Maslow Media Group

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
1.9

Linda Maslow

Great Staff at Maslow! Great environment and very pleased to have worked there as an intern PA.

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Maslow Media Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people working there were always very helpful. Very, calm, cool and collected individuals.

Cons

I would just have to say that the location wasn't the best. It gets really busy in that part of town so it made it difficult to travel by public transportation.

None at all, very professional and comfortable environment.

Don't sign without showing contract to your lawyer!

Current Employee - Video Editor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Maslow Media Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This company connects their clients with talent, and pays the talent directly, so it can make it practical for people to work without having to invoice clients. Also, if they like you, you can work steadily.

Cons

Have a lawyer go through the contract before you sign. I can't emphasize this enough, since this company's standard contract has workers indefinitely sign away rights to basic contacts you make via any networking for the duration of the contract, which means you mostly can't freelance anymore; you have to go through them.
    They also take a huge percentage as their fee (in my case, the client and I inadvertently realized, while putting together the following year's department budget, that they were paying this company 400% more than what I was actually being paid, which soured both the client and me).

Taking advantage of people, not dealing fairly, bullying and generally being greedy doesn't make for repeat business. It's a small community and word gets around. Be nice.

Dysfunctional Work Environment

I worked at Maslow Media Group (less than an year)

Pros

Some staff members are friendly. Garage parking available.

Cons

The office culture is toxic and dysfunctional and it all stems from the erratic and emotionally disturbed CEO. Because of her this company lacks direction, clear vision, and management. The former employee who wrote "Smoke and Mirrors" review is spot on. The CEO is controlling and micro manages her staff which inhibits growth of the company. Her staff is strained, over worked, devalued and under appreciated. Trust me, if you're considering a position at headquarters, thats not in payroll, do yourself a favor and save yourself the stress DO NOT WORK HERE!

RETIRE!

What Everyone Else Has Written is True

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff are friendly, with a few gems in there. It's close to Whole Foods. That's about it.

Cons

No business plan, no vision, no leadership, poor financial management, no strategy. Someone else said "smoke and mirrors" and this is right on. The business model was relevant in the 1980s. I've never in my life worked in a place where *everyone* disrespected the CEO, and I quickly came to learn that the staff was justified. The culture is toxic, stemming from the CEO.

Unless something radical happens, it's likely too late for a turnaround.

Working for Maslow Media was challenging.

Former Employee - Contracts and Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contracts and Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very nice office and central location in the Washington DC area. Reasonable salary and benefits. Greate group of coworkers.

Cons

At times very stressful, due to pressures from the president. Limited administrative support.

Try to understand staff limitations due to workloads.

Smoke & Mirrors

I worked at Maslow Media Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some very passionate people that work on the team at HQ. Pay is for the most part in line with industry averages. Good at publicity and marketing the company.

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with reality most of the time and stuck in the past. Erratic, emotional, knee jerk reactive decision making seems to be the rule, not the exception. In the short time I was there, someone cried in almost every single management or staff meeting. Everyone seems to be overwhelmed and running in the red all the time. The culture is combative and depressing with everyone just trying to avoid being at the receiving end of the uber controlling, micro-manager CEO's tirade at any given moment.
    The company overall is smoke and mirrors and made to appear like they have things more together than it does. Operationally things are extremely inefficient and chaotic.

It's been long overdue for the CEO to take a step back and bring in someone to run the company more effectively and realize it's potential. The biggest thing holding the company back is the owner at this point.

Milked for all you worth

I worked at Maslow Media Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

They pay on-time. Thats basically it.

Cons

Where to begin. The management team is self centered. Heard so many empty promises while working for them.

Focus on your employees rather then yourselves. Their hard work is what makes you money.