MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment(in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients(in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary(in 9 reviews)

They focus on ensuring your success.

Financial Professional (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsTraining is very comprehensive. The support team is willing and able to answer any questions you have, both while learning and when fully experienced. Everyone in each regional office seems to support one another in other offices if they are dealing with business there.

ConsNot a whole lot of guaranteed pay, if any, for some positions. There is a whole lot of information and techniques to learn to fully do job task, but to the motivated individuals, this is no problem.

Horrible place to work

Retirement Education Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a job, that doesn't pay by debit card yet!!!!

ConsIf your are not in senior management, you do not matter. You will do as you are told, regardless of your experience, otherwise you will be sent on your way. Your job will be segmented, expect to be replaced quickly if you do not fall in line with their BIG DATA ways. The only thing that matters is cash flow, so much so that one senior vp even jokes that she named her dog "cash flow", many believe it!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect to fail, your yes men and women will never tell you when you are wrong. You will get what you deserve as you fail in the businesses you buy your way into.

Great People, terrible company

Technical Agent (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe agents and their assistants are great to work with. They're generally helpful and kind and carry on fun and interesting conversation while performing work. They understand life/work balance and are pretty flexible.

ConsDue to the environment, little monetary investment is made in good and proper technology. While its up to the agents to provide technology for their assistants, corporate provides the technology for the agency. If a computer crashes there are no backups on hand (for agency staff nor independent agents). No spare keyboards/mice. No IT tools like USB CD-rom for re-installing OS on machines with faulty drives (or bios limitations).

As IT, I daily use my own personal equipment to satisfy agency needs, including taking PC's home to download updates.

The salary is 30% to 50% less than average for the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better infrastructure. 1.5Mbs internet does not work for 65 to share.
    Provide backup hardware for PC's. Spare hard drives, keyboards/mice/monitors are essential for any IT work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong company with good benefits, but needs culture change.

ProsGood Benefits (tuition assistance) and amenities on site

ConsLack of merit-based promotion and low payscale

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow talented individuals to flourish rather than prevent development.

Solid company with strong financial foundation

Knowledge Management Analyst (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsIt provides pretty flexible work schedules include telecommuting/work from home and is understanding in inclement weather. Benefits are better than most companies.

ConsStuck in 20th century manufacturing mentality, too much emphasis on diversity and not unity of purpose. Very siloed culture where teams, groups, or business units are reluctant to share knowledge and information.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and retain the employee of the 21st century, you have to stop seeing yourself as a mutual insurance company and more of a technology driven entity.

MassMutual San Francisco

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMassMutual has great products to offer people.

ConsPoorly run agency. They care nothing for new advisers. Just sign up friends and family and then people have to quit because they aren't really getting paid. Financing is a joke should just get a base instead. Turnover is so so so so high its crazy.

Advice to Senior Managementpay a base. reduce turnover

It was good, good training, this company is going places!

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsFortune 500 company. Great training. Thee best whole life product out there! The best Mutual company out there!

Cons"Financing" plan is a joke! Micro-managers don't care about you! Required to be at many meetings, but don't get paid for it!

The Land of Oz

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities for hard workers, trying to innovate and transform. Good cafe, benefits and bonus potential

ConsInstead of promoting and rewarding from within, many times they hire externally and pay that person 30% more than the top performer of that unit. Then you find out the external hire can't execute and that top performer needs to mentor the external hire. This happens quite frequently. I understand that you need to attract talent from outside to get fresh ideas, but for the gap in salary for these people to be so large against their peers is disheartening But I know their strategy is that they know people wont leave and they deal with it

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to manage and don't us MMWay as the tool. If you have the right leaders with the right skills, you wouldn't need a fancy program name

The possibility's are endless

Agent (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsMake your own schedule
    Great products to sell
    unlimited income potential
    The G.A. at my location is a class act and will do what ever he can to help.
    No micro management.
    A declining base salary provided.

ConsYou are left to your own devices and your poor work discipline may bite you.
    Being a 1099 employee

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy your Buffalo Office and replicate it.

Overall, a good place to work

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsThe benefits are very good and I like that it is a mutual company where the focus is more on long term results rather than the next quarter.

ConsManagement is trying to change the culture to make associates more accountable and there have been ongoing staff reductions over the past few years. Not entirely a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more openness and opposing viewpoints. There is too much brown nosing because associates believe that behavior is rewarded. Also, I believe the work from home privilege is being abused in many cases.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!