MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros:
  • "Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good Benefits (tuition assistance) and amenities on site"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The industry gets a bad rep because it is all commission-based and it is quite difficult to get off of the ground, and this is no different here"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No salary makes it challenging initially"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good People

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are friendly and want to see you succeed. If you have the patience, you can do quite well.

ConsSalary will be dependent on how well you can sell.

Great culture of support and high performance

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsFrom the very second you walk into the office, there is a welcoming environment. You immediately feel that people are happy and that every single person matters in the organization. The core values of the company are growth, personal responsibility and work-life balance and it is clear that the company takes those seriously.

ConsOne thing to consider when working for the company as an advisor is there isn't a base pay. This can be very much seen as a pro or con. Pro being there is unlimited income potential with great benefits and for people that are high achievers, they will thrive in an environment like that. Con being you do need to have some savings when you first start to make sure you can survive the first couple months in the off-chance you don't get a commission check right away.

Great Company with unlimited opportunity

Recruiting Intern (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsI started out as a Recruiting Intern and was offered a full time opportunity. My support team was amazing. I assisted the Executive Recruiting Director and Recruiting Director on human resource activities and daily recruiting duties. I learned strong and weak points about myself that have benefited my progress with the company. I have grown educationally as well as professionally working with Hoopis leadership team and partners.

ConsThe company is still in the development process so their is a lot of change to adapt to.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to assist your agents, interns, and staff in bettering themselves and you will always have a dedicated team of workers

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not good for recent college grad

Agent (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsCool people, fun outside events

ConsPromised to be paid but aren't
100% commission
Paid for your own license

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people, just tough for recent college grad

Stuck in a Time Warp

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company is in a strong financial position, with decent pay and bonuses generally pay out at the target. Because they are mutually held they don't have the same pressures as a public company. It's a slow moving industry and company so you won't see a lot of change or really any change.

ConsIf you don't live in the Springfield area and have not worked in the Life Insurance industry this is not the place for you. The culture is stuck in a time warp. The CEO has only ever worked at MassMutual and has the blinders of 'doing it the same old way' which is held across the company. They recognize the need to become more innovative and flexible and have been recruiting from the outside for some key hires. Candidates realize quickly that this is a painful environment that has no appetite for change -- you are pushed down if you try to move outside the boundaries... to the point you are talked to about 'assimilating'.

There is a reason last year's salary.com survey showed them as having the highest turnover of any company.... very few who come in new stay for very long.

Horrible place to work

Retirement Education Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at MassMutual full-time

ProsIt is a job, that doesn't pay by debit card yet!!!!

ConsIf your are not in senior management, you do not matter. You will do as you are told, regardless of your experience, otherwise you will be sent on your way. Your job will be segmented, expect to be replaced quickly if you do not fall in line with their BIG DATA ways. The only thing that matters is cash flow, so much so that one senior vp even jokes that she named her dog "cash flow", many believe it!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect to fail, your yes men and women will never tell you when you are wrong. You will get what you deserve as you fail in the businesses you buy your way into.

challenging but rewarding

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Prosflexibility, pay, commisions, open environment

Consstarting from scratch is hard to do, but rewading

Advice to Senior Managementgreat management

Unprofessional and lack of communication

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern

ProsLarge Company
National presence
Recruit heavily

ConsLack of communication
Don't follow through with commitments
No care for prospective employees
Vertical hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a General Manager at one of your offices schedules a time to speak over the phone and then reschedules that call, it would be important for these management level employees to follow through with their obligations. Also, if they cannot make the time they previously scheduled ensure they contact the person with a reasoning rather than having someone wait around 5 hours on a phone call that still has yet to happen. Overall, follow through with your obligations will make all stakeholders happy, not uncertainty!

Agent

Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat working environment and training.

ConsYou have to pay for printing, parking etc... Sales cycle is long so if you do not have enough money to last a few months this is not for you. To get started it really depends on your natural market and who you know.

Great People, terrible company

Technical Agent (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsThe agents and their assistants are great to work with. They're generally helpful and kind and carry on fun and interesting conversation while performing work. They understand life/work balance and are pretty flexible.

ConsDue to the environment, little monetary investment is made in good and proper technology. While its up to the agents to provide technology for their assistants, corporate provides the technology for the agency. If a computer crashes there are no backups on hand (for agency staff nor independent agents). No spare keyboards/mice. No IT tools like USB CD-rom for re-installing OS on machines with faulty drives (or bios limitations).

As IT, I daily use my own personal equipment to satisfy agency needs, including taking PC's home to download updates.

The salary is 30% to 50% less than average for the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better infrastructure. 1.5Mbs internet does not work for 65 to share.
Provide backup hardware for PC's. Spare hard drives, keyboards/mice/monitors are essential for any IT work.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All 253 reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.