MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment(in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients(in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary(in 9 reviews)

A learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMass Mutual of Silicon Valley is a good place to get you feet wet in the sales world. They have a great training program

ConsThey try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients.

Old School and Perception Based Culture

(Former Employee) Enfield, CT

ProsThere are some good people and the cafeteria is decent.

ConsTime off policy, compensation, environment, culture. There is no work/life balance. Success is defined by the number of days and hours worked, rather that skill and ability. The MMWay office environment does not offer even the slightest amount of privacy, which makes it difficult to have quiet place to focus on your work. Working from home is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove from vacation, personal days, and sick time to a PTO bank. The current system is old school and encourages employees to call out "sick". Listen to your employees. Morale is low and management is out of touch. The message from the front line is so sanitized by the time it reaches senior management that it no longer reflects reality.

Financial Services Representative

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsGood leaders, good company name recognition amongst consumers, good trips provided for those with big sales numbers, good balance between work and outside life.

ConsNo salary, MUST know lots of potential buyers going into the business, no leads given, not enough sales training, sales managers aren't particularly accessible to the people they work with (they're often out on their own meetings trying to make sales).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your representatives leads to call, fix things sooner (this agency went without a General Agent for about 3 months), do more sales training, create a less stuffy and "generic corporate" atmosphere.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough. This is a FULL Commission sales job.

Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsMake as much $ as you want. You are your own boss.

ConsSh*t home office staff. People there are just stupid and drag a$$ on everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can suck it. They only watch out for who they choose.

Glorified Sales Job

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-No micro managing
    -Not a 8-5 job
    -good training for sales
    -nice office
    -Products being sold have quality
    -company with long history and well known

Cons-Sales position (i.e. lots of cold calling, soliciting, networking, etc...)
    -Can't trust anyone (everyone out for themselves)
    -No compensation (charged E&O insurance plus office fees)
    -Expected to fail (something like 80% or higher turnover for this job)

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support and infrastructure

Great place to work if you are willing to live off of Commission

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsTraining program
    Co workers were helpful

ConsNo Base Salary
    Commute was tiring

Its a job...but check your opinions at the door

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFair compensation, consistent positioning of business line

ConsAre opinions truly valued? Arrogant approach to market?

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team is aggressive and wants to win (good), but they are not necessarily humble in terms of seeing their own organizational flaws (unacceptable). They can stand to learn more - and truly listen - to all levels of employees. Employees take notice and many talk behind mgt backs (mgt levels as well)..... While opinions are sought, I saw time and again that if they are different than mgt, you're up a creek without a paddle. In my time there, I was treated fairly well...but I realized it was not a productive/healthy working environment with threatening innuendo (usually disguised with smiles and shrugs) if you do not fall in line. Then watch your back. If you don't mind being a 'yes' person, it's the company for you.

Financial Professional

Financial Professional (Former Employee) Mount Pleasant, SC

ProsGreat products to offer both for individuals and businesses

ConsThey focus on putting everyone no matter what age into Whole Life. It's not right as an investment for everyone. They're Term is WAY over priced.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it mandatory for your advisors to get their Series 6/63 so they are not forced to make money via Whole Life off of people when those people should not have whole life.

Audit Consultant

Audit Consultant (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsRelaxed Environment, Great Benefits and Health Care. Opportunity to grow within the company.

ConsIf you want to learn more and be cutting edge you won't like environment. Top performers are not recognized anymore than sub par performers have to bite your tongue and ignore it.

Great for starting out in the insurance and investment industry

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Glen Allen, VA

ProsProvided knowledge about mainly insurance but also investment prodcuts. Through role play, cold calling and cold walking (businessses) you develop good sales and people experience.

ConsThe company wants you to "push" there products and services which is not always right for the customer. The annuities they have are terrible and the insurance is expensive in some cases. They mass hire almost anyone it seems like. No salary and you do pa to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI knew what I was getting into when I signed on and had no problem with it. Tell people honestly what they can expect to make in the first year. Let them know there is a lot of role play and interactive training involved as well as cold calling.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!