Mason Zimbler Reviews

Puts employees first

Current Employee - Creative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Creative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance isn't an urban legend here. Kevin (managing director) and all management work hard to make sure that employees are heard, given plenty of room to grow and succeed, all without being a sweat shop. Yes, breakfast tacos and summer Fridays are swell, but actually listening to your employees and treating them with respect is the real pro here.

Cons

Some are going to consider B2B or tech to be a con. And currently, that's what most of the clients are here. Again, that's a perception and not a reality -- you CAN do smart, portfolio-worthy work in this space.

Growing pains are to be expected, especially at the rate we're doing so.

Up in the air

Former Employee - Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work/life balance is tolerable most of the time and the time-off and vacation policies are fairly flexible as well. 401K and insurance are available.

Cons

Looming layoffs about twice per year. Perks, like gym membership and conferences, were more generous in the beginning, but have been greatly reduced. Everyone gets a spiffy title... but very little opportunity for actual advancement or training.

Hire knowledgeable and experienced people instead of hiring and promoting people based solely on their ability to bandy about jargon and buzzwords.

Bullying and pretentiousness

I worked at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a few perks to being employed here...such as free lunches and occasional happy hours.

Cons

This company is displayed as being upbeat, innovative, and fun.

But...Where is the innovation when all you're doing is email blasts, hashtag social media campaigns, and no-budget direct mail? It's a whole lot of talk and no delivery.

The culture is terrible. Unless you're a young male, have kids or a dog, and watch TV all day— Good luck being accepted for who you are and receiving basic respect.

In other words, this company is full of bullying from management, sexism, and pretentiousness.

No thank you.

Stop hiring from other mediocre agencies just because they are your friends. Mediocrity breeds more mediocrity.

Have some respect for your peers and learn how to be a mentor. It's your job.

Poor management/Lack of Identity

Former Employee - Campaign Designer
    Former Employee - Campaign Designer

I worked at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Austin
    - Good work life balance
    - Cool social stuff to do - very cool office to work in - lots of stuff to do in the office and right outside in Arboretum
    - Did I mention Austin?

Cons

- Management totally didn't know what they wanted us to be
    - I took the job as an marketing automation campaign designer because they told me in the interview process that this was the most important thing to the agency
    - When I got there, all I heard was that we weren't really focused on that much anymore and that we were all about being a creative agency
    - My direct manager wasn't a strong manager - there was no real feeling that this person knew what they were doing
    - If I had known that they were not behind that part of the company, I would probably would have looked elsewhere
    - If you read job listings, you'll see that they have to constantly hire new marketing automation people. That's not because they have a ton of opportunities - it's because they cannot keep any of the good technology people they hire.

- Figure out what you want to focus on
    - Invest in the right people like direct managers
    - Marketing automation experts are hard to find - don't treat them so badly they leave after 6 months

Really Fun. Directionless. Unstable.

I have been working at Mason Zimbler full-time

Pros

Very fun, laid back atmosphere. Lots of drinks, social events and foosball. For the most part everyone is nice and agreeable. There is no real structure, no dress code or hours to keep, which is nice and the atmosphere means there is not a lot of work related stress. The office space is nice, it's not downtown, it's up north but you can walk to lots of lunch places and parking is not an issue. Working from home, coffee shops and your cell phone is always an option.

Cons

The largest con is the lack of leadership and vision. We don't know who we are or where we are going from day-to-day. Because there is no vision, what we do changes constantly based on what cool new thing someone else is doing and what we might be able to sell. We definitely are not innovating in the digital space.

We are a 'creative shop' and we are going to be the next Ogilvy is what we keep hearing. But we have mediocre concepts and creative, at best, and it just never seems to get any better. It’s easy talk about clients playing it safe but the truth, we like to sit around and talk but we just don’t seem to have the people to deliver.

It’s a social club, not a agency. It’s a fun place, for sure, but it’s a short-term job to build your resume, not a career and not a place you will learn much, if anything. There is no mentorship or professional development and you can't have real career opportunities because there is no job security.

