Masonite International
www.masonite.com Tampa, FL 5000+ Employees

Masonite International Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Frederick J. Lynch

Great Leadership - Great Employees! You would want to work here!

ProsCompany Leadership truly leads by example...This makes employees want to follow. When Masonite first started out, it was family owned. The environment I work in feels like we are family.

ConsAs an employee, it is obvious that Masonite believes in balancing work and life, however I would like to see an improved vacation policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the new hire onboarding and training processes for the plants. Employees working in the plant need a better understanding of the benefits of working for Masonite.

Constant layoffs have you looking over your shoulder.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a big company with benefits for those few who are lucky enough to get hired on full-time. If you can find a micro-climate to work in that has good leadership the job can be rewarding.

ConsThe only time a majority of the management team was engaged with the full-time employees was when they were laying them off. Mostly staff temporary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive incentives. Make it a point to talk with your employees and value what they have to offer. Think about hiring more permanent employees and less temps, it will help the overall morale.

Information technology

Tampa, FL

Prosthey are slowly improving their technology to make everything state-of-the-art. It's a growing process but they are succeeding.

Consmanagement decisions are really being driven by the vendors. Management seems to blame their employees when projects or technologies are not meeting standards as stated by the vendors.

Advice to Senior Managementif the existing I. T. Staff is not capable of being involved in technology decisions, then perhaps the staff should be replaced. They are the ones that have to make it work. By not involving them in the planning/acquisition stage, you put them in a hole to start when the technology is installed

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average for a production plant.

Line Operator (Former Employee)
    Jefferson City, TN

ProsDecent wage and benefits, fairly regular hours. Other workers are good people,, once they get to know you. Administration {for clerical, benefit, other info. and help} is very available and helpful.

ConsConstant exposure to wood dust. Fairly high noise level. Once assigned to an area, a worker rarely leaves to other positions. Training is poor, it is more hit the ground running, some jobs around some machines need some dedicated training time allotted.

Worked for a few weeks in Haleyville Al. plant rude employees,very little supervision.

Stacker (Former Employee)
    Haleyville, AL

ProsThe best thing is you get a check on friday.This job should only be a place to work if in between jobs.

ConsYou are hired as a temp,by a temp company so they don't have to give any benefits,no holiday pay,no insurance, 9 bucks an hr and .25 cent raise after one year. No incentive to work hard!
    They don't even have the decency to tell you you zre working over until quitting time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want employees that work harder,stay longer ,and pzy more detail to quality,give them a decent wage,offer them insurance and benefits such as holiday pay and have enough respect to give them a little notice when they work overtime,

enjoyed the first 9 years of my employment then it went down hill fast.

Forklift Operator (Former Employee)
    Kirkwood, NY

Prosexcellent pay for this area. loved the job that I had just not the management.

Consbad choice in management. worked almost every weekend and 10 hours during the week

Advice to Senior Managementhad issues with GM manager talked to VP about my issues but nothing was done about it. Then I was fired.

Decent Benefits, Good Culture with some instability

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the team atmosphere here. I had a particularly great manager that was there for any assistance, but more importantly helped develop us as employees. Corporate was generally transparent and offered us praise on jobs well done. Very good health care options.

ConsMasonite goes through bouts of instability, firing anyone in their path to change direction. This happened right before I started in 2010, and right after I left two years later. Great people with proven results were let go, most likely to bring in lower salary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you commit to us, we'll commit to you. Decide in a direction and stick with it.

Do not work in HR

Tampa, FL

ProsGain experience in Multi state activities / union and non union

ConsYou were expected to LIVE for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top down. It seems that HR was the only department that had major staffing problems. If you look at turnover in HR for 2011 and 2012, ALL management resigned and half of the staff resigned.

Great company with great values, I hope to stay here a long time!

Tampa, FL

ProsMasonite is growing very quickly and since going public, seems to still be offering better career opportunities to their employees. I've been here less than 2 years and have already gotten a promotion into a job that suits my career path perfectly. Individual goals are linked to corporate goals and the whole company is addressed by the CEO frequently so everyone works toward common strategic objectives and knows how we're doing in the market. I've been very happy here and hoping to stay here a long time!

ConsGrowing pains. The industry got hit pretty bad in 2008 or so, and by growing quickly and rebuilding from the recession, it takes time to put some of the pieces back together while adding new pieces at the same time. Also, Masonite is a bit understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating how the company is doing regularly, it helps everyone know how we are stacking up against our competitors.

You're definitely going to want to look somewhere else.

Anonymous Cog (Former Employee)

Pros- Tampa and Charlotte are beautiful cities. Great weather.
    - You'll find your coworkers hardworking and generally pleasant. One of the best teams I've had the pleasure of working with in terms of talent and comraderie.

Cons- Leadership is non-existant. In its place, you WILL find a number of people with better titles than you waiting to point fingers when the results of POOR management / planning surface. It's like they have no understanding of the business, inside or out.
    - Seriously, anything VP-level or above is utterly useless in that place.
    - Strategic direction changes direction like a plastic bag in a tornado.
    - Review time...shoot for the middle. It's one of those places where only a couple of people can get a good (non-mediocre) review as a matter of policy. These are reserved for bosses pets.
    - HIGH turnover.
    - There's a definite feeling of us-versus-them. Management and their favorites are "us". You're very probably "them"
    - You'll work hard. You'll go above and beyond. It WON'T be appreciated. Not even a little bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got talented people working there. Listen to them...even when they say things that you don't want to hear. Egos don't make money.

Flag Review
    Masonite International Director, Global Talent Acquisition and Corporate HR responded to this review Jan 7, 2014 EditDelete
    We are disappointed that you had such a negative experience at Masonite. As you know, the cornerstone of our blueprint is integrity, customer commitment, innovation, teamwork and respect and ... More

Worked for Masonite International? Contribute to the Community!

Masonite International – Why Work for Us?

Why Masonite? Simply stated, Masonite® doors will make your home more beautiful. They possess a distinctive style and flare that can accent a décor and even become the focus of a room or the exterior of your home… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Masonite International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Masonite International CEO Frederick J. Lynch . All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Masonite International employees.