement opportunities exists if you work hard.
    You are able to travel often.
    Many great people In the company. I built some strong relationships.

Cons

Good old boy network at its finest. Hard work is outweighed by who you know!

Get rid of the buddy system that exists. People work hard to advance and promotion of individuals who are not the best qualified candidate is a slap I the face!

Worked for MasTec? Contribute to the Community!