Layoffs due to poor financial performance are recurring and predictable. So are the reasons why, 'Harte-Hanks is unreasonable and we need to cut costs.' Having a corporate 'overlord' to blame is always convenient but the real reason is the top Austin management just doesn't know what they are doing, that is the clear and obvious common denominator. This is what Harte-Hanks needs to pay attention to.

Started off with promise and then turned into a lack luster experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mason Zimbler full-time

Pros

The work environment is set-up to help you feel comfortable, welcome, and happy to be there.

Kevin Kerner has been the most honest, transparent, and kind managing director I've ever had the pleasure of working under. Solid class act.

Cons

- Extreme politics. Unless you're best friends with management good luck getting quality experience.

- Management talks over you nor takes the time to listen to what you're saying.

- Management runs away and avoids problems. For example, when emails were sent out announcing the meeting about lay-offs— every single manager had left early for the day. This is tacky and shows poor character. Part of being a manager is being able to face problems and handle them in a professional manner. Can't do it? You probably aren't qualified to be a manager.

- Held by a parent company that sets unrealistic, unattainable financial goals. This company was set up for failure.

- Lack of practical and accurate hiring needs.

- Lack of communication when hiring was going on. Needing new hires was never communicated. Unfair, especially when hiring bonuses are on the table.

- Wants out-of-the-box-ideas but constantly settles for the mediocre, safe, and conservative.

- Some managers are unable to articulate their thoughts and opinions thus only able to give lack luster, vague, and insulting feedback. Then they wonder why you ask so many questions to get a decent answer.

- Nearly zero mentorship. Mentorship and ensuring that your employees are gaining new knowledge and job training is not encouraged or enforced here.

Climbing the social ladder in your career is only going to get you so far. Lack of quality experience from the past has now affected those under you. Remember: "It's not about you."

Poorly Managed, high turnover

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some very talented people there, although most of them have left for greener pastures

Cons

Management is awful. I honestly don't know what they do. Weekly meetings are a joke, there is no direction or method to all of the madness. There is a very high turnover rate and small base of clients. A few decent sized clients are the backbone of the business creating a house of cards. If one or two of them go, revenue goes with them. Not real stable. Decent on salaries, but Harte Hanks benefits package are very poor. There are no office perks of any kind, nothing to make the place interesting or fun. Nothing more than a "job" in the most dull sense of the word.

Laid back culture where great work matters most.

Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Management creates an awesome agency culture
    - Great opportunity to get experience in multiple projects instead of getting cornered into one client
    - Everyone is a team player with an open mind to opinion
    - Company is growing at a fast pace with more opportunities to grow
    - Work/life balance is awesome compared to all other ad agencies in Austin
    - Talented creative staff that brings their "A" game to every project

Cons

- Harte Hanks being our parent company tries to nudge their corporate ways into the agency
    - No on-site HR
    - Process is constantly changing, but mainly because of the increasing growth of the company
    - Career paths may not seem as clear at times

- Keep the culture at a high standard for the agency
    - Process needs to be solved and communicated across all departments

People and culture are top priority.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers don't watch the clock. Everyone is empowered. Everyone's opinion is appreciated. Everyone is celebrated. Managers are very approachable. They are very hands-on when they need to be, hands-of when they don't.

Cons

It's becoming a tad corporate, and we're having to change our current email and document platform to conform to the parent company, when it works just fine and everyone is used to it.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Disruptive Technology Marketing? It's Perfect.

Former Employee - Campaign Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Campaign Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Mason Zimbler full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

MZ is a great place to get stared if you're interested in a digital marketing career.

Cons

MZ is lacking in the communication and organization side of the business. The chaos created by this culture places a tremendous about of pressure on the employees and fails customers.

A nice new facility and tacos will not satisfy your employees long term. Treat your people with respect, pay them well, and take responsibility for your business!

Mason Zimbler Photos

Lobby
Creative department.
The Loft, main conference room.

+ Add Photo