MassMutual

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company with unlimited opportunity

Recruiting Intern (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI started out as a Recruiting Intern and was offered a full time opportunity. My support team was amazing. I assisted the Executive Recruiting Director and Recruiting Director on human resource activities and daily recruiting duties. I learned strong and weak points about myself that have benefited my progress with the company. I have grown educationally as well as professionally working with Hoopis leadership team and partners.

ConsThe company is still in the development process so their is a lot of change to adapt to.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to assist your agents, interns, and staff in bettering themselves and you will always have a dedicated team of workers

Great company, tough to get going

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat company and people to work with

ConsIt is tough starting out and building your own practice. Lots of help but you will either have to cold call or go after family and friends

Run and Hide

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsMet some nice people and thats it,

ConsPlace is run like a puppy mill,They charge for phone calls,business cards,envelopes and a desk fee.They make you work with a partner who takes half the fee after you set up appt.Management hopes you leave so they can pick up your renewal fees.Also be careful what you sign in way of contracting.They prey on young college kids to get the parents and friends to sign up,and once that is done so are you.They provide no leads or financial support.STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office and help people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Service Professional

Financial Service Professional (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsExtremely flexible time. Choose your own market and client. No earning cap.

ConsNo base pay. Monthly $140 fee to be a full-time agent. Lots of calling required to survive. Friends and familes become your business.

Nice Place

Intern (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsExtreme flexibility (potential con if abused)
    -OPPORTUNITY to make a lot of money
    -Chance to help people
    -Your own business

Cons100% comission
    -Takes a couple YEARS to build business
    -Lots of cold calling/phoning
    -Learn as you go
    -SPLIT comissions when starting out
    - ~70% turnover = your clients go to someone else when you decide to change careers

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a VERY tough business, but if you stick the first couple years of learning out, you can be very successful. Have a good +/-6 months of fallback savings to cover bills/ expenses when starting out.

Great place to start a career in life insurance

Financial Services Professional (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSenior managememt really cares about you and wants you to succeed. Excellent training, mentoring programs, competitive commision structure, could be a great career for someone who is good at building a book of business. Solid and stable company. Great people to work with. Everyone is really geniune and knowlegable. Very professional work setting.

ConsTough industry, have to be good at prospecting, no base salary, have to pay for your own marketing, turn over high.

Very positive organization that works with the sales team

Financial Services Professional (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosas a field agent, I feel like the company works for me. It is nice to feel like they understand how challenging my career is and really work with the sales team.

Consnot a lot of assistance with capital investments. It is very hard to continue to grow, because every dollar is out of your own pocket.

Advice to Senior Managementretention isn't that tough, just takes money

Not really great

Associate Agent (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros-Good products
    -Good presence in the region
    -Good orientation to help small businesses

ConsNot good communication with home office
    Not good set up with general agent. If his/her management fails, who steps in?
    Not ethical in regard to the bait and switch.

Advice to Senior ManagementMass Mutual is a multi-billion dollar corporation and should not be bashing former agents on their credit reports.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.