Mass Electric

www.masselec.com

Mass Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Al Sori

Was a great opportunity and experience...

Exp Groundsmen (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat work environment and communication throughout company...

ConsThere were not any cons that I could remember...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work...

MEC NY

Project Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work experience for your career. Great Training Ground! Benefits are great if they put you in IBEW Local #3, but sometimes they pull your Union Card and send you to a Jobsite wherein you are not required to be a member of Local #3. This causes problems with your Medical Benefits and other benefits that increase over time in the Union. The non union benefits are good as well.

ConsWe are evaluated by management with little to no Electrical Experience (MEC NY). Lack of communication. Young Engineers are put into positions of managing experienced Electricians and who attempt to tell them how to do their jobs.. This usually doesn't end well, work is installed as directed and must be corrected. There is a lot of turnover due to the frustration of working long hours and receiving negative feedback from superiors although you are trying your best.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork Life Balance is preached and we are told by upper management to have a Life. But I have heard managers state " It must be 5:00 O'clock so and so left already".

Good opportunities, not for everyone

ProsExposure to a wide range of projects. Great benefits. Enjoyable people to work with. Growing company, so plenty of room for quick advancement.

ConsThere is no work-life balance. Management doesn't communicate well. You will get moved halfway across the country at a moment's notice, but also be well compensated for moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on some of the communication plans you've told us about.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"All American" company that's not so "All American"

Equipment Engineer and Field Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood health care benefits. The company generally works in large cities so your quality of life while working on an ongoing project is usually pretty good as compared to other divisions of Kiewit.

ConsLong hours with no additional financial incentives, expectations to work well past 40hrs a week for some while others work 40hrs every week. Extremely young men and women are the majority of the management staff. Very few people in leadership positions that actually have leadership skills. It was very difficult to understand how I could have advanced or when I would advance when working here. A wide variance in pay between individuals in the same management positions.

Very veteran unfriendly. Previous military experience meant nothing to the HR team, managers, or other employees mostly because none of them knew anything about the military or the benefits a veteran brings to their work force. At times I almost felt discriminated against because I was a veteran.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate the young staff of managers on professionalism, provide a clear and available explanation of how to advance with in your role at the company, and offer overtime or a field bonus for individuals working on an ongoing project in the field. No one should work 70hrs a week for the same that someone makes working 40hrs a week.

There is also a lot of blame game that goes on when there is a problem. More time is spent trying to blame someone than addressing the problem at hand. This frustrated me multiple times when working here.

I also had several senior project managers share their political views and other personal opinions with me when I worked here. This is highly unprofessional. They also need some sort of sensitivity training or at least need to be told what is proper topics to speak about when in a professional environment.

Good company to work for

Electrician (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSafety is paramount. They provide all safety gear (hardhat, safety glasses, gloves, harnesses, etc)

ConsWorked with a couple of jerks a few times but that happens everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell all your workers to be respectful of each other or suffer termination.

Mass Electric is ok. Not exactly what I expected.

Field Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood job security. Good opportunity to grow your career.

ConsEmployees are frequently asked to move at the last minute, and you usually don't have any idea how long you will be in an area. It could be 6 months or it could be 3 years.

Work life balance is ok sometimes, but terrible other times. When things are busy you could be working +70 hours, and working night shifts. If construction is winding down you could have a more normal schedule, but I would expect a minimum of 50 hours a week.

Internship Adventure

Intern (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSpent a summer with the company while finishing up school. Had the opportunity to spend a Summer working in Dallas. Awesome people, lots of team building, free golf, and overall great time. Many people don't recognize MEC is a subsidiary to Kiewit - but you get the same experience if not better as a specialty contractor...

ConsHave to be ready to hit the road. I am and I'm ready for some more.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething must be working. Keep 'er up..

Was not my best experience

Intern (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsPositive, and young work environment

ConsWork your way up the hierarchy
    Job location moves, no say in where to go

hard work, good people, safety focus

Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-company that takes care of its people
    -the most safety focus I have ever seen in a contractor
    -grew up playing with the trains, now get paid to work on them

Cons-have to have a long term career focus, you will not last if you are in it for a quick win
    -would like to see other areas of MEC, they are spread from coast to coast so a lot of territory to cover

Advice to Senior Management-spice up the website a little, does not show off the latest and greatest work we do
    -keep up the safety focus. means a lot to know you work for a company that cares

Mass Electric Is a great place to work if you don't mind the relocation

Intern (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay and benefits
    covers some relocation expenses, may offer housing assistance, may offer vehicle assistance
    great people!!!
    ability to move up if you show promise

Consconstant moving around (like every 2-4 years)
    inability to easily shift from Mass to other subsidararies and back

Worked for Mass Electric? Contribute to the Community!