Masco

Tim Wadhams

Masco Corporate Office

Detroit, MI

I worked at Masco

ProsMasco is fairly good on work life balance. They understand that people generally have a life away from work and are accommodative on time off and professional development.

ConsCommunication is poor and the "top-down" organizational structure makes it difficult to understand what the strategic vision of the company is. Thus, on a day-to-day basis, its hard to see how your work is relevant, and you don't really feel like you're making a difference or your position is important.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to get to know what lower-level employees are working on and have some dialogue with them on what they can do to help the company.

Great place to work but be prepared for a disconnect between employees and management

Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Masco

ProsOpportunities to learn the overall operation of the industry. Excellent work times 8-5. Human resources does a great job of explaining benifits and is willing to help employees achive their goals. If you have the drive and ambition to succeed run can learn a lot about the business because other employees are willing to help and give you information about the company

ConsCommunication among employees and management. Employees are not sure of the goals and management doesn't give an explanation of the current goals. No system of measurment for the daily activities within the organization. Management allows products to be back ordered for up to a year and by the time the product is received customer has moved on. Company culture is not strong because of the management/employee disconnect.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the office and on to the floor of the business. Management does not understand the employees and doesn't look for opportunities in the organization and for its customers.

Masco Corp. focuses on health and well-being as an employee.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco

ProsGreat people to be around, most of the staff are easing going and laid back particularly outside of the office. Broad range of staff as well, which gives many different viewpoints. Many get a laptop for work. Staff is not competitive with each other, and are striving to work well and develop the business.

Salary is okay, not wholly satisfied. Bonuses and raises are based primarily on performance, but during the downturn who knows. Great cafeteria, the food and staff are really nice. Masco also offers a full gym with several treadmills, bikes ellipticals, free weights, and machines. There is an on-site certified trainer from 8:30-5. Also, offers work out classes.

ConsMany cuts have been made and job security is a little frightful. There is little feedback or communication on individual performance. It would be nice if there were career mentors available. Tasks seem to be limited to the scope of management, there is little room for individual innovation or thinking. Its definitely a top down approach with a new flavor of the month.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering the economy and being centered in housing, I don't think there is much more they could be doing.

A hugely ethical company that is interested in the people

I have been working at Masco

ProsLearning and Development opportunities have been way beyond expectation, even in an economic downturn, the focus on continuous improvement will have placed MASCO in an extraordinary position when housing starts begin to climb in both the US and Europe

Conscan't think of any, this company has been the best I have worked for

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing

Very week on implementation & no clear vision

I worked at Masco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent benefits.
Fair wages.
I loved the people I worked directly with. There are a lot of talented people that work hard and truly want to see the company succeed.
Their inefficiencies are probably not uncommon in large holding companies

ConsMasco failed many years ago to set a course to win through innovation and change when the economy was starting to go south. Instead it seems that they scaled back, and are waiting for business to come back - and it is not going to. Inaction will be their true failure.

On-boarding process is terrible - no company background, no clarity on how your role fits into the bigger picture.

For me personally there was lots of overtime put in (nights and weekends), a lot of travel, and no policy for comp time.

Unlike other large corporations I have worked for, there is no clear vision, or message for how the company wants to grow and win.

Although many play in the same space, the business units do not communicate with each other, share learning, or partner to create bigger wins - this creates doubling of efforts, waters down brands, and shows weakness to retailers.

You can be at this company for years any not have awareness of what corporate services are available, what businesses Masco owns, or what research & development projects are in the works.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a clear vision for all Masco employees. Force collaboration between businesses to create one pipeline for products and service offerings. Create clear brand differentiation with your many competing brands.

Great

I have been working at Masco full-time

Prosgreat work, learned alot, work independantly

Consnone at this time to

Good company

I have been working at Masco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company to work for. strong leadership team, Good brand. Great team environment. Positive future.

Consnothing really at this time to say, except the operating companies are not connected as much as they could be

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

FUN TO FRUSTRATING

MRSS Field Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Masco

ProsBenefits were better tan most previous employers

ConsScheduling system and "ANAL" boss

We were called "the best in the business" at MRSS, not so much now I guess.

District Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Masco

ProsAbility to work independently.
Flexibility in hours.
Great heath benefits.
It's hard to come up with anything else to say positively.

ConsDirection of the company changes like a spinning top.
Increasing costs of doing business passed down to employees.
Get some honest useful analytics, and stop the pseudo-analytics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe sales and service arm of Masco seems to be unsure of their identity. Stick with the values we had years ago, when MRSS was the best. Don't sacrifice common sense. End the flavor of the week. Stop making your associates twist in the wind.

Great place for motivated people to work

I have been working at Masco

ProsEmployees who are highly motivated to take on more responsibilty and work hard are often rewarded with future job opportunities. The latest focus on talent development only works for those who chose to persue development (see cons). Great place to work if you are a type A or B personality.

Masco is become much more flexible so employees can enjoy better work life balance. Once a stuffy professional atmosphere, has given way to a collaborative, business casual environment that works.

ConsMasco is very slow to deal with employees who "coast" and dont' do their fair share.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team is doing a great job, but the layer of management just below needs to sing the same tune. Not everyone is on the same page.

Worked for Masco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Masco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Masco CEO Tim Wadhams. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Masco employees.