Masco Cabinetry Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
46 reviews filtered by
1.9
Rick Roetken

Once a great place to work, facing many fundamental challenges now.

Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Masco Cabinetry full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance (at least in engineering) for most people, varies by department. Very good discounts with other Masco companies. Great building/facilities.

Cons

A great disconnect between executives and what is happening, very poor people development across the organization, excessive politics, high nepotism in specific departments, and an abundance of working managers who are too focused on doing tasks to develop their employees.

Advice to Management

Decisions should be made on the focus of what is best for Masco Cabinetry not friends/relatives within the ranks. We have strayed far from what we were during our successful years, while the focus on the bottom line is needed, balancing the development of people, true continuous improvement, implementation of actual processes, and reconnect with the business besides just assuming that you know what is best are all truly needed also.

Great Building / Poor Management

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Masco Cabinetry full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful office building in Ann Arbor. Employees at Managers level and below are great to work with and very eager to work hard and drive for results.

Cons

Director level and above management is extremely political. They are indecisive and will not challenge the executive staff for fear of being released. Executive team manages by fear.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

3. Overall Good Experience

I worked at Masco Cabinetry

Pros

Fair compensation with salary and commission, and the reps have a fair amount of say in decision making for their personal territory.

Cons

There are some managers that like to micro-manage the territory reps, not conducive for selling.

Advice to Management

Let reps have a little more freedom to sell.

If it is too cold, get of the kitchen!

Former Employee - Dealer Development in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Dealer Development in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Masco Cabinetry full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on cabinetry if you like Country Cabin look.
    Great people to work with on your team.

Cons

Cut traveling budget and couldn't do my job well to build relationships with dealers.
    Can't build relationships online with silly PowerPoint presentations.
    Management is quick to hire you then lets you go.
    Upper management is aloof and out of touch with trends- IKEA is killing you guys

Advice to Management

Do some soul searching and basic forecasting of your needs before you hire people.

Not a bad company, just BAD managers

Current Employee - Office Employee in Duncanville, TX
    Current Employee - Office Employee in Duncanville, TX

I have been working at Masco Cabinetry

Pros

Good benefits, hard working employees

Cons

Managers only want to yell at you, put you down in front of others. Only .10 cent raises and they act like you should be grateful the rest of your life.

Advice to Management

Treat others how you want to be treated. Treat employees with respect and dignity. Be a team player don't just demand and demand.

7. Great place to work and grow.

Current Employee - Field Liaison in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Field Liaison in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Masco Cabinetry

Pros

Progressive, Forward thinking..Fast paced.

Cons

Salaries need to be more competitive.

STAY FAR AWAY. Don't let the building aesthetics sell you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Masco Cabinetry full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-A paycheck, extremely flexible work/life balance (because the work is either way too easy or unnecessary and even management in my department left the building before 4pm daily), in-house cafeteria, lots of windows throughout the building make the cube farm more tolerable
    -I was able to work cross-functionally a bit, but the work I helped complete was very menial and boring. Management involved me in other projects just to create the illusion that they promote cross-functionality and personal growth/development.

Cons

-Pay is low and raises are either non-existent or not awarded to deserving individuals. The company is struggling financially and has not given appropriate raises to even promoted individuals.
    -Management/HR does not value or even acknowledge employee retention. They hire process-oriented people to 'check the boxes', rather than identify and develop top talent and reward them to keep them on board.
    -The industry itself is boring and struggling. It's too volatile for stability, and the company does little to adjust to economic changes. Typical response to a struggling market is to ax a project/employee/department/etc. impulsively, rather than strategize on how to adapt the business.
    -Management simply does not care. They have 'catch up' meetings with employees just to say they communicate and 'lead', yet the advice provided is unhelpful and they do not care about long term career growth.
    -HR is an absolute joke. They focus more on employees' water breaks, bathroom schedules, and in-work socializing than work product. Additionally, they have no business being in a corporate setting and do nothing to lessen the evident capital flight.

Advice to Management

-Be stronger leaders and retain top talent, rather than go through the motions.
    -Think about the big picture and stop making impulsive moves that not only hurt the company, but hurt YOU in the long term.
    -Hire qualified individuals...You are located near one of the nation's finest universities, yet you do not use that to your advantage to hire alums or network with talented individuals. Lots of process-driven people who are underqualified, lazy, and lack ambition.
    -Reward top talent to retain employees and develop long term plans for people who can be strong leaders in the organization.

9. Very boring, generally stupid work

Former Employee - Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer

I worked at Masco Cabinetry

Pros

Manager was very friendly, people wanted you to succeed
    Free coffee, 401 (k) matching
    Great work/life balance because you never really do anything

Cons

No training whatsoever, the work is trivial and you always feel as if you are just going through the motions to stay busy. Tasks given are not in line with the level of education attained by the person.

Advice to Management

Have goals, any goals, and keep them

Awful Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Masco Cabinetry

Pros

There isnt anything good to say

Cons

No communication, favoritism, No advancement opportunities.Salary employees continue to get raises while hourly employees continue to hear why they cant get raises.When corporate comes to town,a couple of employees are ask to stay home or away.Charlotte service center is very good at hiding numbers as well.Aweful leadership.They rip customers off with used cabinets as well

Advice to Management

You only advance or get hired if you have a personal relationship with your manager off the clock.Its not fair that certain employees can get 10 to 20k raises to stay and then shoot down the hourly employees and tell them to find work elsewhere if they dont like it.

company that thrives on stress and pressure

I have been working at Masco Cabinetry

Pros

the only reason they hang on to employees is because the salary and benefits are good. Too hard to find another job to match salary and benefits.

Cons

Never worked in a place with such low morale....across the board

Advice to Management

Train your supervisors and those in position of lead. They should go to classes on how to treat those under them. Train them how to be professional, approachable and genuinely encouraging. Then after training them, hold them accountable! I've seen employees ripped apart and belittled in front of others by supervisors. I've seen supervisors moody and snappish with employees. There are some that no one wants to go to with a question for fear of being talked "down" to or snapped at or brushed off. They are in a leadership position and have a responsibility to behave in a professional manner, but they don't. When the big-wigs come down from Michigan, the supervisors suddenly become charming and tell us how wonderful we are. Too bad one of the big-wigs can't be invisible on a normal day. They'd sure be surprised. Culture is all about management. If you have poor management, the culture of your workplace sinks to low morale. Oh, and no one can say anything, even if asked how we feel about our job in a meeting. Everyone lies because we've witnessed people give constructive criticism and guess what? They eventually lost their job. So we all pretend and keep hoping we can find another job with good pay and benefits.