Masco

3.2

Masco President, CEO, and Director Tim Wadhams
Tim Wadhams

Great

I have been working at Masco full-time

Pros

great work, learned alot, work independantly

Cons

none at this time to

No Strategy, No Leadership, Facile People Who Don't Deliver Get Ahead

Current Employee - Masco Corporate Marketing in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Masco Corporate Marketing in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Potentially interesting portfolio of brands and products.

Cons

A CEO who should have retired 5 years ago, can't decide if it is a disjointed collection of buinesses or an integrated company, of late there is a penchant to 'go back' to the holding company model (which has totally run out of gas...). Indecision, paralysis and mediocre talent at the Sr Leadership level equals a company to stay away from.

The Board of Directors needs to be much more hands on and work with the current CEO to find a new leader outside of the company. Fresh blood must be brought in at the corporate VP level, and quickly. The CEO needs to be much more critical of how strategies are being deployed in the company.

Milgard is the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Temecula, CA

I worked at Masco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dress down Fridays, coworkers were the best. They do hire and promote from within, so if you want to move up you can, or switch to a different department. Decent product just sometimes the level and cost of servicing it is not considered when new product is offered.

Cons

no raises for years or they were very small. Micro-management became more the norm after Masco took over. If they want you out they will find a way to get you, I've seen it numerous times-Don't make upper management look bad, even by accident. Made bonus' impossible to achieve. Took away almost all employee functions. Very high turnover of employees.

Take care of your employees and the customers will come. They still had big parties for the dealers but cut all the employee fun. I would reccommend firing almost all upper management in Temecula and some middle management. That place is horrific. The philosophy does not exist anymore.

no contracts

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Masco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

everything is negotiable so also push for more

Cons

annual increase is minimum and sometimes none

Good company

I have been working at Masco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. strong leadership team, Good brand. Great team environment. Positive future.

Cons

nothing really at this time to say, except the operating companies are not connected as much as they could be

Keep up the good work

No growth opportunity for support personnel

Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco

Pros

The health benefits are much better than previous companies; on-site cafe; matching gifts; the company closes for the week between Christmas Eve and New Year's. There is a gym on-site. 4% match for 401k. Annual bonus and profit sharing.

Cons

Minimum to zero advancement potential for support personnel. I have never had a performance review. They are so focused on bringing in good young talent that they make everyone that has been there for years feel undervalued. Support personnel are continuously left out of department meetings, not given any projects, basically made to feel that we are not an important part of the team. Telecommuting policy is not fairly governed.

Lots of red tape for every little idea you may have, legal has to look at everything and takes weeks to respond. IT Help Desk is in bad shape, but they are genuinely pleasant people. It seems to be a lack of direction.

The HQ building has so much empty space (waste of money) and should be moved to Ann Arbor with Cabinetry. According to our last all-employee meeting, layoffs are coming AGAIN. Staff are tired of seeing their co-workers terminated. Morale is pitiful. It feels as if there is a constant threat, and there are a couple director level employees who seem to get energized by firing people. These are the type of people that become executives in the company. The "atmosphere" has changed so much.

It is very heartbreaking as this used to be a wonderful company. I hope that Masco can find its way back, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

In general, I cannot recommend Masco to any interested support level candidates. That said, if you are an executive level employee, you will probably be quite pleased, especially as there are extra perks for execs. I think the extra perks would make up for some of the low morale, etc. that you will face. So, please don't let my review hold you back if you are at that level. It is only for the office workers that the situation is truly dire.

Great Company...Lots of Potential!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Masco

Pros

Masco is a growing, ever-changing company. They are constantly working to improve the way they do business and to improve the customer service they provide.

Cons

Because they are in such a growth mode, they often stretch resources beyond their limits.

Be more proactive in creating the infrastructure needed to support change and growth. Clean house, if necessary, to get rid of anyone who is not on the same team or who is not able to produce the results necessary for the company's success. Hire people that can build the teams needed to get the job done right! Automate!!! Keep it Simple!!!

FUN TO FRUSTRATING

Current Employee - MRSS Field Representative
    Current Employee - MRSS Field Representative

I have been working at Masco

Pros

Benefits were better tan most previous employers

Cons

Scheduling system and "ANAL" boss

We were called "the best in the business" at MRSS, not so much now I guess.

Former Employee - District Representative
    Former Employee - District Representative

I worked at Masco

Pros

Ability to work independently.
    Flexibility in hours.
    Great heath benefits.
    It's hard to come up with anything else to say positively.

Cons

Direction of the company changes like a spinning top.
    Increasing costs of doing business passed down to employees.
    Get some honest useful analytics, and stop the pseudo-analytics.

The sales and service arm of Masco seems to be unsure of their identity. Stick with the values we had years ago, when MRSS was the best. Don't sacrifice common sense. End the flavor of the week. Stop making your associates twist in the wind.

Great place for motivated people to work

I have been working at Masco

Pros

Employees who are highly motivated to take on more responsibilty and work hard are often rewarded with future job opportunities. The latest focus on talent development only works for those who chose to persue development (see cons). Great place to work if you are a type A or B personality.

Masco is become much more flexible so employees can enjoy better work life balance. Once a stuffy professional atmosphere, has given way to a collaborative, business casual environment that works.

Cons

Masco is very slow to deal with employees who "coast" and dont' do their fair share.

The management team is doing a great job, but the layer of management just below needs to sing the same tune. Not everyone is on the same page.

Masco Photos