Mass Electric Reviews

Mike Colpack
1 Rating

1. Business Specialist

I worked at Mass Electric full-time

Pros

Great place to work right out of college. Most of the time you get dropped into a large city for a project and are forced out of your comfort zone to survive. Young and like minded collegeus who are in the same boat as you.

Cons

MOVE, MOVE, MOVE. You are required to move repeatedly with no real recognition or warning before the move. Office politics are huge... make sure you play them well.

Great people, Unsustainable lifestyle

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Mass Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at MEC for 3.5 fresh out of college and was lucky to work with some really amazing people. I worked on 6 projects in 6 separate offices during my time there and found that the majority of MEC's employees were in their 20's which made for a lively workplace with a great deal of camaraderie. MEC was also a great place to learn dos and donts of construction management. There were enough experienced guys around to observe and mimic that I was able to learn a great deal.

Cons

Virtually all my coworkers to agreed that we were overworked, underpaid, and ultimately expendable resources to be allocated to projects at the discretion of the talking heads in the corporate office. The reason my coworkers were all so young is because anyone with a serious girl/boyfriend or husband/wife would be forced to move for each new project they were assigned to, which by the way could happen with less than a day's notice. That lifestyle isn't realistic unless your significant other enjoys moving and not holding down a steady job. Additionally the whole moving strategy allows them to forego expenses that are pretty standard at many other construction companies that operate on a national level. At other companies they will pay for a rental house/apartment and provide you with a company vehicle, as well as paying per diem and covering any other work related expenses. At MEC you make your salary and your moving expenses are paid for with a little bonus cash to pay for unexpected expenses. When you get it all on paper I found that I'd actually make a great deal more money with other companies, hence why I left. MEC was a sadly political place to work as well. I frequently saw the smooth talking, well dressed idiots who know which ear to whisper in, how to dodge blame, and how to appear hard at work, sitting in their office on facebook until the boss leaves every day and then tearing out of the parking lot 30 seconds later. These people did well. Shockingly well. Nobody saw through it. And this is on several projects over multiple years. Not being the type to flaunt my accomplishments or draw attention to my colleagues failures I didn't do well. Lastly, MEC big wigs will try to convince you to stay loyal by enticing you with its privately shared stock that touts some impressive numbers annually. I won't go into detail but it seemed too good to be true and after talking over it with a buddy of mine who is a CFA I learned that it's a bit of a scam, one with some serious risk involved. I don't pretend to know everything about it but a professional investment manager told me it's a bad deal, so I'll take his word on it.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees lateral flexibility and allow them to fulfill positions in which they thrive rather than trying to force round pegs into square holes. As an example, I was not good at nor interested in being a foreman or putting together work plans, JSA's, getting permits, etc. but I am an exceptional estimator, budget creator, scheduler, and I actually know several programming languages. I left my field engineer role with MEC and eventually became an automation specialist in the oil and gas industry. I design, program, and manage construction on oil and gas facilities, as well as integrating scada systems and multi-facility control. I make just under 4x more money and I personally made my company over a million dollars in the past year. I'm obviously not a dumb guy, and I'd have gladly done scada work in MCC buildings and control rooms if anybody had ever listed to me when I was saying, "hey I'd like to try this." Bottom line, pay attention to the quantity of work your people get done rather than their hours in the office. Pay attention to who fixes problems rather than who dissociates from them. Finally find out what your people are good at and let them do that. Stop trying to jam that square peg into the circle hole.

3. Good Company

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

Pros

Lots of up coming work.

Cons

It can be difficult to get recognized and in order to get recognized you have to work a lot of hours.

5. They invest in you if you invest in them

Current Employee - Superintendent in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've shown willingness to take on more responsibility and they give me all opportunities to grow and work underneath experienced employees to gain knowledge of current and future roles. The most advanced training for management and soft skills I've seen with the construction company.

Cons

If you are not willing to work the hours to be successful this is not the company for you.

Not good

Pros

Many responsibility, wear different hats

Cons

Long hours, management favoritism

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced engineers for big projects

7. Good Place to work.

Pros

I like what I do.

Cons

I work a lot of hours.

8. Field Engineer Intern

I worked at Mass Electric full-time

Pros

Amount of responsibility that an intern can acquire is much higher than other construction firms.

Cons

Not many people enjoy their job and there is not chance to grow in the company without having to work 70 hours a week for the rest of your life.

Advice to Management

Do not crash the schedule and make the staff employees work too much. Your turnover rate is high because the amount of work the staff does is not compensated.

MEC NY

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience for your career. Great Training Ground! Benefits are great if they put you in IBEW Local #3, but sometimes they pull your Union Card and send you to a Jobsite wherein you are not required to be a member of Local #3. This causes problems with your Medical Benefits and other benefits that increase over time in the Union. The non union benefits are good as well.

Cons

We are evaluated by management with little to no Electrical Experience (MEC NY). Lack of communication. Young Engineers are put into positions of managing experienced Electricians and who attempt to tell them how to do their jobs.. This usually doesn't end well, work is installed as directed and must be corrected. There is a lot of turnover due to the frustration of working long hours and receiving negative feedback from superiors although you are trying your best.

Advice to Management

Work Life Balance is preached and we are told by upper management to have a Life. But I have heard managers state " It must be 5:00 O'clock so and so left already".

10. Was a great opportunity and experience...

Current Employee - Exp Groundsmen in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Exp Groundsmen in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and communication throughout company...

Cons

There were not any cons that I could remember...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...

11. Good opportunities, not for everyone

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to a wide range of projects. Great benefits. Enjoyable people to work with. Growing company, so plenty of room for quick advancement.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Management doesn't communicate well. You will get moved halfway across the country at a moment's notice, but also be well compensated for moving.

Advice to Management

Follow through on some of the communication plans you've told us about.

RSS Feed </> Embed