MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment(in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients(in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary(in 9 reviews)

Company needs to revise compensation program. Constant turnover because of low and inconsistent pay.

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsOverall good company with a good public reputation.

ConsCompensation and training are poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut together at base pay plus commission compensation package and a much more comprehensive training 3 month program. Doing this would increase the overall professionalism of the organization and it would develop much stronger and knowledgable CAREER Agents. Hiring anyone who has a perceived good warm market and then depleting this warm market over a year or so is not conducive to building a strong organization of seasoned and professional Agents. Most Agents don't stay with company more than a year.

It was an interesting experience working at MassMutual as an intern; however, I was mostly stuck making copies.

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFrom my observation the commission for agents is pretty competitive with other financial services companies. I think is one is looking for a career in sales, MassMutual would be a good place for them.

ConsSome employees told me that the only perk of working at MassMutual longterm was that they get one more day of vacation each year, and that's about it. I saw some agents become managers; however, I do not think that their salary increased (actually, it might have decreased).

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Like working unpaid overtime? This may be your kind of place!

Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsFinancially strong company. Great reputation in industry for paying claims. I hear that employees in non-production related roles don't have to work as much overtime.

ConsWith the economic downturn around 2008, like many companies, MassMutual stopped filling positions that became vacant due to attrition. Managers told the employees in production environments that they would simply have to get the work done with the staff they had left. They then began requiring staff to work X# of hours/ week of unpaid overtime. This has spiraled into an unfortunate work environment where the employees have to put in 5, 10, even 15 hours per week of unpaid overtime, on a regular basis, almost year-round. There is no way that you can work here and have a normal family life or social life. You can work 12 hours/ day all week and then still be told on Friday that you have to put in 5 more hours on Saturday. Huge sales contest every Sept-Dec- OT is even worse, vacation time not really permitted. Everyone in this type of role is trying to leave.
    Health benefits are sub-par.
    Ridiculous open work environments (no cubicle walls) to promote collaboration, even in roles where this is not appropriate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the enormous bonuses senior leaders are being paid a bit so you can afford to hire enough employees to manage the work and have a life. You are relying on your staff to work excessive free overtime as your normal way of managing business. Don't say you value work/life balance when your management philosophy proves your don't. As the economy improves, more and more people will be leaving.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It killed me to leave, but I was working my tail off towards what ended up being nothing but empty promises.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI started out as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Assistant to the GA/Licensing and Contracting Coordinator. Lots of personal growth.

ConsI moved up in positions, never in salary. There was always another goal to be met before I could get the pay raise I had been working towards. Eventually, I just realized that it would never happen. They strung me along for way too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the staff what they are worth. And don't make promises that you aren't planning on keeping.

Traditional Mutual Insurance company culture

Career Agent (Current Employee)

ProsMassMutual is one of the most succesful mutuals in the life insurance business. It is one of the best mutual companies to work for. They allow a great deal of freedom to sell other companies when the MassMutual offering in any particular situation just doesn't fit. There are ample training opportunities and you have the option to receive advances in commission so that you get paid from the start. Sales bonuses are available for quick starters and those that sell a significant amount of policies during the first year. This is a quality company and they expect their representatives to be high quality as well. Business dress is expected while working in or out of the office. Target markets are high net worth individuals and big business. Sales sophistication is a must.

ConsExpectations are high, and may seem unreasonable. If you don't produce right away, or hit a dry spell, you won't get fired, but you also will not get much attention or support. Only those that come into the company with a successful insurance or financial practice already in place can expect to be treated with respect from the beginning. The rest of the pack has to earn it. The worst thing about this carrier is case management. It takes forever to get an application approved and issued. This is especially tough on a new agent.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide greater support to your general agencies so that they can hire and retain good agents through improved case management and training. Rapid and accurate case management is absolutely essential to the success of young, hard working new hires. Having only two or three well-trained and qualified case managers in a large (over 25 agents) agency office is just not enough. Your losing quality people due to lack of attention to this important part of the business. Finally, your managers need leadership training.

I have been treated well while working for MassMutual.

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

Prosfour weeks vacation, flex time, work at home options, stable company

Consguidance with career paths, culture is responding slowly to change

Advice to Senior Managementplease continue to advance changes by setting the example

Like being in a cult!

Retirement Education Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsBeing able to work in the field with clients wasn't a bad gig.

ConsAll they really care about is numbers. Working with retirement plans, and their participants is about so much more, competency, the ability to build trust and instill confidence...
    Such a cliquey culture of peers, and very poor management. It's sad to say in this modern era that Mass Mutual is still a big ol' sexist boys club. If someone decides they don't like you, even if it's for personal, not professional reasons, look out, it's only a matter of time before they will gang up and run you out of there.
    The corporate culture of RAH, Mass Mutual, sucks. It was like being at a pep rally, rather than being a working professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your 'bad seeds' upper management who get drunk at conferences and behave inappropriately, and weed them out. It's hard to respect a superior who uses homophobic and racial terms that are generally frowned upon.

Interesting place to work.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsLots of good organizational knowledge in the resources who have been there for a while.

ConsThe new flavor of managing 'MMWay' is playing havoc with getting the real work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think your purpose of MMWay -- can't fit a square into a round hole.

Not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood opportunities if self-motivated and outgoing.

ConsAggressive marketing practices makes you uncomfortable.

Good Company, Tough to get started

ProsGreat Mentorship and training

ConsDifficult to start if your network is limited.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!