Mass Electric

3.5

Al Sori

Good Place to work.

I have been working at Mass Electric

Pros

I like what I do.

Cons

I work a lot of hours.

Not good

I have been working at Mass Electric

Pros

Many responsibility, wear different hats

Cons

Long hours, management favoritism

Hire more experienced engineers for big projects

No room for advancement, lack of opportunity.

Former Employee - Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Mass Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are decent and it seems that there is always work to do.

Cons

If you are young, bright, and eager to learn and advance, this is NOT the company for you. Management is not willing to help you understand the business. As a young employee you will be given tedious tasks without knowing why you are doing it. If you ask questions, management will make you feel like it's none of your business. Be prepared to make no career advancement for at least your first 5 years. The company believes you need to "pay your dues" while learning nothing.

The office culture is very poor. Lots of swearing and lack of professionalism.

Mass Electric has an extremely high turn over rate for young engineers. Support your young talent and TEACH them. Don't just stick them in a cubicle and check back with them 5 years later, expecting they are happy. MEC has a very poor outlook; lots of talent retiring and very little talent willing to work there. Other companies in the industry have excellent developmental programs with abundant learning experiences.

Field Engineer Intern

I worked at Mass Electric full-time

Pros

Amount of responsibility that an intern can acquire is much higher than other construction firms.

Cons

Not many people enjoy their job and there is not chance to grow in the company without having to work 70 hours a week for the rest of your life.

Do not crash the schedule and make the staff employees work too much. Your turnover rate is high because the amount of work the staff does is not compensated.

Estimator Intern at Mass Electric - Positive experience

Current Employee - Estimator in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Estimator in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Mass Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I thought the office environment was incredibly friendly and helpful. Everyone is willing to help out and is super nice.

There was an emphasis on training which was nice. I learned a lot.

Pay was good, I won't write the exact amount but for an intern I felt I was being paid, at the very least, satisfactorily.

Cons

MEC gives interns a lot of responsibility, which is nice and I learned a lot that way, but I also made some mistakes and felt bad because the higher-ups trusted me with the responsibility when I don't know if I was ready/trained enough for it.

MEC NY

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience for your career. Great Training Ground! Benefits are great if they put you in IBEW Local #3, but sometimes they pull your Union Card and send you to a Jobsite wherein you are not required to be a member of Local #3. This causes problems with your Medical Benefits and other benefits that increase over time in the Union. The non union benefits are good as well.

Cons

We are evaluated by management with little to no Electrical Experience (MEC NY). Lack of communication. Young Engineers are put into positions of managing experienced Electricians and who attempt to tell them how to do their jobs.. This usually doesn't end well, work is installed as directed and must be corrected. There is a lot of turnover due to the frustration of working long hours and receiving negative feedback from superiors although you are trying your best.

Work Life Balance is preached and we are told by upper management to have a Life. But I have heard managers state " It must be 5:00 O'clock so and so left already".

Good opportunities, not for everyone

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to a wide range of projects. Great benefits. Enjoyable people to work with. Growing company, so plenty of room for quick advancement.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Management doesn't communicate well. You will get moved halfway across the country at a moment's notice, but also be well compensated for moving.

Follow through on some of the communication plans you've told us about.

Was a great opportunity and experience...

Current Employee - Exp Groundsmen in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Exp Groundsmen in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment and communication throughout company...

Cons

There were not any cons that I could remember...

Keep up the good work...

"All American" company that's not so "All American"

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer and Field Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineer and Field Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mass Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good health care benefits. The company generally works in large cities so your quality of life while working on an ongoing project is usually pretty good as compared to other divisions of Kiewit.

Cons

Long hours with no additional financial incentives, expectations to work well past 40hrs a week for some while others work 40hrs every week. Extremely young men and women are the majority of the management staff. Very few people in leadership positions that actually have leadership skills. It was very difficult to understand how I could have advanced or when I would advance when working here. A wide variance in pay between individuals in the same management positions.

Very veteran unfriendly. Previous military experience meant nothing to the HR team, managers, or other employees mostly because none of them knew anything about the military or the benefits a veteran brings to their work force. At times I almost felt discriminated against because I was a veteran.

Educate the young staff of managers on professionalism, provide a clear and available explanation of how to advance with in your role at the company, and offer overtime or a field bonus for individuals working on an ongoing project in the field. No one should work 70hrs a week for the same that someone makes working 40hrs a week.

There is also a lot of blame game that goes on when there is a problem. More time is spent trying to blame someone than addressing the problem at hand. This frustrated me multiple times when working here.

I also had several senior project managers share their political views and other personal opinions with me when I worked here. This is highly unprofessional. They also need some sort of sensitivity training or at least need to be told what is proper topics to speak about when in a professional environment.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Electrician in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Electrician in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Safety is paramount. They provide all safety gear (hardhat, safety glasses, gloves, harnesses, etc)

Cons

Worked with a couple of jerks a few times but that happens everywhere.

Tell all your workers to be respectful of each other or suffer termination.