Masimo Reviews

1. Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo

Pros

Cool projects and cool technology.

Cons

Good multitasking skills are a MUST!

Clinical Team

I have been working at Masimo full-time

Pros

I would truly questions the high rating reviews on here. If i could go back in time i would reconsider joining this organization. Believe me do your research talk to people before making any decisions.

Cons

SUPER high turn around rate. That being said, i will leave it up to you to judge how this organization treats its employees. Clinical team needs new management and restructuring. I cant believe how many unsatisfied employees there are in this company.

3. Absolutely Amazing

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo (Less than a year)

Pros

I just started working for this company in March of 2015 in the Inside Sales position. I have had the opportunity to work for many firms in the past and this experience has been truly amazing. The management and staff here are very supportive in training their reps to get them where they need to be. SB especially goes above and beyond to make sure you have the training you need. The organization from top to bottom is a very transparent environment, that allows for growth with employees that deserve it. Masimo attracts some of the best talent and best people to work with in the world. My experience has been exceptional with this company.

Cons

None. This is the best organization I have honestly worked for. The bad reviews of this company are just ridiculous. It is most likely a competitors review.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, the environment you have created in the office is perfect and the talent you have attracted is unmatchable.

5. One of the best companies I've worked at!

I have been working at Masimo full-time

Pros

I was terrified to join Masimo last year after reading some of these reviews, but I'm glad I listened to some of my friends who work there and joined them. Masimo has an extremely intelligent group of people at HQ, and all of them are professional. I've been at companies where people bicker back and forth (making meetings useless), but people at Masimo actually try to get work done during meetings.

The majority of people that I've met really like it at Masimo, but I'm guessing your experience is largely based on the group you're in. I've heard great feedback from people in Quality, Engineering, and Marketing. I don't interface with other groups. It looks like a lot of the negative reviews come from Sales.

Yes, there's a lot of work to do and it isn't for the faint-of-heart (meaning people who want a cushy job that doesn't require much effort). Lack of effort is noticed and rewarded accordingly. Personally, I like that since one lazy worker can demotivate an entire team.

There's a lot of opportunity for the motivated.

Cons

One of your vacation weeks is assigned to you in August or December, and there are less holidays than other companies. The cons aren't about the work environment.

Advice to Management

Last year I was told that the forced vacation is because people work too much and need to be forced to take a break. Instead of forcing vacation during a specified period, perhaps consider just forcing people to take one week in a calendar year or lose it, and let them continue accruing the other weeks. As an alternative: One of my other companies also had a forced shut down but just gave a few additional days off (rather than taking it from someone's vacation bank).

Great company, btw.

Masimo Response

May 5, 2015Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and giving your candid feedback. I’m glad to hear that you enjoy working at Masimo. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the shutdown week ... More

6. One of the best companies I've worked at

I worked at Masimo full-time

Pros

This was one of the best teams I've worked with. Everyone had the same goals of quality work and friendly work atmosphere. I'd certainly come back.

Cons

Occasional long hours that could stretch weeks.

The worst company to work for...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo

Pros

Fast paced, you can learn a lot but it comes at a very high price

Cons

Internal politics, unprofessional work environment, the worst company culture I've experienced in my 20 year medical device career. The organization is poisonous, the people that are still there want to leave but don't have a lot of other opportunities - basically they're stuck. If you are considering working for this company, make sure you speak to employees that left, they will be happy to share their experience. Pay attention to key functions like engineering, regulatory and marketing, the attrition rate is extremely high and they don't have any plans to make it better. HR department is very weak- its an engineering-run organization with 3 people taking orders from the CEO and the rest of the organization is told what to do. Also, recruiters refuse to work with Masimo, they know how bad it is to work there and the bad rep is known all over the Southern CA area. Do your research!

Terrible experience

I worked at Masimo

Pros

Anything more than 6 months experience at Masimo looks excellent on your resume. Recruiters and hiring managers know if you can survive 6 months of hell at Masimo, you are a superhero.

Cons

Dark negative environment at this company. Never felt anything like it before. Even though I was a top performer in my region, I still feared losing my job at any moment. Yet I wanted out so bad anyway, because I hated almost every aspect of the job. Executive management says they care about patient safety but some of the products are not accurate enough and customers complain about it. But salespeople still told to keep selling it. The rainbow technologies are supported only by Masimo's inhouse research they do themselves. But all the peer-review research done outside Masimo does not support Masimo's claims about how accurate everything is. Notice how canned the positive comments are about Masimo on this website and you will see they were obviously written by management trying to defend their struggling reputation. Go to any medical tradeshow or conference and hear all the ex-masimo employees complain about their horrific experiences. I saw many unethical sales and marketing tactics and refused to get involved in it. When my customers complained about the equipment I was told to tell customers it was their fault because they were doing it wrong. So much of my time was spent defending the products and trying to prevent customers from returning equipment. I was looking for another job within one month of starting at masimo. It is the worst!

