Masonite International

Updated September 2, 2014

Frederick J. Lynch

Continuous Improvement

I have been working at Masonite International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Company if you want to learn by doing. You get to be directly involved in projects and initiatives that impact the business, and continuous improvement is a core value. CEO and Leadership are down to earth and available. Great talent to work with across the company.

Cons

Challenging industry. There is always a lot of balls in the air so you need to be comfortable with action.

Keep investing in the culture and the talent now that the market is improving.

Leading supplier of doors and windows to the retail, wholesale distribution and builders markert.

Former Employee - Senior Director of Operations & Manufacturing  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Operations & Manufacturing in Tampa, FL

I worked at Masonite International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Outstanding senior leadership team, excellent product portfolio, dynamic business model to each of its vertical markets and excellent service and quality behind its products.

Cons

I didn't find any critical challenges working at Masonite. The company is well versed and agile to dynamic changes and abiltiy to quickly changes with economies of scale or customer demands in the market place. Masonie is the leader in in the building products industry and a outstanding company to be part of.

Continue to invest in R&D, your people with training development of your products and leaders. This is a strategic advantage the company has with it's people compared to its competition.

Sep 3, 2014Director, Global Talent Acquisition and Corporate HR

Thanks so much for your feedback. We value your input as an "alumni" and thank you for your kind words.

Worst job ever!!!

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Masonite International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hard to think of any... I guess my boss is nice, knowledgeable and easy to talk to. A few other people I work with are personable.

Cons

Cheap company, especially at the manufacturing plants; they really stretch their resources too thin. Very disorganized executive team; no planning, no forethought before implementing pretty much anything new. A lot of rude people. No proper training. Slow to respond to employee needs. Bad vacation benefits compared to other companies I have worked for. Basically, if you have a life, a family or a hobby, then run for the hills!!! Work-life balance is a foreign concept at this company. The organizational culture dictates that your time, your life, your mind should revolve 100% around your job. In fact, I'm already looking for a better opportunity myself...

Plan before you act!!! Involve key players in the important decisions. Start with the basics. A house will eventually fall if it is not built on a solid foundation. Quick fixes are more expensive in the long run. One person shouldn't be required to do two or three people's jobs. Don't burn out your most valuable resource!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Should have gotten out before I got my 4th boss in four years.

I worked at Masonite International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent money. Decent benefits.

Cons

Upper management is good old boys club. Couldn't lead. Didn't have an innovative bone in their body. No project management skills. Quick to blame subordinates for their own ineptness. Didn't listen. Their motto should have been "Do what I say. Not what I do." If they did listen they never gave you credit. They never admitted once that they were wrong or made mistakes. Their mismanagement of the company cost many good people their jobs. I should have gotten out of there much sooner.

Since upper management is to blame I have no advice for them. I hope they take their options and get out before it's too late.

Sep 3, 2014Director, Global Talent Acquisition and Corporate HR

This is disappointing feedback as our well regarded leadership team takes great pride in an open-door policy and corporate wide communication. Masonite maintains an environment of continuous ... More

You probably won't be there long. Save yourself some headaches and look elsewhere.

I have been working at Masonite International full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are surprisingly large pockets of intelligent, hard-working people. Unfortunately, none of these people are managers.
    Tampa and Charlotte have beautiful weather.

Cons

Morale was extremely low. How's it go...beating will continue until morale improves?
    If your group is not in Tampa, any and all problems will be your fault.
    Turnover is high. By 9 months in, you'll be an old-timer.
    Management demands impossible targets annually. You will be blamed when those collide with reality.

Sep 3, 2014Director, Global Talent Acquisition and Corporate HR

Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad experience. This feedback clearly does not meet the Masonite values. We'd welcome the chance to discuss your concerns. Please reach out and have a ... More

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - IT Professional  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Tampa, FL

I worked at Masonite International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very little good to talk about

Cons

Hostile and detached management in I.T. The other programmers were hostile and angry. I caught one female programmer deliberately damaging a program fix I had made. She wanted to look like only she could fix things and that she was indispensable. Management let her get away with it.

My CIO was detached and unfriendly. He wouldn't even say hello or good morning in the hall way before work.

My manager would yell and scream and throw temper tantrums like a child. Leaving that place behind was a joy.

It was a good job with alright money

Former Employee - Magline  in  Yulee, FL
    Former Employee - Magline in Yulee, FL

I worked at Masonite International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get do new thing with making doors and how to make them

Cons

Don't having the things you need to work with all the time made it hard to do ur job at times

Could have been better

Great Leadership - Great Employees! You would want to work here!

I have been working at Masonite International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company Leadership truly leads by example...This makes employees want to follow. When Masonite first started out, it was family owned. The environment I work in feels like we are family.

Cons

As an employee, it is obvious that Masonite believes in balancing work and life, however I would like to see an improved vacation policy.

Review the new hire onboarding and training processes for the plants. Employees working in the plant need a better understanding of the benefits of working for Masonite.

Constant layoffs have you looking over your shoulder.

I worked at Masonite International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a big company with benefits for those few who are lucky enough to get hired on full-time. If you can find a micro-climate to work in that has good leadership the job can be rewarding.

Cons

The only time a majority of the management team was engaged with the full-time employees was when they were laying them off. Mostly staff temporary employees.

Give incentives. Make it a point to talk with your employees and value what they have to offer. Think about hiring more permanent employees and less temps, it will help the overall morale.

Information technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Masonite International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

they are slowly improving their technology to make everything state-of-the-art. It's a growing process but they are succeeding.

Cons

management decisions are really being driven by the vendors. Management seems to blame their employees when projects or technologies are not meeting standards as stated by the vendors.

if the existing I. T. Staff is not capable of being involved in technology decisions, then perhaps the staff should be replaced. They are the ones that have to make it work. By not involving them in the planning/acquisition stage, you put them in a hole to start when the technology is installed

Worked for Masonite International? Contribute to the Community!