MassMutual Reviews

1. It was okay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

THe best reason to work at Mass Mutual would be to have more freedom within your field. It was fun.

Cons

The biggest downside I experienced while working at Mass Mutual was the lack of guidance or direction from my sales manager.

Advice to Management

My advice to management in regards to leadership, would be to have your sale's managers give more guidance and direction.

2. Uber conservative, No growth oppertunities...do what your told and don't have an opinion

Current Employee - Training & Documentation Consultant in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Training & Documentation Consultant in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

location (both Enfield and Springfield) networking experience

Cons

no growth oppertunities benefits get worse every year lots of bad managers and senior leaders more focus on the bottom line then employee or customer satisfaction

Advice to Management

refocus on employee satisfaction. Stop cutting corners to save a buck. Too many very talented people have been let go.

3. Nightmare in Enfield

Former Employee - Claim Examiner in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Claim Examiner in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Free parking, salad bar and a gym

Cons

No room for growth and the compensation was horrible. Two years without a raise due to budget cutbacks. No health insurance to speak of. They switched to a health savings account and people quit just to find jobs with health insurance. They are not interested in talented long term employees. Employees are an "expense" and they make sure you know it. After our department review came out, they came up with an action plan to improve our department. Six months later not one idea had been implemented. I was told in one performance review "be thankful you have a job".

Advice to Management

Get rid of the middle level managers that are incomptent. They may be cheap but they are costing you good talented employees that resign because they can't take it anymore. Reward your employees with fair raises. And provide health insurance.

Shocked Mass Mutual Would Ruin Their Name by Not Paying Employees!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros

Cons

Worked there for 3 months, was charged mega fees for E&O insurance and was not even paid minimum wage! My take home for 3 Months of 40 hour weeks came out to $401.00 for the whole 3 months! That is less than 89-cents per hour! $401.00 was on 12 submitted applications. They ruined my life by lying to me that I would double my income by quitting my 70k job and going with them. . On top of that, they disputed my unemployment claim, claiming that I was an independent contractor....yet the ad I answered for the job said "employee" 4 times in it, and "independent contractor ZERO times. I lost at least $35,000.00 so far by believing their lies! And my family is struggling.

Advice to Management

Treat employees the way you would want your family to be treated in the work force.

6. Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited potential, you can take days off without needing any approval

Cons

It is set up like a pyramid scheme. You have to pay to work here, anywhere from $300-500 a month. The worst part is everyone gets paid before you. I know one rep that was there made about $3000 the ENTIRE year and only saw $50 of it because the company had their hands in it before they even paid her. You pay for EVERYTHING, the "salary plus bonus" is a joke and not guaranteed Extremely high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Don't set new people up to fail and stop hiring new people just to steal their warm market

7. Terrible - Go to another company, this is not what a career should be

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashua, NH

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Turnover rate is so high - you can get hired easily

Cons

Too much focus on commissions and pushing product - no focus on customer

Advice to Management

Take some management courses

8. General Agent

Former Employee - General Agent
    Former Employee - General Agent

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great upside compensation potential for as long as you can stay out of the cross hairs....

Cons

culture of managing by fear. The average tenure of a MassMutual GA is only about 6 years. Roughly 10% of their GA's are terminated each year and once a GA leaves MassMutual, they do all they can to "blacklist" and keep the GA's from moving to competitors. There is also an unethical culture in the compliance and legal areas of the company. company has a long history of circling the wagons whenever they make a mistake and look for someone to "throw under the bus" Putting agents and GA's in financial ruin.

Advice to Management

Fire most of your legal and compliance team and try admitting when the company makes mistakes instead of looking for someone to throw under the bus.....

Run and Hide

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some nice people and thats it,

Cons

Place is run like a puppy mill,They charge for phone calls,business cards,envelopes and a desk fee.They make you work with a partner who takes half the fee after you set up appt.Management hopes you leave so they can pick up your renewal fees.Also be careful what you sign in way of contracting.They prey on young college kids to get the parents and friends to sign up,and once that is done so are you.They provide no leads or financial support.STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and help people.

10. Would not reccommend working here

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good office staff; nice offices; quality products; ease of doing business; benefits

Cons

upper management not involved with day to day operations and not approachable or gets defensive; lower management robotic with their teachings; no help generating sales and no financial support to get started; appears that established agents have succeeded off the backs of people who quit within first year or two as their first sales are low relative to their income of residuals; worst case of good ol'e boy network you can imagine; unpleasant senior agents; we are asked to write in to "Best Places to Work in VA" so we can win; very unfavorable to women agents

Advice to Management

get in touch with agents coming along and ask what they need today not preach what used to be done 20 years ago; come off some of the money you all make and help new people get a good footing; don't make it so obvious what senior agents earn as it is very disheartening to see favoritism be rewarded

Used to be a good company to work for

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

friendly co-workers help make a poor working environment bearable.

Cons

Very poor leadership and a poor work/life balance. Culture is old school and generally against work from home arrangements. Tendency to be understaffed and excessive overtime is the norm. Not an open culture. Upper level management/executives are out of touch and not open to employee input for improving a very poor work environment.

Advice to Management

what you are doing right now isn't working. when you ask employees for input on your many surveys actually listen to what is being said.

RSS Feed </> Embed