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and start over! You are a mess! Stop posting positive comments about yourselves on this site! I recognize your lingo and false optimism.

Masimo could be great because ... but ... if only ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time

Pros

With the exception of a few antiquated and unprofessional hacks, there are some really great, fun, and talented people at Masimo. Base pay is competitive. In theory, one could impact the company much easier than at a larger company if it wasn't for the constant fire drills, lack of priorities, short-sighted decision making, and painfully sluggish approval process. The new corporate headquarters helps give Masimo a sense of identity.

Cons

No culture at all. The engineering "template" does not work. Additional compensation beyond base pay is unreliable.

No clear corporate strategy which means departments have no strategy to align their objectives to. No understanding of what an objective is. No, launching a product per month for the remainder of a year is not a real objective--what value are you delivering to customers with this "objective"? What's this telling shareholders and the street--that we've diluted the product portfolio even more making it even more difficult for our sales team to sell? P.S. you forgot to even align sales incentives to the phantom objectives around these new products. Product portfolio diluted to the extent that it is nearly impossible to do real market research, marketing, and market opportunity analyses because everyone is just trying to keep up. No, calling a med device a consumer product is not a market opportunity. Uses the excuse that the company still acts as a startup, but lack of priorities, objectives, and strategies are not hallmark qualities of successful startups. After 25 years, you kinda lose the privilege to call yourself a startup anyway.

Minimal effective collaboration across departments due to these few antiquated and unprofessional hacks that roadblock progress and the lack of shared objectives. Horribly, painfully, crippling approval process. Limited employment empowerment beyond VP level (if even that far down).

Absolutely no onboarding at hire or career development opportunities while on the job. No performance review means managers and employees have little accountability to objectives or people development. It also makes it extremely difficult to identify and manage out a truly underperforming employee.

Requires major investment in scalable operations, culture, and people management training. Many of us truly want to help solve Masimo's problems but along comes another not-thought-out project NOT driven by a customer need, and so we set aside these more valuable efforts. Turnover ridiculously high in some departments (time to look in the mirror?).

I fear this isn't even an exhaustive list.

Advice to Management

You are facing some very serious challenges right now, yet instead of focusing on your core product strengths, you continue to dilute your product portfolio with no real customer need. You don't pause to get the house in order. You don't focus on your threats like reprocessing, commoditization, and expiring patents. Go back to the basics of running a business by having clear (transparent) corporate strategies that each department can align to, be humble by acknowledging failures in the market, and focus with patience--one week at a time.

Trust and empower the talent you recruit and hire AT ALL LEVELS. Why brag about the talent you hire if you don't actually leverage the skills and experience they bring to Masimo? They can and will help Masimo get way better if you just let them. This doesn't take away from what you created and built. Be proud of that but know that we can help carry forward your legacy. A GREAT CULTURE IS IMPORTANT--we can help with that too. And lastly, don't fear the reaper and may the force be with you.

Sadly, no room for advancement!

I have been working at Masimo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady full time work, majority of the time there is potential for overtime if wanted. As of right now, it is a close commute.

Cons

Upon initial interview, was told there would be room for advancement and promotion within. Direct manager wants to promote, upper management puts out job posting to public and hires people that are not qualified. However, don't hold them to a probationary period, hence, being stuck with people that should have been let go.

Micro-managing all across the board, makes it very difficult to do work quickly and efficiently.

Annual departmental week long shut down, you have to use vacation, temps do not get paid. This is new the last year or so since Obamacare, this is how they offset the additional tax the company has received from Obamacare. You DO NOT get to choose your week off, they do it for you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, this goes for all of them, even the bottom of the totem poles. We might just have an idea that could work.

11. Great, caring company.

Current Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Company must is to have fun while you work!!!! The people have smile and are very positive. They provide 3 weeks vacation a year and 1 week sick time. No probationary period. People are helpful and a joy to work with. No set schedule, no one looking over your shoulder.

Cons

Training could be more organized but everyone had time for questions when asked.

RSS Feed </> Embed