Masco

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I had a great run.....

Former Employee - Professional in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Professional in Taylor, MI

I worked at Masco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for, excellent benefits and growth opportunities especially in Legal, Audit and Finance

Cons

Culturally and strategically in a change phase

Value your employees as they are your biggest asset

Ups and downs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I worked at Masco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers are very talented. Reasonable hours and good working conditions. Average salary but bonuses and other perks make up for it. Very diverse and interesting work during the up periods. International company with many opportunities to make a difference.

Cons

Current executive management is beholden to Wall Street and makes decisions based on the current quarter instead of the next five years.

Invest in the company not in the shareholders and focus on product quality!

New Leadership Bringing Company Down

Current Employee - Marketing in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Holiday Schedule (closed Xmas to NYE), Awesome Portfolio of Brands

Cons

Nepotism is Rampant, Lack of Diversity, Weak Benefits

Promote ppl based off of results & experience. Place more value in hard working employees.

Great place for interns

Former Employee - Intern in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Taylor, MI

I worked at Masco as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good experience to build resume, decent pay especially compared to other job options (retail, fast food) available to college students,flexible enough to take classes part time while interning, gym onsite with free fitness classes, full service cafeteria onsite with subsidized prices, frequently allows long-term internships past 1 semester, community service opportunites

Cons

Low starting salary for full time hires after internship - can get higher wages by going to a company you didn't intern for.

Tax Accountant

Former Employee - Tax in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Tax in Taylor, MI

I worked at Masco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, excellent environment, Company emphasized on maintaining healthy life style.

Cons

Unfortunately there is a lot favoritism not necessary to all of the department, in my situation there was. other than that a great company.

Please value loyalty, and be patience with new hired, train them well, great foundation will help. Focus on developing employees for the long run, and look for favoritism

My internship here has been great and would love to come back in the future.

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Subsidized food and drinks, so awesome cheap food. Benefits, pay and work life balance even as an intern are great. Managers actually care about staff development. Opportunities to grow and learn new things on the job. Can rotate departments for additional internship experience.

Cons

Work is often repetitive and down time from work has to be filled with busy work that doesn't develop many skill sets.

Keep doing what you're doing, I love the atmosphere and the people.

Tax Accountant

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Taylor, MI

I worked at Masco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Job stability is affected by the connections you have with people from the company.

No Strategy, No Leadership, Facile People Who Don't Deliver Get Ahead

Current Employee - Masco Corporate Marketing in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Masco Corporate Marketing in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Potentially interesting portfolio of brands and products.

Cons

A CEO who should have retired 5 years ago, can't decide if it is a disjointed collection of buinesses or an integrated company, of late there is a penchant to 'go back' to the holding company model (which has totally run out of gas...). Indecision, paralysis and mediocre talent at the Sr Leadership level equals a company to stay away from.

The Board of Directors needs to be much more hands on and work with the current CEO to find a new leader outside of the company. Fresh blood must be brought in at the corporate VP level, and quickly. The CEO needs to be much more critical of how strategies are being deployed in the company.

No growth opportunity for support personnel

Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Masco

Pros

The health benefits are much better than previous companies; on-site cafe; matching gifts; the company closes for the week between Christmas Eve and New Year's. There is a gym on-site. 4% match for 401k. Annual bonus and profit sharing.

Cons

Minimum to zero advancement potential for support personnel. I have never had a performance review. They are so focused on bringing in good young talent that they make everyone that has been there for years feel undervalued. Support personnel are continuously left out of department meetings, not given any projects, basically made to feel that we are not an important part of the team. Telecommuting policy is not fairly governed.

Lots of red tape for every little idea you may have, legal has to look at everything and takes weeks to respond. IT Help Desk is in bad shape, but they are genuinely pleasant people. It seems to be a lack of direction.

The HQ building has so much empty space (waste of money) and should be moved to Ann Arbor with Cabinetry. According to our last all-employee meeting, layoffs are coming AGAIN. Staff are tired of seeing their co-workers terminated. Morale is pitiful. It feels as if there is a constant threat, and there are a couple director level employees who seem to get energized by firing people. These are the type of people that become executives in the company. The "atmosphere" has changed so much.

It is very heartbreaking as this used to be a wonderful company. I hope that Masco can find its way back, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

In general, I cannot recommend Masco to any interested support level candidates. That said, if you are an executive level employee, you will probably be quite pleased, especially as there are extra perks for execs. I think the extra perks would make up for some of the low morale, etc. that you will face. So, please don't let my review hold you back if you are at that level. It is only for the office workers that the situation is truly dire.

Economy has hit Masco hard

I worked at Masco

Pros

Masco used to be a great company and still has a number of good people. Pay and benefits were once highly competitive.

Cons

The economic slowdown has hit this company hard and barely resembles the same place I worked at. Management used to promote a family atmosphere, that no longer exists.

Pray that the housing market improves and get back to be the kind of company Ray Kennedy used to run.

Masco Photos