MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros:
  • "Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stuck in a Time Warp

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is in a strong financial position, with decent pay and bonuses generally pay out at the target. Because they are mutually held they don't have the same pressures as a public company. It's a slow moving industry and company so you won't see a lot of change or really any change.

ConsIf you don't live in the Springfield area and have not worked in the Life Insurance industry this is not the place for you. The culture is stuck in a time warp. The CEO has only ever worked at MassMutual and has the blinders of 'doing it the same old way' which is held across the company. They recognize the need to become more innovative and flexible and have been recruiting from the outside for some key hires. Candidates realize quickly that this is a painful environment that has no appetite for change -- you are pushed down if you try to move outside the boundaries... to the point you are talked to about 'assimilating'.

There is a reason last year's salary.com survey showed them as having the highest turnover of any company.... very few who come in new stay for very long.

Retirement Specialist

ProsAbility to work from home; professional colleagues who are experts in their field.

ConsCompensation not as great as some competitors.

Great for Macro Financial Planning, Doesn't Pigeon-Hole Clients into Investments Only

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsFrom the outset, I have been most impressed with the quality of people in this organization. The advisors here truly care about their clients and give advice freely. I've never seen that until I came to MassMutual.

ConsIf you aren't ready to run a business and the risks associated with it, don't join.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuing with the mentorship programs. Have more bonding events for new hires.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional and lack of communication

ProsLarge Company
    National presence
    Recruit heavily

ConsLack of communication
    Don't follow through with commitments
    No care for prospective employees
    Vertical hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a General Manager at one of your offices schedules a time to speak over the phone and then reschedules that call, it would be important for these management level employees to follow through with their obligations. Also, if they cannot make the time they previously scheduled ensure they contact the person with a reasoning rather than having someone wait around 5 hours on a phone call that still has yet to happen. Overall, follow through with your obligations will make all stakeholders happy, not uncertainty!

challenging but rewarding

Prosflexibility, pay, commisions, open environment

Consstarting from scratch is hard to do, but rewading

Advice to Senior Managementgreat management

Review

ProsGreat Employer great location nice

Consnone at this time, great employer

Agent

Newport Beach, CA

ProsGreat working environment and training.

ConsYou have to pay for printing, parking etc... Sales cycle is long so if you do not have enough money to last a few months this is not for you. To get started it really depends on your natural market and who you know.

Great Company - Excellent Leadership Team - Cares About Employees - Fantastic Trajectory

Springfield, MA

ProsSmart and caring people, generally friendly and helpful co-workers, good benefits, consistently strong results, strategic and forward-looking leaders, highly ethical and values based, gives to the community. Excellent employee services including on-site credit union, cafeteria, fitness center, employee store, dry-cleaner/shoe repair/barber-beauty salon, etc. Beautifully redone common area. On-site, free parking. Competitive pay. Collaborative culture.

ConsSpringfield location is not the best - no easy way to get there from the highway. Enfield location is right off the highway, though. Implementing lean methodology across company, and while this makes sense in production areas, it's torturous in knowledge-based areas. While lean tools can be helpful, when over-relied on they slow things down rather than make things better. Also, the move to open seating is ridiculous. Noise is distracting and intrusive and there is no privacy. The intent is to foster collaboration, but people just put on headphones so that they can concentrate. Collaborative culture can slow down decision making at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about lean. Re-think the open seating concept. Learn and use the tools, but don't be a slave to the methodology.

Flexible Projects & Friendly Culture

Current Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Addison, TX

ProsHad a great relationship with my boss that allowed me to provide him with criticism and ideas for new projects. Gave me creative and flexible control over projects as long as I met deadlines. Supported my decisions and encouraged my interests. Very positive workplace and coworkers support each other.

ConsCan be somewhat hectic, demanding and uncomfortable. Requires communication with clients who are rude and disrespectful. Tedious work but rewarding when finished.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more internship opportunities at local offices and more feedback to interns.

Great People, terrible company

Technical Agent (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe agents and their assistants are great to work with. They're generally helpful and kind and carry on fun and interesting conversation while performing work. They understand life/work balance and are pretty flexible.

ConsDue to the environment, little monetary investment is made in good and proper technology. While its up to the agents to provide technology for their assistants, corporate provides the technology for the agency. If a computer crashes there are no backups on hand (for agency staff nor independent agents). No spare keyboards/mice. No IT tools like USB CD-rom for re-installing OS on machines with faulty drives (or bios limitations).

As IT, I daily use my own personal equipment to satisfy agency needs, including taking PC's home to download updates.

The salary is 30% to 50% less than average for the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better infrastructure. 1.5Mbs internet does not work for 65 to share.
    Provide backup hardware for PC's. Spare hard drives, keyboards/mice/monitors are essential for any IT work.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All 276 reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.