MassMutual Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Rewarding work environment with the flexibility to take on additional responsibilities to build skills (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 16 reviews)

• They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Run and Hide

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met some nice people and thats it,

Cons

Place is run like a puppy mill,They charge for phone calls,business cards,envelopes and a desk fee.They make you work with a partner who takes half the fee after you set up appt.Management hopes you leave so they can pick up your renewal fees.Also be careful what you sign in way of contracting.They prey on young college kids to get the parents and friends to sign up,and once that is done so are you.They provide no leads or financial support.STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get out of your office and help people.

Poor Management, Poor Ethics

Former Employee - Recruting Director in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Recruting Director in Rochester, NY

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, enjoyed my role/position

Cons

Unethical owner, poorly run organization, high turnover

Bait and switch is no way to run an organization - live up to your words and standards.

General Agent

Former Employee - General Agent
    Former Employee - General Agent

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great upside compensation potential for as long as you can stay out of the cross hairs....

Cons

culture of managing by fear. The average tenure of a MassMutual GA is only about 6 years. Roughly 10% of their GA's are terminated each year and once a GA leaves MassMutual, they do all they can to "blacklist" and keep the GA's from moving to competitors.

There is also an unethical culture in the compliance and legal areas of the company. company has a long history of circling the wagons whenever they make a mistake and look for someone to "throw under the bus" Putting agents and GA's in financial ruin.

Fire most of your legal and compliance team and try admitting when the company makes mistakes instead of looking for someone to throw under the bus.....

Terrible - Go to another company, this is not what a career should be

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashua, NH

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Turnover rate is so high - you can get hired easily

Cons

Too much focus on commissions and pushing product - no focus on customer

Take some management courses

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlimited potential, you can take days off without needing any approval

Cons

It is set up like a pyramid scheme. You have to pay to work here, anywhere from $300-500 a month. The worst part is everyone gets paid before you. I know one rep that was there made about $3000 the ENTIRE year and only saw $50 of it because the company had their hands in it before they even paid her.

You pay for EVERYTHING, the "salary plus bonus" is a joke and not guaranteed

Extremely high turnover rate

Don't set new people up to fail and stop hiring new people just to steal their warm market

Shocked Mass Mutual Would Ruin Their Name by Not Paying Employees!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros

Cons

Worked there for 3 months, was charged mega fees for E&O insurance and was not even paid minimum wage! My take home for 3 Months of 40 hour weeks came out to $401.00 for the whole 3 months! That is less than 89-cents per hour! $401.00 was on 12 submitted applications.
    They ruined my life by lying to me that I would double my income by quitting my 70k job and going with them. .
    On top of that, they disputed my unemployment claim, claiming that I was an independent contractor....yet the ad I answered for the job said "employee" 4 times in it, and "independent contractor ZERO times.
    I lost at least $35,000.00 so far by believing their lies! And my family is struggling.

Treat employees the way you would want your family to be treated in the work force.

Shady Recruiting Practices

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment

Cons

When they recruit new sales representatives, they give you the impression that as long as you are licensed, they will immediately get you on board to sell their products. My managing associate was slow in beginning the process and made you wait a couple weeks before he could get a list of 200 prospects, and another interview with you. Overall their recruiting is shady, because they do not tell you all of what is required to produce for them, they just tell you "All you need is your license and its all good". They also don't tell you about the semi-mandatory training classes that are completely unpaid and are three times a week. I was only told about the importance of these training classes, after I had gone through the licensing requirements. They also don't tell you that unpaid training is expected for over 1 year, in the interview process the impression is that training is only a few week thing, and from there your mentor will give you flexible one-on-one time.

Be more transparent about what the job entails, and don't give recruits the impression that they are completely free and independent, they are still being held down by company policies.

Wont' give money back after being laid off

Current Employee - Material Handler in Vonore, TN
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Vonore, TN

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, to share. They are eating up my money.

Cons

Refuses to give money back, when I no longer work there and has no corporate number to call.

Give your number to your customers so that problems with monies owed can be refered to.

Nightmare in Enfield

Former Employee - Claim Examiner in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Claim Examiner in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Free parking, salad bar and a gym

Cons

No room for growth and the compensation was horrible. Two years without a raise due to budget cutbacks. No health insurance to speak of. They switched to a health savings account and people quit just to find jobs with health insurance. They are not interested in talented long term employees. Employees are an "expense" and they make sure you know it. After our department review came out, they came up with an action plan to improve our department. Six months later not one idea had been implemented. I was told in one performance review "be thankful you have a job".

Get rid of the middle level managers that are incomptent. They may be cheap but they are costing you good talented employees that resign because they can't take it anymore. Reward your employees with fair raises. And provide health insurance.

Uber conservative, No growth oppertunities...do what your told and don't have an opinion

Current Employee - Training & Documentation Consultant in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Training & Documentation Consultant in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

location (both Enfield and Springfield)
    networking
    experience

Cons

no growth oppertunities
    benefits get worse every year
    lots of bad managers and senior leaders
    more focus on the bottom line then employee or customer satisfaction

refocus on employee satisfaction. Stop cutting corners to save a buck. Too many very talented people have been let go.

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo