Maslow Media Group Reviews

2.5
Linda Maslow

1. Great company and great pay

I have been working at Maslow Media Group

Pros

Love the places they find work for you.

Cons

None I can think of

2. Thanks for the Opportunity

Current Freelancer - Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Freelancer - Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Maslow Media Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a freelance editor, I have always been paid on time, and the job assignments are always interesting. The Production Managers are great to work with. A fun place to work. I have met Linda at events and she has always been very cordial.

Cons

None, I am happy with my experience at MMG

Advice to Management

Thanks for always paying me on time - most of your competitors can not say the same, since I have worked with them in the past.

3. Excellent Company

Former Intern - Production Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Production Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Maslow Media Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice area, and very friendly work environment

Cons

Very inconvenient location for parking

5. Operations & Management of Headquarters

Former Employee - Operations, Proposal Writing and Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers, professional and team oriented. Office layout, deign and decor maintain a quite environment to work efficiently.

Cons

The senior management teams (i.e. CEO/CFO) priorities, mission and short term goals are not inline with the companies mission statement or what the company has represented as to why they are even in business. The employees are mislead to believe the direction of the company includes them and it simply is just on the market. The president has a revolving door of assistants that depart shattered. She screams, throws items from her desk and has erratic behavior. Departments are pit against each other and the company is operating on outdated software systems that are poorly designed. There is always great anxiety as you wait to be called down to the principles office or visited by the owner to hear how you didn't do something that you actually did a week ago and she already reviewed and gave her stamp of approval. its a toxic and extremely unhealthy work environment.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs. Listen to the employees that are dedicated and understand the reality of business today and put your outdated business model behind you. Sadly, it is past time for the CEO to step down as it is clear there is memory impairment that is tremendously frustrating to her and the remaining employees. Good luck and hope you sell soon.

Don't sign without showing contract to your lawyer!

Current Contractor - Video Editor in Arlington, VA
    Current Contractor - Video Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Maslow Media Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This company connects their clients with talent, and pays the talent directly, so it can make it practical for people to work without having to invoice clients. Also, if they like you, you can work steadily.

Cons

Have a lawyer go through the contract before you sign. I can't emphasize this enough, since this company's standard contract has workers indefinitely sign away rights to basic contacts you make via any networking for the duration of the contract, which means you mostly can't freelance anymore; you have to go through them.
    They also take a huge percentage as their fee (in my case, the client and I inadvertently realized, while putting together the following year's department budget, that they were paying this company 400% more than what I was actually being paid, which soured both the client and me).

Advice to Management

Taking advantage of people, not dealing fairly, bullying and generally being greedy doesn't make for repeat business. It's a small community and word gets around. Be nice.

Dysfunctional Work Environment

I worked at Maslow Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Some staff members are friendly. Garage parking available.

Cons

The office culture is toxic and dysfunctional and it all stems from the erratic and emotionally disturbed CEO. Because of her this company lacks direction, clear vision, and management. The former employee who wrote "Smoke and Mirrors" review is spot on. The CEO is controlling and micro manages her staff which inhibits growth of the company. Her staff is strained, over worked, devalued and under appreciated. Trust me, if you're considering a position at headquarters, thats not in payroll, do yourself a favor and save yourself the stress DO NOT WORK HERE!

Advice to Management

RETIRE!

8. What Everyone Else Has Written is True

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff are friendly, with a few gems in there. It's close to Whole Foods. That's about it.

Cons

No business plan, no vision, no leadership, poor financial management, no strategy. Someone else said "smoke and mirrors" and this is right on. The business model was relevant in the 1980s. I've never in my life worked in a place where *everyone* disrespected the CEO, and I quickly came to learn that the staff was justified. The culture is toxic, stemming from the CEO.

Advice to Management

Unless something radical happens, it's likely too late for a turnaround.

Working for Maslow Media was challenging.

Former Employee - Contracts and Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contracts and Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice office and central location in the Washington DC area. Reasonable salary and benefits. Greate group of coworkers.

Cons

At times very stressful, due to pressures from the president. Limited administrative support.

Advice to Management

Try to understand staff limitations due to workloads.

Smoke & Mirrors

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some very passionate people that work on the team at HQ. Pay is for the most part in line with industry averages. Good at publicity and marketing the company.

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with reality most of the time and stuck in the past. Erratic, emotional, knee jerk reactive decision making seems to be the rule, not the exception. In the short time I was there, someone cried in almost every single management or staff meeting. Everyone seems to be overwhelmed and running in the red all the time. The culture is combative and depressing with everyone just trying to avoid being at the receiving end of the uber controlling, micro-manager CEO's tirade at any given moment.
    The company overall is smoke and mirrors and made to appear like they have things more together than it does. Operationally things are extremely inefficient and chaotic.

Advice to Management

It's been long overdue for the CEO to take a step back and bring in someone to run the company more effectively and realize it's potential. The biggest thing holding the company back is the owner at this point.

Milked for all you worth

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Maslow Media Group as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay on-time. Thats basically it.

Cons

Where to begin. The management team is self centered. Heard so many empty promises while working for them.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees rather then yourselves. Their hard work is what makes you money.