MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible - Go to another company, this is not what a career should be

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsTurnover rate is so high - you can get hired easily

ConsToo much focus on commissions and pushing product - no focus on customer

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management courses

Financial Advisor

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Chesterfield, MO

ProsUnlimited potential, you can take days off without needing any approval

ConsIt is set up like a pyramid scheme. You have to pay to work here, anywhere from $300-500 a month. The worst part is everyone gets paid before you. I know one rep that was there made about $3000 the ENTIRE year and only saw $50 of it because the company had their hands in it before they even paid her.

You pay for EVERYTHING, the "salary plus bonus" is a joke and not guaranteed

Extremely high turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't set new people up to fail and stop hiring new people just to steal their warm market

Shocked Mass Mutual Would Ruin Their Name by Not Paying Employees!

Sales Agent (Current Employee) Clifton, NJ

ProsI can't think of any pros

ConsWorked there for 3 months, was charged mega fees for E&O insurance and was not even paid minimum wage! My take home for 3 Months of 40 hour weeks came out to $401.00 for the whole 3 months! That is less than 89-cents per hour! $401.00 was on 12 submitted applications.
    They ruined my life by lying to me that I would double my income by quitting my 70k job and going with them. .
    On top of that, they disputed my unemployment claim, claiming that I was an independent contractor....yet the ad I answered for the job said "employee" 4 times in it, and "independent contractor ZERO times.
    I lost at least $35,000.00 so far by believing their lies! And my family is struggling.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the way you would want your family to be treated in the work force.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shady Recruiting Practices

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsGood compensation if you produce, friendly work environment

ConsWhen they recruit new sales representatives, they give you the impression that as long as you are licensed, they will immediately get you on board to sell their products. My managing associate was slow in beginning the process and made you wait a couple weeks before he could get a list of 200 prospects, and another interview with you. Overall their recruiting is shady, because they do not tell you all of what is required to produce for them, they just tell you "All you need is your license and its all good". They also don't tell you about the semi-mandatory training classes that are completely unpaid and are three times a week. I was only told about the importance of these training classes, after I had gone through the licensing requirements. They also don't tell you that unpaid training is expected for over 1 year, in the interview process the impression is that training is only a few week thing, and from there your mentor will give you flexible one-on-one time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about what the job entails, and don't give recruits the impression that they are completely free and independent, they are still being held down by company policies.

Wont' give money back after being laid off

Material Handler (Current Employee) Vonore, TN

ProsNone, to share. They are eating up my money.

ConsRefuses to give money back, when I no longer work there and has no corporate number to call.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your number to your customers so that problems with monies owed can be refered to.

Nightmare in Enfield

Claim Examiner (Former Employee) Enfield, CT

ProsFree parking, salad bar and a gym

ConsNo room for growth and the compensation was horrible. Two years without a raise due to budget cutbacks. No health insurance to speak of. They switched to a health savings account and people quit just to find jobs with health insurance. They are not interested in talented long term employees. Employees are an "expense" and they make sure you know it. After our department review came out, they came up with an action plan to improve our department. Six months later not one idea had been implemented. I was told in one performance review "be thankful you have a job".

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the middle level managers that are incomptent. They may be cheap but they are costing you good talented employees that resign because they can't take it anymore. Reward your employees with fair raises. And provide health insurance.

Uber conservative, No growth oppertunities...do what your told and don't have an opinion

Training & Documentation Consultant (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

Proslocation (both Enfield and Springfield)
    networking
    experience

Consno growth oppertunities
    benefits get worse every year
    lots of bad managers and senior leaders
    more focus on the bottom line then employee or customer satisfaction

Advice to Senior Managementrefocus on employee satisfaction. Stop cutting corners to save a buck. Too many very talented people have been let go.

It was okay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mount Pleasant, SC

ProsTHe best reason to work at Mass Mutual would be to have more freedom within your field. It was fun.

ConsThe biggest downside I experienced while working at Mass Mutual was the lack of guidance or direction from my sales manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management in regards to leadership, would be to have your sale's managers give more guidance and direction.

A Nightmare on State Street

Programmer (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsGreat pay, flexible hours, decent benefits, good cafeteria, convenient free parking, health club, good medical department. That about does it.

ConsInadequate training, lack of current documentation, clique-ish structure and access to resources, poor control of testing and production environments, significant understaffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as assets, not liabilities. There is a definite lack of structure and procedures need to be clarified and enforced.

Sell Life Insurance your good, if not forget it

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood solid company, been around a long time

ConsHealth Insurance has been a nightmare, Mass changed to Huge Deductables and after meeting our deductable, they cancelled our Cobra Insurance. Guess they really don't want their employees or former employees to use the insurance. Called Mass about issues with their Cobra administrative company and was blown off. If this is how they treat their policy holders when they have a problem, good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your former employees better. Myself, family and friends are still policy holders, but probably not for long.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!