MassMutual

www.massmutual.com

MassMutual Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.7

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

role of an agent

Current Employee - Agent  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Agent in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

if you do your chores it is a great career. it is about creating everything from marketing appoitments setting prospecting, like any sales job but you own your practice, there is renewable income streams and everyone needs the products unlike a specialty medcial device.

Cons

The initial understanding of time needed to implement stratagies and the lag in inital compensation is left a little vauge.

be completly up front witht the fact that this is a commision driven business and that it is not as easy at it seems they make it out to be...

Outstanding personal and professional growth opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Personal growth and professional performance are key drivers. Fun, fast paced and collaborative work environment.

Cons

Not a place to hang out. Got to be highly motivated.

Keep the momentum going and continue to invest in people.

MassMutual

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

It is a good company with good products and services, as well as great potential for growth in the company

Cons

It is a pick your poison type of thing. Although MassMutual is a great company it falls I'll to the same woes of other mutual firms when it comes to growth within the country.

Every company's management could lend better support and training. Senior management and personnel should mold new talent better in order to better retention rates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

Flexible scheduling, you get to control how much income you want to make depending on how hard you want to work.

Cons

In order to achieve a decent salary, you must be willing to put in an extensive amount of work, including lots of cold calling

More guidance to beginners who are new in the field, maybe if you helped them a little more you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Springfield, MA

Pros

Good Benefits, many training/learning opportunities, good work/life balance,

Cons

bad location in Springfield, pay is much lower than standard for position, company/division objectives/directions seem to change to quickly

For a few years the direction of the company seemed clear, the past year or 2 it has seemed the company has either lost or is trying again to find a new direction

Good comfortable place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

Pros

I recommend MassMutual. Great place to work. Senior Management has a plan and does a good job keeping the vision and goals of the company clear and communicated.

Cons

Parking. No parking garage means lengthy walks in the cold, rain and heat.

Doing a great job.

It was ok, offered me flexibility

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Offered an independent agent position that allowed me the flexibility to build my practice as I saw fit. This was important to me.

Cons

As an old line insurance company, there was still way to much emphasis on the insurance product side and not enough on the investment side.

I would do a better job of emphasizing the importance of a balanced approach including insurance, investments, and other types of personal protection

Professional Environment

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

MassMutual provides unlimited room for growth. Advisors may build their practice in virtually any market of their chosing (small businesses, retirement planning, family protection, special needs, women's businesses, LGBT ...). Very professional environment, great support, training, and camaraderie.

Cons

Initial earnings may be low, until your client base is established. High turnover rate, which is expected with ANY commissioned sales position. Most who make it past their first year are very successful thereafter.

Continue the ongoing product and industry training. Provide more effective mentoring for new advisors - joint-work does not necessarily translate to mentoring.

Excellent place for entrepreneurs to build their practice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Rigorous selection process, state of the art training on products and sales, very strong support staff, community focused, client service focus, strong leadership in agency and at the senior level of the company.

Cons

Like any start up, long time to build practice

Have more frequent, informal, all hands meetings to let us know how the agency is doing. Twice a year at LCA is nice, but even 30 minute meetings every 6 weeks would inspire even more loyalty.

A great atmosphere and encouragement of new advisors.

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

As a new advisor, I feel that their training and support is excellent. We have ongoing training twice weekly and mentorship through senior advisors for those like myself who are new to the business. Management of our (Walnut Creek) office is competent and always ready to share and help. My manager is part of my success as he available to me on a regular weekly basis to keep me moving in the right direction. I truly enjoy the great team environment and coworkers here who are friendly and open to giving me sales ideas and support.

Cons

You have to be deligent about time management and self reliance to become successful.

Keep on offering the incentives, rewards and trips for all associates.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!