Masonicare

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.7

Stephen B. McPherson

Patient's always were top priority.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nursing Supervisor, kind,excellent morals and values. Ongoing education, in-servicing frequently.Work-life balance could at times be not so balanced, as assignments change's were frequent according to patient need's. Loved teaching patients and family member's regarding illness/recovery. Hospice and palliative nursing excellent. The training in Wallingford was so much fun and really informative.

Cons

Small office, difficult at times to concentrate. Little to much backstabbing at times. However the supervisor had quick control of situation. Unfortunately at times some of the case manager's tended to hand off "the difficult patient's" to the lpn's very frequently. Also there was favortism among the home health aides. Many times the aides would say "well if the scheduler didn't like you for whatever reason you won't get the hours".

Just a thought....Before jumping the gun to terminate an employee, a meeting would be very helpful. Sometimes in life there is much more than meet's the eye. Instead of punitive action, question if the same issue's keep creeping backup. A little kindness goes a long way. I wish that had happened to me. I loved that job

Mediocre and at some points terrible

Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Invironment
    Allowed to work independently
    Lots of room for movement, even if it is slow.

Cons

Undervalued and Opinions are not considered by upper management, even when they hold a special meeting to adress concerns.

Horrible pay I was offered a full time position at 12hr. Turns out my part time coworkers are making 13-16.

Horrible sensitive information keeping. I stumbled across a document that contained pay's and social security numbers.

Terrible mangement of PTO, paid time off, no option to not use it. Everything is lumped into it, i.e Sick time, scheduled and unscheduled time off, personal days. etc

Since I've been here, I've watched three supervisors get fired and walked out with no cause.

Value those who work in your offices. Without us the company wouldnt be able to function. For someone with a college degree, We deserve more than a starting base pay of 12hr, especially when your part time employees make more without a college degree.

Dec 22, 2014Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. Employee satisfaction is very important to us, and we welcome the opportunity to attempt to address your concerns. I would encourage you to engage your affiliate HR ... More

It Was Once The Best

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everything for senior needs on one convenient campus from luxury retirement, senior housing, assisted living, medical offices, audiology, acute care, etc. Ideal location. Dedicated staff. Until recently it was the best place to work or live.

Cons

Recent cut backs, change in administration has had a negative impact on Masonicare culture. With an increased work load, there is not much time left over to have relationships with residents which is the most therapeutic part of delivering care to human beings. They are not plants to be watered and fed! No one knows who is going to be fired next which drives an atmosphere of paranoia.

Pushing a corporate culture that you picked up at another facility does not work. Masonicare had an exceptional culture without "kindness badges" and phoney rhetoric that management does not follow in being kind or empathetic to staff. It is obvious that you are saving money in healthcare so you can build expensive private pay communities that will fail in this economy. Management is patronizing and does not consider the experience or expertise of the staff and many times they lecture on implementing procedures and they are completely ignorant.

Good company to work for

I worked at Masonicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High morals, high customer and staff values

Cons

supervisors in other off site offices are horrible!

management and nursing against cna's.

Former Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great residents and co-workers. O.K. pay.

Cons

Management, most of Nursing, unfair distribution of work hours.

Listen to your CNA"S, we love our residents and we are not the enemy. Try teamwork, we do. Nursing is not always right, they try to hang the CNA's for their mistakes. Not all but a majority. Could be a great place to work. It was when I first started, then shifted around, got rid of wrong people and replaced with poor substitutes who do not practice teamwork!

Oct 29, 2014Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your review of Masonicare. We appreciate your feedback and will use this information in our on-going continuous improvement efforts.

Ashlar Village Dining Room Staff

I have been working at Masonicare

Pros

Work with great people
    flexible hours

Cons

management has no clue what they are doing

more organization

Oct 29, 2014Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments are very important to us. Since you posted this review in April 2014, there have been some changes in ... More

Masonicare is a wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, family type culture, work/life balance, competitive salary. Leadership values it's field staff and the work we do.

Cons

I don't feel there are any cons to speak of!

Oct 29, 2014Director of Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback! Keep up the good work!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - CNA in Newtown, CT
    Current Employee - CNA in Newtown, CT

I have been working at Masonicare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits the company offers are great. As a whole, the company does show appreciation for employees. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like your concerns aren't being heard by your direct management team. In one ear and out the other.

Spend some time getting to know your employees on ALL shifts and hearing their concerns. It's hard to develop a rapport with someone you don't see on a daily basis.

Dec 9, 2013Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback and for your commitment to the care of our Masonicare at Newtown patients and residents! Masonicare does value our employees and we love to hear that our employees can ... More

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees of Masonicare truly care for the residents and patients. I have never seen such a positive work environment. Leaving my previous job in "Corporate America" to come work for Masonicare was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Cons

Technology is lagging a little but they're working on improving things.

Thanks for all the little things management does from the ice cream socials all the way up to the employee appreciation event! Keep it up, we appreciate it very much.

Nov 22, 2013Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It is always nice to hear from newer employees that they feel they have made the right choice in joining the Masonicare family.

You will be more than just a number at Masonicare

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are treated like human beings. Contributions are recognized and appreciated. Most staff have a positive outlook and are helpful towards one another.

Cons

Technologically speaking, Masonicare would be considered highly advanced ... if we were located in Bangladesh. But the company is aware of the problem and is taking steps to bring us into the 21st century.

Continue to focus on ways to maintain and lift employee morale across all affiliates, clinical and non-clinical.