Masergy Communications

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
3.8

Chris MacFarland

In 22 years in IT, I've never worked for a company that does a better job of making its employees feel significant.

Current Employee - Director of Product Management  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Plano, TX

I have been working at Masergy Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Masergy treats you like an adult professional. No one is looking over your shoulder and micromanaging you, while at the same time everyone is willing to go out of their way to step up and help when you need it. Masergy invests of its time and money in the community, recognizing and supporting worthy causes, putting people first always. The pay is generous as compared with the industry, as are the benefits, and the work setting is casual and comfortable, yet professional in every regard. I always look forward to coming to work here.

Cons

Masergy is growing at a rapid rate, and every company in that position deals with growing pains of some kind. Ours are wrapped around tackling the different ways between small companies and large companies define policies and procedures, as well as even the smaller details, such as how to effectively manage "office space" or keep employee directories and org charts up-to-date. The good news is that all of this will, in time, rectify itself.

A stronger 401k match would be great, as well as paid covered parking for Director-level and above employees. Adopt and implement a clearly-defined emergency action plan, and introduce measures to identify and secure employees in the office as we grow exponentially.

Exciting company that is continuing to rise

I have been working at Masergy Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

smaller company that is on the rise. Innovative products and a true focus on providing superior customer support that permeates into the corporate culture. Opportunities to work and think out of the box.
    Management is accessible and involved.

Cons

Growing pains. The company recognizes them and works to resolve them.

Keep on doing what you are doing. Its working

Great company to work for - Cool technology & Smart people!

I have been working at Masergy Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits with great bonus program. Work hard, Play hard culture!

Cons

Working at a smaller company, you get to do what a whole department might be responsible for in larger organizations:) This is great for career growth and learning experience but sometimes can get overwhelming with too many projects and too little time!

Keep up the great momentum and continue to innovate so we can stay ahead of the competition!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Good Company with top notch software developers.

Former Employee - NOC Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Masergy Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of there systems are new and adaptable to the users without any cumbersome "legacy" systems.

Cons

Compensation is very low for what you are responsible to know. Analysts work bad hours and weekends
    and the higher tier analysts have very unpopular on call duties.

They should consider hiring higher tier analyst for each shift and eliminate pushback from from the on call personnel back to the front line employees.

Oversold their willingness to reimburse me for certifications, but the paperwork would've made me an indentured servant

Former Employee - NOC Analyst  in  Addison, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Analyst in Addison, TX

I worked at Masergy Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Steady paycheck, steady work. Offers benefits, though they're a bit expensive.

Cons

When interviewed, they asked at least three times if I had a wife and kids (I'm pretty sure this is illegal), making it clear that they intended to screw me on shifts and hours in a 24-hour operational environment.

Once they sent their offer, I went through the fine print and discovered that their intent was to "recoup training costs" from me to the tune of up to 10k on a sliding scale depending on how much time had passed since I was hired (falling down to zero dollars at 24 months), and that if I pursued any external training, that external training would similarly start a 24-month timer where I would have to pay them a portion of the training's cost if I left too early.

On top of that, the same paperwork explicitly stated that MASERGY was not obligated to reimburse me for any certs gained, despite that being the single positive point of the entire interview (we'll only pay you 30k/year, and we'll need you to come in at night, on weekends, and on holidays, but look at all these certs we'll pay you to get!).

The "training reimbursement" fees of 10k etc were clearly only there to keep someone who literally can't afford the fee in the job position, turning the entire endeavor into a going-nowhere indentured servitude. This company clearly doesn't care about its employees, their advancement, or their benefit to the company.

When a company doesn't see employee training as beneficial to the company, run.

When a company responds to high turnover by implementing indentured servitude instead of addressing the problems that cause the turnover, run.

Tidy up your interview tactics before someone comes in with a recording device and shuts you down.

In have never worked for a company that is so open, dynamic, engaged and involved.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Masergy Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture and core values are something you see through employee interactions and decision making. Masergy truly lives and executes by these. Customer service is number one and it shows in our record breaking NPS score and industry recognition. Everyone is engaged and involved in driving the process and delivering the products and services. Partners, customers and employees are always first and transparency and accountability are the norm. Employee recognition and monthly engagement events are fun and rewarding. Benefits are great with day one eligibility and the PTO programs are awesome. Whats not to love? A retention rate of 88% and the fact that 74% of the staff have been here 5 years or longer says it all.

Cons

Keeping up with the rapid growth and making sure we can scale up and productize new products or services. What a great problem to have!

The CEO Luncheons, monthly lunch and learns and employee engagement activities are great. Thanks for doing this.

Smart tech company on the way up.

Former Employee - Global Account Management  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Global Account Management in Plano, TX

I worked at Masergy Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid management, smart investments, great business model, good compensation and benefits...great people.

Cons

Too Dallas-centric. I think the company has about five members of management outside of the corporate HQ.

Remember that people outside of Texas need a career path.

too many politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Masergy Communications

Pros

pay is decent and a good place to gain experience

Cons

most of the people are nice, but there are some that are obnoxiously arrogant. also, politics galore.

Masergy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Masergy Communications

Pros

good pay some great and nice people

Cons

they do not let you know where you stand small company with lots of politics. No advancement opportunities due to size good ole boys run this co. they do a good job but shut others out

be fair

My view of Masergy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Masergy Communications

Pros

eveyone is very friendly and relaxed. Very casual atmosphere. Allowed to get creative and to do things I can't do at other jobs

Cons

Way to many secrets and inter-office war-ing. people love to misdirect here. Secrets are common and things aren't shared with very well.

management needs to connect with the people more. some secrets are ok, but not everything needs to be wrapped in layers of tin foil.

Masergy Communications Photos

Worked for Masergy Communications? Contribute to the Community!