Masimo

Masimo Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Masimo Chairman & CEO Joe E. Kiani

Joe E. Kiani

Great things happen here and to have the opportunity to work herwithin the medical device field has been incredible !

I have been working at Masimo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe environment is extremely fast paced and growth potential has been incredible. My team is extremely supportive, goal oriented, passionate, collaborative and challenge one another on a daily basis.

ConsThis environment is definitely better suited for individuals that are driven, must have thick skin and don't take anything personal ....its all business !

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge and support your team !!!

Don't want to pay reps their commissions

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Masimo full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest SpO2 technology otherwise not much else positive to say

ConsOften fail to pay commissions outlined in comp plan, negative/punitive culture. Upper management does not listen to field. CEO is a dictator/tyrant, car allowance below industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to reps in the field

One of the best companies that I've ever worked at!

I have been working at Masimo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAn array of innovative products that have a profound impact on society. Very fast paced environment means that I'm never bored and always have something new to work on. Extremely talented and motivated co-workers and a CEO that cares about employees and the future of healthcare.

ConsThe environment is not for everybody. Things move very fast at Masimo and one needs to be able to keep pace or they will fall behind quickly.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the most innovative and friendly companies I've ever encountered

I have been working at Masimo full-time for more than a year

ProsCongenial atmostphere, excellent growth for decades, thoughtful executives, and a CEO with a heart of gold. They make medical technology miracles and it's a fabulous place to work.

ConsGetting used to the nomenclature of the medical terminology isn't easy with no medical background.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employees should be grooved into everything the products do and the basic science behind them

Fast paced, with no vision or strategy, basically; hurry up and wait culture driven by poor leadership

Manager (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time for more than a year

ProsGood products that help patients

ConsThe CEO and other execs are clueless about the day-to-day operations (things that keep the company running daily) and consistently pile on additional tasks that are detrimental to the long term health of the company. A lot of; do exactly as you're told and don't use your experience/background/intelligence to find a better way. Way too many directors, senior directors, VPs, senior VPs, Exec VPs,..turnover is easily over 50%.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality, not quantity. Establish a real (not lip service) employee centric culture with true work/life balance. If you do that, guess what? They may just work that much harder and not leave!

In Spite Of Themselves

Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time

ProsThey've made the best of one technology they have. Nothing new though.
Some good technical talent, but they have stopped developing anything new.

ConsBullying work environment.
No real business processes.
No lessons learned mentality.
No clear direction or objectives.
Panic attacks daily.
Ego driven drama queens.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a trusted people development team. Take an employee survey. Then, clean house and provide people skills to your department leadership that remains. You could get so much more out of people if you let them contribute instead of being bullied.

I learned a lot working here.

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo as an intern for less than a year

ProsMy coworkers were very helpful and nice.

ConsWork got too stressful at times and being a student, I couldn't handle the workload.

Great job right after college/grad school.

Associate Algorithm Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Masimo full-time for more than a year

ProsYou learn a lot, coworkers super helpful, management extremely competent and knowledgeable. You learn to work really hard, which is good preparation for life. Donut Thursdays are great. Overall cheerful environment.

ConsI dislike the suburban location. Had this been in SF, I would have been 100% satisfied.

CEO is visionary, but doesn't see the internal issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Masimo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCEO has a great vision and wants to improve healthcare.
Talented engineering team with great proprietary technology in noninvasive monitoring.
Lots of talented and driven people wanting to make a difference.

ConsCompany still operates like a startup, everything is subject to change at the last minute and best practices are rarely gleaned and implemented...there is little time for reflection and learning because the company is so fast-paced. Many decisions, down to smaller details are funneled up to the CEO because he is the founder and still wants to be involved. This can sometimes stifle creativity, because everyone will ask themselves "What does Joe want?"

Company recently announced a 1 week mandatory shutdown period, which will come out of employee vacation days. This is not industry practice. My perception is that this policy was implemented to make it culturally acceptable to take vacation days. That should tell you something about the culture here and how hard people are working.

Engineering runs the show here, and will bully the other departments into submission. They don't play well with others, and they (unfortunately) have the full support of the CEO.

Engineering seems well supported, while other departments struggle with available resources to stay afloat. Too many supervisors, not enough resources to get work done. Thus, many work on weekends and late nights (and sometimes during vacation). Work life balance is difficult to achieve here so turnover in some departments tends to be high.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange needs to come from the top, departments need to work together more effectively. Perhaps the only way to accomplish this is by CEO intervention and letting go of the bullies to set an example (no matter how talented they may be).

If the above advice cannot or will not happen, new (impartial) senior leadership is needed to see the big picture and to improve organizational effectiveness. This company can achieve so much more if people outside of Engineering are valued and if a stern message is sent that Engineering needs to play nice with others.

Remember the playground in middle school?

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company does great things, but since this is a review about the work environment, I cannot think of any pros.

ConsEngineering runs the show. The engineers are great, but the engineering leadership team is composed of people that will do anything to avoid looking bad. That even means exercising their influence to ensure people are let go. Objectively speaking, there is a certain mob feel to the culture. People down proactively, and there is a lot of fear in the air. The name of the game is to avoid being noticed. If you keep your head down and keep quiet, you'll only have to worry about how stressful the environment is, and how afraid everyone is of the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead instead of bully and intimidate. Don't use patriarchal management practices. Interact with others in a healthy way. Stop so obviously grooming family members for top leadership. It's bizarre that most respectable employees are out of the company in less than 3 years. Red flags all over the place here. Oh, and try not to keep firing your regulatory people when they won't bend the rules.

Worked for Masimo? Contribute to the Community!

Masimo Videos

Masimo – Why Work for Us?

A key medical technology innovator, Masimo is responsible for the invention of award-winning noninvasive technologies that are revolutionizing patient monitoring, including Masimo SET® pulse oximetry, Masimo Rainbow… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Masimo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Masimo CEO Joe E. Kiani. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Masimo employees.