MassMutual Reviews in Enfield, CT

Updated July 24, 2014

3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good compensation.

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are flexible schedules available at the discretion if your manager so that you can balance family and work responsibilities. The offer great bonuses and education reimbursement.

Cons

The Peter principle is alive and well at MassMutual. Unfortunately some folks get promoted to their level of incompetence. Management is fragmented.

Management needs to listen more to employees on work process issues.

Old School and Perception Based Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some good people and the cafeteria is decent.

Cons

Time off policy, compensation, environment, culture. There is no work/life balance. Success is defined by the number of days and hours worked, rather that skill and ability. The MMWay office environment does not offer even the slightest amount of privacy, which makes it difficult to have quiet place to focus on your work. Working from home is frowned upon.

Move from vacation, personal days, and sick time to a PTO bank. The current system is old school and encourages employees to call out "sick". Listen to your employees. Morale is low and management is out of touch. The message from the front line is so sanitized by the time it reaches senior management that it no longer reflects reality.

Terrible employee satisfaction. Will run you to the ground with expectations

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, nice tuition reimbursement package

Cons

We were all rewarded for pointing out our peers errors. I felt like i was walking on egg shells.

Remember you were not always at the top.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant at Mass Mutual

Former Employee - Systems Consultant  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice environment and good people.

Cons

Management are not always clear with respect to expectations and coordination of staff.

Set clear expectations and follow through on details of progress. Closely monitor dependencies in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

Used to be a good company to work for...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vacation time, 401(K)/Pension plan. Easy access, gym

Cons

After initial re-org (forgot what they called it -something about "excellence" when top down layoffs started, upper level mgrs were put in roles they were not suited for nor did they take the time to understand. The messsage our area heard was basically- be happy you have a job, and you are all replaceable. This was a company I was in for over 15 years and the plan was to do in daily, do a great job, give 100%+ all the time, and then retire. Well, if you were not the "bosses buddy" that did not happen. Nice company to start with, ended up not a nice company. Focus was only on the bottom dollar.

Talent comes in many shapes and forms. Be sure to keep your minds open to understand them, and your eyes open to see them. Reaching the better bottom dollar comes in many ways. Understand that.

Nightmare in Enfield

Former Employee - Claim Examiner  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Claim Examiner in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Free parking, salad bar and a gym

Cons

No room for growth and the compensation was horrible. Two years without a raise due to budget cutbacks. No health insurance to speak of. They switched to a health savings account and people quit just to find jobs with health insurance. They are not interested in talented long term employees. Employees are an "expense" and they make sure you know it. After our department review came out, they came up with an action plan to improve our department. Six months later not one idea had been implemented. I was told in one performance review "be thankful you have a job".

Get rid of the middle level managers that are incomptent. They may be cheap but they are costing you good talented employees that resign because they can't take it anymore. Reward your employees with fair raises. And provide health insurance.

OK.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Financially strong company. More job security

Cons

No career growth opportunities or advancement

Provide way of giving anonymous feedback to management. Some groups exist in fear. In some cases, post-engagement survey action only worsened morale because senior management not interested in really engaging. It's all about the "show".

Good people and employees are treated well, but very beaurocratic

Current Employee - Actuary  in  Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Actuary in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Most people are very personable. Great benefits, including small things like dry cleaning, shoe and clothing repair on site. Overall very good people.

Cons

Incentives need to be changed so that people are more willing to work together (be helpful) across areas. Employees are very helpful to their boss and immediate team, but it is hard to work people in other areas. There is a "silo" mentality.

Even within one's area, people are very political.

Even within one's area, people are very political.

Mutually Beneficial

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

For me, location and the industry. I do feel like I finally belong to an organization/team where I can grow.

Cons

Compensation for my job function is lower than in the tech industry.

It's time to get everyone from everyone division, group, team all in the same boat, rowing in the same direction.

Ensure your security by working for MassMutual

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

MassMutual offers a decent competetive pay for full time employees. Most departments have a flexible work schedule, meaning you may start anytime between 7:30am and 9:00am and work your 8 hour shift. They offer a 401k plan with a 100% match after 3 years of employment. You will receive 3 weeks vacation time and 4 personal days and 5 paid sick days from day of hire. Medical benefits also begin day of hire. There is no waiting or trial period before benefits start. If you need excused time for an appointment during normal work hours you may take up to 4 hours with management approval and make up the time within that current work week.

Cons

Mandatory overtime at peek times of the year, Never ending work loads

Spend more time with the employees getting to know exactly what we do as front line employees of the company.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!