MassMutual

Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Rewarding work environment with the flexibility to take on additional responsibilities to build skills (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 18 reviews)

• No base salary, you only get a subsidy on the business you submit (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a good company to work for

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

friendly co-workers help make a poor working environment bearable.

Cons

Very poor leadership and a poor work/life balance. Culture is old school and generally against work from home arrangements. Tendency to be understaffed and excessive overtime is the norm. Not an open culture. Upper level management/executives are out of touch and not open to employee input for improving a very poor work environment.

what you are doing right now isn't working. when you ask employees for input on your many surveys actually listen to what is being said.

Would not reccommend working here

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good office staff; nice offices; quality products; ease of doing business; benefits

Cons

upper management not involved with day to day operations and not approachable or gets defensive; lower management robotic with their teachings; no help generating sales and no financial support to get started; appears that established agents have succeeded off the backs of people who quit within first year or two as their first sales are low relative to their income of residuals; worst case of good ol'e boy network you can imagine; unpleasant senior agents; we are asked to write in to "Best Places to Work in VA" so we can win; very unfavorable to women agents

get in touch with agents coming along and ask what they need today not preach what used to be done 20 years ago; come off some of the money you all make and help new people get a good footing; don't make it so obvious what senior agents earn as it is very disheartening to see favoritism be rewarded

Run and Hide

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met some nice people and thats it,

Cons

Place is run like a puppy mill,They charge for phone calls,business cards,envelopes and a desk fee.They make you work with a partner who takes half the fee after you set up appt.Management hopes you leave so they can pick up your renewal fees.Also be careful what you sign in way of contracting.They prey on young college kids to get the parents and friends to sign up,and once that is done so are you.They provide no leads or financial support.STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get out of your office and help people.

Poor Management, Poor Ethics

Former Employee - Recruting Director in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Recruting Director in Rochester, NY

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, enjoyed my role/position

Cons

Unethical owner, poorly run organization, high turnover

Bait and switch is no way to run an organization - live up to your words and standards.

General Agent

Former Employee - General Agent
    Former Employee - General Agent

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great upside compensation potential for as long as you can stay out of the cross hairs....

Cons

culture of managing by fear. The average tenure of a MassMutual GA is only about 6 years. Roughly 10% of their GA's are terminated each year and once a GA leaves MassMutual, they do all they can to "blacklist" and keep the GA's from moving to competitors.

There is also an unethical culture in the compliance and legal areas of the company. company has a long history of circling the wagons whenever they make a mistake and look for someone to "throw under the bus" Putting agents and GA's in financial ruin.

Fire most of your legal and compliance team and try admitting when the company makes mistakes instead of looking for someone to throw under the bus.....

Terrible - Go to another company, this is not what a career should be

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashua, NH

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Turnover rate is so high - you can get hired easily

Cons

Too much focus on commissions and pushing product - no focus on customer

Take some management courses

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlimited potential, you can take days off without needing any approval

Cons

It is set up like a pyramid scheme. You have to pay to work here, anywhere from $300-500 a month. The worst part is everyone gets paid before you. I know one rep that was there made about $3000 the ENTIRE year and only saw $50 of it because the company had their hands in it before they even paid her.

You pay for EVERYTHING, the "salary plus bonus" is a joke and not guaranteed

Extremely high turnover rate

Don't set new people up to fail and stop hiring new people just to steal their warm market

Shocked Mass Mutual Would Ruin Their Name by Not Paying Employees!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros

Cons

Worked there for 3 months, was charged mega fees for E&O insurance and was not even paid minimum wage! My take home for 3 Months of 40 hour weeks came out to $401.00 for the whole 3 months! That is less than 89-cents per hour! $401.00 was on 12 submitted applications.
    They ruined my life by lying to me that I would double my income by quitting my 70k job and going with them. .
    On top of that, they disputed my unemployment claim, claiming that I was an independent contractor....yet the ad I answered for the job said "employee" 4 times in it, and "independent contractor ZERO times.
    I lost at least $35,000.00 so far by believing their lies! And my family is struggling.

Treat employees the way you would want your family to be treated in the work force.

Shady Recruiting Practices

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment

Cons

When they recruit new sales representatives, they give you the impression that as long as you are licensed, they will immediately get you on board to sell their products. My managing associate was slow in beginning the process and made you wait a couple weeks before he could get a list of 200 prospects, and another interview with you. Overall their recruiting is shady, because they do not tell you all of what is required to produce for them, they just tell you "All you need is your license and its all good". They also don't tell you about the semi-mandatory training classes that are completely unpaid and are three times a week. I was only told about the importance of these training classes, after I had gone through the licensing requirements. They also don't tell you that unpaid training is expected for over 1 year, in the interview process the impression is that training is only a few week thing, and from there your mentor will give you flexible one-on-one time.

Be more transparent about what the job entails, and don't give recruits the impression that they are completely free and independent, they are still being held down by company policies.

Wont' give money back after being laid off

Current Employee - Material Handler in Vonore, TN
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Vonore, TN

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, to share. They are eating up my money.

Cons

Refuses to give money back, when I no longer work there and has no corporate number to call.

Give your number to your customers so that problems with monies owed can be refered to.

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo