Masonicare

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
3.4

Stephen B. McPherson

Exceptional company to work for and truly the best in customer care for their residents, highest standards in every area

Current Employee - Communications Coordinator in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Communications Coordinator in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare part-time (less than a year)

Pros

competitive wages, very friendly and warm atmosphere, stability in your position, room to advance, long lasting career positions, Compassionate and reassuring staff in all needs for the residents, a place where only the best for Mom will do

Cons

Keeping calm during stressful emergencies

very happy with management and company as a whole

Company has great potential but cannot seem to get it together

Current Employee - Support in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Support in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great co-workers; Salaries good in certain areas;

Cons

No room for growth in most areas; No consistency throughout continuum when it comes to treatment of employees; Management tries to push a culture change that is truly a joke; Have to use your PTO time if there is a bad storm and cannot make it to work even with state roads closed; The word out in the public is that Masonicare is not what it was; High school mentality even amongst management - if you are not part of the "clique", you are not treated well. If you have an issue and try to go to HR to find resolution, you may be told "well I guess it might be time for you to find a new job elsewhere"...really!

Practice what you try to preach. You speak of transparency yet even the board of directors is not given all the information. Stop with the individual agendas and work as a team instead of eliminating anyone who challenges the agenda and may actually have better ideas. Get your marketing team to actually get referral in the door and you might see things turn around.

Finance

Current Employee - Finance in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Finance in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare

Pros

Great location, Fantastic organization that does wonderful things for its patients.

Cons

Senior Management is very dysfunctional. They treat their employees very poorly and are defensive and abrasive with staff. This is pervasive from the "C" suit through Human Res.

Good luck to the operational folks you do a fine job. Hang in there sooner or later the board will wake up and correct the issues.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare

Pros

Good work-life balance.
    401k with employer match, even for per diem employees.
    Competitive wages.

Cons

High deductible benefit plan

Phoney "Kindness Culture" took the CARE out of Masonicare

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice location, beautiful campus, many services and levels of care. Once was the best and a facility that I used to recommend.

Cons

Masonicare until recently was a great place to work. Residents and employees were respected and the care was well coordinated. The nurses and CNA's treated the residents like family and worked as a team. The doctors and social workers were accessible and communicated with residents, families and the team. There were lots of meaningful and fun activities for residents. It is easy to care for residents and rehab patients who are satisfied and staff has time to stop and relate to them. There have been major changes in administration and they have introduced a phoney culture to replace the long standing Masonic atmosphere of collaboration and sincere respect. They have fired or harassed employees who have been there a long time into quitting. They have cut back coverage and hired young inexperienced staff. The response to other complaints has been to talk to HR. That must be a joke because HR is complicit in driving staff out and humiliating dedicated workers who really care about the residents. It is really tragic how the change in leadership and their callous regard for the staff and residents has destroyed a once well respected facility. The administration has a five year plan to build upscale retirement communities for private pay and are sacrificing the long term care services and rehab to reach their delusional goals. The word is out in the community and Masonicare's reputation has been tarnished.

It is too late to fix the damage. You have lost so many dedicated workers and the rest of the staff is operating in a hostile work environment. Management is supposed to be supportive and want employees to succeed. This management have little understanding of jobs they are supervising and keep creating new policies and change them daily. They clearly do not know how much damage they are doing. Your open forum is demeaning and a lecture on values that we had before you created a hostile work environment. You preach "kindness" and but have no appreciation for staff who have been dedicated for years and treat us like children.

Mediocre and at some points terrible

Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Invironment
    Allowed to work independently
    Lots of room for movement, even if it is slow.

Cons

Undervalued and Opinions are not considered by upper management, even when they hold a special meeting to adress concerns.

Horrible pay I was offered a full time position at 12hr. Turns out my part time coworkers are making 13-16.

Horrible sensitive information keeping. I stumbled across a document that contained pay's and social security numbers.

Terrible mangement of PTO, paid time off, no option to not use it. Everything is lumped into it, i.e Sick time, scheduled and unscheduled time off, personal days. etc

Since I've been here, I've watched three supervisors get fired and walked out with no cause.

Value those who work in your offices. Without us the company wouldnt be able to function. For someone with a college degree, We deserve more than a starting base pay of 12hr, especially when your part time employees make more without a college degree.

Masonicare Response

Dec 22, 2014Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. Employee satisfaction is very important to us, and we welcome the opportunity to attempt to address your concerns. I would encourage you to engage your affiliate HR ... More

It Was Once The Best

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everything for senior needs on one convenient campus from luxury retirement, senior housing, assisted living, medical offices, audiology, acute care, etc. Ideal location. Dedicated staff. Until recently it was the best place to work or live.

Cons

Recent cut backs, change in administration has had a negative impact on Masonicare culture. With an increased work load, there is not much time left over to have relationships with residents which is the most therapeutic part of delivering care to human beings. They are not plants to be watered and fed! No one knows who is going to be fired next which drives an atmosphere of paranoia.

Pushing a corporate culture that you picked up at another facility does not work. Masonicare had an exceptional culture without "kindness badges" and phoney rhetoric that management does not follow in being kind or empathetic to staff. It is obvious that you are saving money in healthcare so you can build expensive private pay communities that will fail in this economy. Management is patronizing and does not consider the experience or expertise of the staff and many times they lecture on implementing procedures and they are completely ignorant.

Patient's always were top priority.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nursing Supervisor, kind,excellent morals and values. Ongoing education, in-servicing frequently.Work-life balance could at times be not so balanced, as assignments change's were frequent according to patient need's. Loved teaching patients and family member's regarding illness/recovery. Hospice and palliative nursing excellent. The training in Wallingford was so much fun and really informative.

Cons

Small office, difficult at times to concentrate. Little to much backstabbing at times. However the supervisor had quick control of situation. Unfortunately at times some of the case manager's tended to hand off "the difficult patient's" to the lpn's very frequently. Also there was favortism among the home health aides. Many times the aides would say "well if the scheduler didn't like you for whatever reason you won't get the hours".

Just a thought....Before jumping the gun to terminate an employee, a meeting would be very helpful. Sometimes in life there is much more than meet's the eye. Instead of punitive action, question if the same issue's keep creeping backup. A little kindness goes a long way. I wish that had happened to me. I loved that job

Good company to work for

I worked at Masonicare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High morals, high customer and staff values

Cons

supervisors in other off site offices are horrible!

management and nursing against cna's.

Former Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great residents and co-workers. O.K. pay.

Cons

Management, most of Nursing, unfair distribution of work hours.

Listen to your CNA"S, we love our residents and we are not the enemy. Try teamwork, we do. Nursing is not always right, they try to hang the CNA's for their mistakes. Not all but a majority. Could be a great place to work. It was when I first started, then shifted around, got rid of wrong people and replaced with poor substitutes who do not practice teamwork!

Masonicare Response

Oct 29, 2014Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your review of Masonicare. We appreciate your feedback and will use this information in our on-going continuous improvement efforts.