Mass Audubon

CEO

Mass Audubon Very Committed to Conservation and Education

Former Employee - Camp Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Camp Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mass Audubon is very focused on the two things it does best: conservation and education. Most jobs at Mass Audubon are not in the office and engaging with the outdoors on a daily basis is a perk of its own. Camp Jobs are in a thriving camp environment, where most kids want to learn.

Cons

Jobs mostly seasonal. Mass Audubon is not especially well known even in Massachusetts. They could learn to garner more publicity in order to receive more donations and higher public profile.

Mass Audubon is a very good and fair employer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon

Pros

You get to work with good people in Mass Audubon. The benefits are quite good.

Cons

It can be difficult to move up in this small organization.

Keep up the good work.

Commitment to Conservation of Land, Flora and Fauna of Massachusetts with Audubon

Current Employee - Field Teacher in Topsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Field Teacher in Topsfield, MA

I have been working at Mass Audubon part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This organization is totally committed to the conservation of the land, animals and plants of Massachusetts. I cannot think of a better steward of these things in the form of an organization. Its staff is 100% behind these goals.

Cons

They need to learn how to promote themselves better and gain more publicity in positive ways. Develop some more imaginative approaches to doing this.

Diversify in the kind of people you hire: they need to have other backgrounds besides ecology, the environment and conservation.

Great intern development

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Attleboro, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Attleboro, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of emphasis on preparing interns for their careers. I felt really supported throughout my time at Mass Audubon and I left feeling prepared for a career in nonprofits and environmental services.

Cons

As with most nonprofits, especially those in the environmental services field, things can get a little disorganized and chaotic since they are understaffed and stretched thin. Interns definitely were assigned a lot of grunt work to handle this, but it was still a great learning experience. I was also only at one of their wildlife sanctuaries, so I cannot speak for the rest.

Program Coordinator

Former Contractor - Program Coordinator
    Former Contractor - Program Coordinator

I worked at Mass Audubon as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible staff, great people, incredible properties, great mission. This was a job where I was able to spend most of my day out of doors while also getting great professional experience at other points of the week.

Cons

Some unrealistic expectations and lack of a balanced work load but for the most part my manager was very understanding of the needs of myself and my coworkers.

Not too much, keep running a great organization.

Great staff, really dedicated, wonderful properties

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lincoln, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lincoln, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The mission of Mass Audubon. Their beautiful properties. Great staff, really dedicated. Worked there for 8 1/5 years in the Natural History Travel office. Had a great manager.

Cons

Because the salaries aren't high, would be nice if they gave 4 weeks vacation. While I was there, there was a huge reorganization that was tough to go through, as I got reorged along with my manager. We were moved to a much quieter building and a different department, and it was tough to be away from people I really enjoyed being around.

Appreciate the staff and their dedication!

Poster Design competition host but them

Former Contractor - Poster Design in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Poster Design in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, nice people, they are open for anything

Cons

resources are so low you are not getting paid

Wonderful properties, management not so wonderful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topsfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topsfield, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The properties are wonderful and many of the classes and programs offered are good, if not a bit on the overly-simplified/dumbed down side. The vast majority of seasonal hired staffers were great to work with.

Cons

Management was secretive and not pro-active. Management style tended to be rather stiff. Management tended to alienate people who didn't conform. Staff did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from management, especially the director. Getting anything new done took forever and a lot of convincing; change wasn't viewed as something positive. Staff often felt 'watched' by management rather than supported. Not enough is done to retain the best staff members. The pay was not good but this is to be expected in a non-profit.

Indiviual property management should lighten up. Headquarters in Lincoln needs to have staff members, including seasonal staff, evaluate the employment experience in order to get a more accurate picture of each property. Seasonal staff did fill out evaluations but these did not go to the head honchos in Lincoln. Monitor each property for resignation/termination rates and reasons why as this may help identify and solve some employee difficulties and sanctuary trends. Use the information to help each sanctuary become more transparent, staff-friendly, pro-active and accepting of change.

Good mission, cool people but not a lot of team work

Former Intern - Intern in Lincoln, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Lincoln, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great mission with a lot of cool programming. Everyone is professional with some impressive backgrounds in science and conservation.

Cons

It depends on the office you're dealing with but, there isn't always a lot of coordination or teamwork between employees. People seem to defer big decisions to just a handful of directors that are very, very, very busy. This leads to many people not coordinating or working together very well.

Do more team building

Steer Clear!

I have been working at Mass Audubon part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The properties are very nice. The mission is admirable.

Cons

Horrible horrible horrible leadership, especially the directors. Hostile work environment, bullying, coercion, and so forth. If you dare to speak up, then it's retaliation and they'll make you miserable until you quit.
    Methods and processes are outdated, but so much of the leadership consists of long-time employees who are resistant to change. They like everything to stay the same...for a decade, two decades... When it's time to think creatively and consider updating approaches and processes to keep up with the 21st century, (yes, Mass Audubon, it is the 21st century), leadership becomes hostile and controlling. New ideas clearly not welcome. The directors are THE WORST.

Treat everyone with kindness and respect. You never know. I used to list Mass Audubon as a beneficiary on my 401K. Not anymore!
    Also, TRAIN YOUR PEOPLE to be kind, respectful, compassionate leaders. Say no to bullying and coercion.