Mashery Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014

4.0

Mashery Co-Founder & CEO Oren Michels
Oren Michels

This is an amazing place to work.

I have been working at Mashery

Pros

Great people, cutting edge technology, industry leaders. What more could I want.

Cons

Every one is very strong so the bar is set very high.

Keep it up!

Going downhill

I have been working at Mashery

Pros

Great location in downtown SF, in theory unlimited vacation subject to manager approval.

Cons

Intel bought them for no clear reason, and is slowly killing Mashery with its massive corporate stupidity. Crappy facilities, like stained carpet, smelly bathrooms with ineffective ventilation.

Product should never have migrated from PHP to Java, just a huge waste of money and time. PHP scales just fine (Facebook, Yahoo, duh) especially for a web proxy.

Need clear direction and communication on where the product is going.

Mashery has been an invaluable resource for experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mashery full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Throughout my entire tenure here at Mashery I have never felt bored, disappointed or undervalued as an employee.
    -I have experienced constant personal and organizational growth.
    -Mashery was purchased by Intel in May of 2013 and, unlike most acquisitions, we have been for the most part independent and unaffected by the larger Intel umbrella.
    -We are an open-door organization. Anytime you have a question for someone on the leadership team you are encouraged to reach out directly and they respond quickly and encourage you to pop into their offices whenever they are free.
    -Great office locations in San Francisco, Boston and NYC

Cons

For certain roles within the organization there is a "hire from outside" mentality. It would be nice to see future talent acquisitions to happen from within since we house the brightest minds in API Management.

Create programs for career exploration within the organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Mashery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, great pay, friendly people, smart driven, market leading product, not a ton of competition, great company vision - fully stocked kitchen, work from home when needed

Cons

not sure of the full scop of future direction since intel acquisition. Mashery is intelizing and don't know how much longer a lot of the executives who enforce the amazing culture and brand are going to stick around

The people, technology and market are all fun, smart and solid

I have been working at Mashery full-time

Pros

7 year old company that operates like a startup, but operationalizing into a true enterprise player. Excellent culture. Leadership not driven by butt-in-seat-hours, but get-stuff-done attitude, execution and results. Pay and benefits are very attractive.

Cons

At this stage, the company is no longer truly a startup despite it's spirit. Now that the company has been acquired by Intel, startup package stock grants are no longer on the table.

Great culture, people care and listen, but some people have too much klout

I worked at Mashery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, great brand, good perks (open kitchen, occasional lunches and breakfast), great SF location, smart people, open door policy and great work life balance and culture.

Cons

Some people can get looked over due to long time employee feedback, top / mid level Managment structure, not utilizing the talents of employees effectively. Decisions for some reason are hard to make. Certain people have more Klout than others and get different treatment. Sold to Intel, who knows what the future looks like, no more (flexible vacation) and everyone has a number now.

None Intel will not listen soon.

Fantastic group of people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mashery full-time for less than a year

Pros

* The first senior management I've ever worked with that I honestly believe cares deeply about employees.
    * Also balance the first point with taking care of the customers. There's a reason the dev community is so strong - maintaining a strong and engaged community is not easy but Mashery does it well.
    * Really great employee base, on average smarter and more fun than any other company I've worked with in the past.
    * Solid comp
    * A product which actually has great real-world ramifications... take a look at the customer base and it's not all web/advertising, the company helps health, retail, finance, travel, you name it - really gives you the sense you are making a tangible difference.
    * Management REALLY listens. I've suggested things that would have taken months to push through at prior companies which were implemented in a week.

Cons

* Honestly hard to think of any, outside very normal startup-turned-aquisition stuff (like dealing with legacy technical debt while being absorbed into a massive company like Intel). Even these issues seem very surmountable with the management we have in place.
    * Some of the old-timers have gotten very stuck in their ways - the company is entering a new phase and winging everything with no process is not going to scale.

You're doing great. Keep it up. Make sure to take input from new hires who have good experience growing companies in this phase of the game.

Fun group of people

I have been working at Mashery

Pros

The people make it a fun place to work. Great benefits & perks. Very flexible work schedule. The location in downtown SF is perfect. Business outlook is also very good.

Cons

Turnover has been relatively higher than what I've experienced in the past, but it's a start-up, so that's to be expected. Management seems a bit disjointed at times, so projects may lose focus.

OK, may be about to get better

I have been working at Mashery full-time

Pros

Most customers absolutely love us
    Very friendly environment, some very smart people, lots of celebrating success - in fact we are obliged to celebrate success...
    Management seem to care a lot about the employees
    Acquisition by Intel just announced expected to lead to enough resource to get the job done properly

Cons

Despite nearly half the company working from other offices or from home, very San Francisco centric
    High staff turnover in every department, people mostly leave in the dead of night without acknowledgement or thanks.
    Very top down management style, we are given our orders in a very friendly way but would have made much more progress and achieved a higher exit price if bottom-up contributions from employees were encouraged

Use the brains you have around you, you don't personally have all the best ideas
    You say you're customer focused - how much of your Intel Acquisition Announcement meeting was about customers, versus how much was about employee stock options and employment benefits?

Worked for Mashery? Contribute to the Community!