MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros:
  • "Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company - Excellent Leadership Team - Cares About Employees - Fantastic Trajectory

Springfield, MA

ProsSmart and caring people, generally friendly and helpful co-workers, good benefits, consistently strong results, strategic and forward-looking leaders, highly ethical and values based, gives to the community. Excellent employee services including on-site credit union, cafeteria, fitness center, employee store, dry-cleaner/shoe repair/barber-beauty salon, etc. Beautifully redone common area. On-site, free parking. Competitive pay. Collaborative culture.

ConsSpringfield location is not the best - no easy way to get there from the highway. Enfield location is right off the highway, though. Implementing lean methodology across company, and while this makes sense in production areas, it's torturous in knowledge-based areas. While lean tools can be helpful, when over-relied on they slow things down rather than make things better. Also, the move to open seating is ridiculous. Noise is distracting and intrusive and there is no privacy. The intent is to foster collaboration, but people just put on headphones so that they can concentrate. Collaborative culture can slow down decision making at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about lean. Re-think the open seating concept. Learn and use the tools, but don't be a slave to the methodology.

Review

ProsGreat Employer great location nice

Consnone at this time, great employer

Flexible Projects & Friendly Culture

Current Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Addison, TX

ProsHad a great relationship with my boss that allowed me to provide him with criticism and ideas for new projects. Gave me creative and flexible control over projects as long as I met deadlines. Supported my decisions and encouraged my interests. Very positive workplace and coworkers support each other.

ConsCan be somewhat hectic, demanding and uncomfortable. Requires communication with clients who are rude and disrespectful. Tedious work but rewarding when finished.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more internship opportunities at local offices and more feedback to interns.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPeople are friendly and want to see you succeed. If you have the patience, you can do quite well.

ConsSalary will be dependent on how well you can sell.

Great Company with unlimited opportunity

Recruiting Intern (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI started out as a Recruiting Intern and was offered a full time opportunity. My support team was amazing. I assisted the Executive Recruiting Director and Recruiting Director on human resource activities and daily recruiting duties. I learned strong and weak points about myself that have benefited my progress with the company. I have grown educationally as well as professionally working with Hoopis leadership team and partners.

ConsThe company is still in the development process so their is a lot of change to adapt to.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to assist your agents, interns, and staff in bettering themselves and you will always have a dedicated team of workers

Great culture of support and high performance

ProsFrom the very second you walk into the office, there is a welcoming environment. You immediately feel that people are happy and that every single person matters in the organization. The core values of the company are growth, personal responsibility and work-life balance and it is clear that the company takes those seriously.

ConsOne thing to consider when working for the company as an advisor is there isn't a base pay. This can be very much seen as a pro or con. Pro being there is unlimited income potential with great benefits and for people that are high achievers, they will thrive in an environment like that. Con being you do need to have some savings when you first start to make sure you can survive the first couple months in the off-chance you don't get a commission check right away.

They focus on ensuring your success.

Financial Professional (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsTraining is very comprehensive. The support team is willing and able to answer any questions you have, both while learning and when fully experienced. Everyone in each regional office seems to support one another in other offices if they are dealing with business there.

ConsNot a whole lot of guaranteed pay, if any, for some positions. There is a whole lot of information and techniques to learn to fully do job task, but to the motivated individuals, this is no problem.

Not good for recent college grad

Agent (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsCool people, fun outside events

ConsPromised to be paid but aren't
    100% commission
    Paid for your own license

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people, just tough for recent college grad

Horrible place to work

Retirement Education Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a job, that doesn't pay by debit card yet!!!!

ConsIf your are not in senior management, you do not matter. You will do as you are told, regardless of your experience, otherwise you will be sent on your way. Your job will be segmented, expect to be replaced quickly if you do not fall in line with their BIG DATA ways. The only thing that matters is cash flow, so much so that one senior vp even jokes that she named her dog "cash flow", many believe it!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect to fail, your yes men and women will never tell you when you are wrong. You will get what you deserve as you fail in the businesses you buy your way into.

challenging but rewarding

Prosflexibility, pay, commisions, open environment

Consstarting from scratch is hard to do, but rewading

Advice to Senior Managementgreat management

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.