Mashery

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mashery Co-Founder & CEO Oren Michels

Oren Michels

This is an amazing place to work.

ProsGreat people, cutting edge technology, industry leaders. What more could I want.

ConsEvery one is very strong so the bar is set very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Mashery has been an invaluable resource for experience!

San Francisco, CA

Pros-Throughout my entire tenure here at Mashery I have never felt bored, disappointed or undervalued as an employee.
    -I have experienced constant personal and organizational growth.
    -Mashery was purchased by Intel in May of 2013 and, unlike most acquisitions, we have been for the most part independent and unaffected by the larger Intel umbrella.
    -We are an open-door organization. Anytime you have a question for someone on the leadership team you are encouraged to reach out directly and they respond quickly and encourage you to pop into their offices whenever they are free.
    -Great office locations in San Francisco, Boston and NYC

ConsFor certain roles within the organization there is a "hire from outside" mentality. It would be nice to see future talent acquisitions to happen from within since we house the brightest minds in API Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate programs for career exploration within the organization.

Great Company

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture, great pay, friendly people, smart driven, market leading product, not a ton of competition, great company vision - fully stocked kitchen, work from home when needed

Consnot sure of the full scop of future direction since intel acquisition. Mashery is intelizing and don't know how much longer a lot of the executives who enforce the amazing culture and brand are going to stick around

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The people, technology and market are all fun, smart and solid

Pros7 year old company that operates like a startup, but operationalizing into a true enterprise player. Excellent culture. Leadership not driven by butt-in-seat-hours, but get-stuff-done attitude, execution and results. Pay and benefits are very attractive.

ConsAt this stage, the company is no longer truly a startup despite it's spirit. Now that the company has been acquired by Intel, startup package stock grants are no longer on the table.

Fantastic group of people

San Francisco, CA

Pros* The first senior management I've ever worked with that I honestly believe cares deeply about employees.
    * Also balance the first point with taking care of the customers. There's a reason the dev community is so strong - maintaining a strong and engaged community is not easy but Mashery does it well.
    * Really great employee base, on average smarter and more fun than any other company I've worked with in the past.
    * Solid comp
    * A product which actually has great real-world ramifications... take a look at the customer base and it's not all web/advertising, the company helps health, retail, finance, travel, you name it - really gives you the sense you are making a tangible difference.
    * Management REALLY listens. I've suggested things that would have taken months to push through at prior companies which were implemented in a week.

Cons* Honestly hard to think of any, outside very normal startup-turned-aquisition stuff (like dealing with legacy technical debt while being absorbed into a massive company like Intel). Even these issues seem very surmountable with the management we have in place.
    * Some of the old-timers have gotten very stuck in their ways - the company is entering a new phase and winging everything with no process is not going to scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing great. Keep it up. Make sure to take input from new hires who have good experience growing companies in this phase of the game.

Great culture, people care and listen, but some people have too much klout

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people, great brand, good perks (open kitchen, occasional lunches and breakfast), great SF location, smart people, open door policy and great work life balance and culture.

ConsSome people can get looked over due to long time employee feedback, top / mid level Managment structure, not utilizing the talents of employees effectively. Decisions for some reason are hard to make. Certain people have more Klout than others and get different treatment. Sold to Intel, who knows what the future looks like, no more (flexible vacation) and everyone has a number now.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone Intel will not listen soon.

Fun group of people

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people make it a fun place to work. Great benefits & perks. Very flexible work schedule. The location in downtown SF is perfect. Business outlook is also very good.

ConsTurnover has been relatively higher than what I've experienced in the past, but it's a start-up, so that's to be expected. Management seems a bit disjointed at times, so projects may lose focus.

OK, may be about to get better

ProsMost customers absolutely love us
    Very friendly environment, some very smart people, lots of celebrating success - in fact we are obliged to celebrate success...
    Management seem to care a lot about the employees
    Acquisition by Intel just announced expected to lead to enough resource to get the job done properly

ConsDespite nearly half the company working from other offices or from home, very San Francisco centric
    High staff turnover in every department, people mostly leave in the dead of night without acknowledgement or thanks.
    Very top down management style, we are given our orders in a very friendly way but would have made much more progress and achieved a higher exit price if bottom-up contributions from employees were encouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the brains you have around you, you don't personally have all the best ideas
    You say you're customer focused - how much of your Intel Acquisition Announcement meeting was about customers, versus how much was about employee stock options and employment benefits?

Worked for Mashery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mashery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mashery CEO Oren Michels. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Mashery employees.