Masco Contractor Services

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Masco Contractor Services CEO Robert Buck

Robert Buck

Not the best

ProsThe employees are very skilled and good to work with. The company has safety as a priority.

ConsProblems with teamwork between the main office and branches. Not much support from upper management but always willing to listen. Not bad place to work.

how can this be happening and where do we go from here?

Lead Installer (Current Employee)

Prostools and equipment provided and in my experience of higher quality than other companies I have worked for.
    insurance and 401k. Piece rate pay usually is livable if you are a hard worker who does quality work. 35-40k
    Safety program is getting better as in the past there was a "what ever it takes mentality that put installers at high risk" now an installer determine a job is unsafe with out fear of retribution.

Consstress level is unacceptable. Lies, masco claims to have top quality installers who are trained to be the best at quality and safety yet most installers are fairly new and often have no experience. Installers are trained by other installers with no standard. (think- Don't train your replacement) the sales staff are scripted to guarantee on time performance yet we have the worst track record for scheduling. We use ORACLE!!! kill me now, this program will be the death of the company. Constant problems with time clocks, accuracy of pay, system crashes and hours on the phone with tech support. Manager turn over is mind blowing. 1/10 of your co workers will be loyal, hard working, skilled professionals as the best of the best have nearly all gone to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHIRE WITHIN!!! remember when you first bought all of those little insulation companies a crossed the country? just a few years after (before oracle and mountains of politics and corporate greed) things were going great at the installer level, lots of work, good pay, take time off when ever you needed, your manager once was an installer, sales man and friend. you could become a "master installer", you got a hat and some shirts that said you were a high quality installer and it felt good to be recognized. there were bonuses and incentives that were fair and attainable. We witnessed the ability to move up in the company therefore we had incentive to be the best at what we did in hopes of being selected for the next step up the ladder. treat each branch as its own, stop wasting the money we make you to pay people to keep track of every little tiny thing so you can afford to keep up with wages that should rise with the cost of living. I make less per square foot now than I did in 2002 when gas was like 1.50 a gallon, now its 4.00. gas/food/water/electricity/insurance all going up up up and the pay isn't even close to keeping up. how can it? other companies don't have 23 million dollar ceo bonuses to pay out. if you want to build a powerful company make it a company people love to work for! Happy employees are hard working ones. I don't have an opinion on our ceo Robert buck as I only know his name but I would say this if your listening Robert buck, "undercover boss" n/w region. lets get the spaghetti off of the graph paper. great potential at gale if only we could weed out all of the blanket policies, red tape and computer dependency. Its just not working

So poorly managed its depressing

Office (Current Employee)
    Bessemer, AL

ProsYou can pretty much do whatever you want

ConsYou can pretty much do whatever you want. Manager is a raging idiot who can't even spell or write a coherent email. When you reach out to corporate for help they reprimand you. Treat the installers like they are nobody and work the few people who do give a crap absolutely to death for an embarrassing wage. Has the potential to be a fantastic company but it is ran by complete dullards who are out of touch with reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a real manager who is there to actually manage and help the employees. Make them feel like they are part of something great.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Installer

Gutter Installer (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a job. You can get medical insurance and 401k. You get paid by the piece so you have to work your butt off.

ConsVery little opportunity for promotion, if you are good at what you do they will keep you at that position for ever
    just so you can keep producing, management does not give a dam about you. Work can be very dangerous
    and they don't care how it gets done, just as long as it gets done. Its all about the money with out any concern
    or care for the employees. corporate does not care about what goes on in each division, just how much money
    is being made.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and on individual basis and get a real cense of what is going on in the subdivision.
    They hire people with fancy degrees that never touched a tool in they're life to tell a construction worker
    how to do his job.

I'm Embarrassed of My Boss

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSome of your coworkers are fun to be around, even outside of work.

ConsI am not sure who or what division started this, but they are hiring people with no background in construction to be the puppet masters in this side show called MCS. Old coworkers of said management are being employed now too because they are hired by their former bosses. This creates a very biased atmosphere, favoritism, a very ignorant team, and silly/stupid mistakes. Who benefits by this? Only those involved, as the company in many markets have taken monthly losses due to high overhead, mistakes on the job because of some one in the sales arena not catching it beforehand, and extremely high turnover due to poor management decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people without proper knowledge of their job...

Good Company, Low Pay

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros- Benefits
    - Non Recoverable Draw (while building book of business)
    - Some Ability to Advance Career

Cons- No Sales Training
    - Low Base Pay
    - Long Hours (7 am - 6 pm)
    - Low Commission Percentage

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they're worth. You are losing great people to other companies who are willing to pay their employees the money they need to provide for their families.

money can be good, but it is directly affected by non qualified salaried managers and scheduling staff. Augusta, GA.

Insulation Installer (Former Employee)

Prosthere is potential to make outstanding money at times. AS LONG AS, all of the people are on point with their duties, as in scheduling, inventory, routing of the daily trucks.. this was not the case at the Augusta, GA location. I must point out that installers are paid on a "piece-rate", meaning you get paid by your unit of production. so all around you are getting paid even if they are unable to perform their duties to an acceptable degree... yet your pay suffers

Consnice benefits. some nice people at the division level. but there is also a very low morale, and corporate does not have a clue about the realities of construction services at the ground floor. work is also not distributed in a fair manner... if you are not a favorite, you basically get starved out.
      also weather can be a major factor. and there are no safeguards at all to protect the installers.
     positions filled from outside the company despite qualified many qualified employees.

Advice to Senior Managementquit saying you care about employees.. and actually care about installers, they are the ones making the money for all of you

Major transformation over the last few years

Daytona Beach, FL

ProsExcellent company with high integrity and accountability. Management team is almost completely new over this time frame and is top notch. The company has a lot of opportunity for advancement and movement into new roles.

ConsVery fast paced and expectations of high quality. Not a con unless you aren't the type who can keep up and produce good work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and moving this company forward

Great opportunities and Awesome Company Culture

ProsSpecial projects always available to enhance experience and duties.

ConsThere are frequent Lay offs in some departments.

Worst company I have every worked for!

Insulation Installer (Former Employee)

ProsMonday through Friday...MOST of the time. The guys I worked with were cool.

ConsFavoritism, unprofessional, terrible working conditions, terrible equipment...and I could proudly pass a drug test. That's not a "con", but read between the lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou tell us one thing, and do another. By far, the least professional organization I have ever been a part of. The salesman are also lazy turds. The installers can not properly do their job because of how lazy the salesman are. You need to take a good look at what's going on. Take the blinders off.

Worked for Masco Contractor Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Masco Contractor Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Masco Contractor Services CEO Robert Buck. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Masco Contractor Services employees.