MassMutual Reviews

Reset

Finance Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Newport, RI
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Newport, RI

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No Pros were found. You have to pay to work in this company.

Cons

Too much lies are involved. I was certified for life&health insurance, series 7, and series 66, however, they still want me to only sell an whole life insurance product.

2. Not good

Pros

Good opportunities if self-motivated and outgoing.

Cons

Aggressive marketing practices makes you uncomfortable.

Like being in a cult!

Former Employee - Retirement Education Specialist
    Former Employee - Retirement Education Specialist

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work in the field with clients wasn't a bad gig.

Cons

All they really care about is numbers. Working with retirement plans, and their participants is about so much more, competency, the ability to build trust and instill confidence... Such a cliquey culture of peers, and very poor management. It's sad to say in this modern era that Mass Mutual is still a big ol' sexist boys club. If someone decides they don't like you, even if it's for personal, not professional reasons, look out, it's only a matter of time before they will gang up and run you out of there. The corporate culture of RAH, Mass Mutual, sucks. It was like being at a pep rally, rather than being a working professional.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your 'bad seeds' upper management who get drunk at conferences and behave inappropriately, and weed them out. It's hard to respect a superior who uses homophobic and racial terms that are generally frowned upon.

It killed me to leave, but I was working my tail off towards what ended up being nothing but empty promises.

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

I started out as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Assistant to the GA/Licensing and Contracting Coordinator. Lots of personal growth.

Cons

I moved up in positions, never in salary. There was always another goal to be met before I could get the pay raise I had been working towards. Eventually, I just realized that it would never happen. They strung me along for way too long.

Advice to Management

Pay the staff what they are worth. And don't make promises that you aren't planning on keeping.

Sales with no commission

Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People I worked with were great.

Cons

-sales metrics without commission -mandatory overtime if you need good work/life balance -using technology from the 80s -scheduling pto is non existent

Advice to Management

You are making your employees work hard for base salary and sales metrics with no commission is awful. Hire more people to help lower the ques. That's how you get good customer service ratings. Get all the departments on the same page. Every department is dropping callers into other departments that don't have the customer's account either. It's 2014 and this shouldn't happen.

Not as good as it used to be

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, cafe is ok

Cons

Bad management, inconsistent evaluations, worsening work life balance

Advice to Management

They won't read this anyway but there really aren't all of those work from opportunities, health benefits just ok.

I worked 20 Plus Years at MM. Not as good a company as it used to be. Everyone wanted to work at MM when I started.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only good thing I found these last couple of years is the bank, store, hairdresser etc. Managers were helpful and sincere up until the last 4 years.

Cons

You will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept. This I know first hand. The MMWay is such a waste of time. Every day a 15 minute huddle and every week a 1 hour meeting for standard work. Every week a 2 hour problem solving meeting. Even if you have no problems, they will make up problems. To me, aside from the daily huddle, the rest is just a waste of time. The benefits are terrible. The only thing worth being there was for the vacation time. Perception is Reality. This is the same as when you assume. One on One meetings with manager seem to always go well but when it came down to the performance evaluation it was like you were hit with a brick. You are not informed when you are doing something that is wrong or an error has been made on your part during your one on ones with your manager. This will be brought up during your performance evaluation and at this point you cannot do a thing to fix it.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. I'm only glad that I was able to get out of there with my sanity.

9. Been there, done that

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

There are really no pros that are good enough to mention.

Cons

It is behind the times Why have four of the same software when one could do - is anyone thinking of the expense? Management is overtly good old boys club and ignore their underlings What is with all the meetings?

Advice to Management

Rid yourselves of 3 layers of management MMWay is for the business not IT RSVP needs to move it or lose it

Lies, lies, and more non-truths.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. I would not recommend their financial advisor program to anyone.

Cons

Big promises, they inflate your self of sense-worth. They will make you feel good and tell you that you can get the perfect work-life balance as a financial advisor; they are going to mentor you and help you make six figures. Oh and it gets better too.... they typically prey on just graduated college students who have very few job prospects and are desperate/hard-working. They want to put their efforts somewhere but do not know where. I got sucked into the whole "be a financial advisor" scam from Mass Mutual about March 2013 of last year. I formerly was in auto sales, and education. I was looking to try something new and was referred by my wife to one of her friends who worked for the company. He interviewed me four times saying I gotta make sure this is for you, blah blah blah blah. In hindsight I should have known he was one of the worst snake-oil salesman I have ever met; but it was my wife's friend. They will sponsor you for your life, health, and series 6/63. But everything else you pay for. These fees and study materials can average around 1k or more dollars overall. Pretty hard for a recent college student who now averages 80k+ in student loan debt. The hardest and most discouraging part of this job is after they build you up so much, encourage you strongly to get your licenses.... once you get all that stuff the question than becomes: "now what?" The leads are not provided. So you are expected to go seek out your friends and family to sell life insurance, financial products, and accident/health products as well. This can get pretty awkward as although you might find these parties initially wanting to help you; when you mix business and family/friends together or any type of monetary transaction it can sour things. Mass Mutual doesn't care though. They want numbers and look at you as their new pack mule to sell their products. You do not get paid any kind of weekly compensation so you better produce. Without a lead network to tap into, and be expected to canvass your own network or outside of it to sell you better live at home with Mom or Dad or be on section 8/welfare. Because believe me it can get expensive working for this company. I was probably about 4-5 grand when it was all said and done. They do not help you despite how much your general agent will claim they do.

Advice to Management

The company is very well respected and your products are highly rated. Treat your new financial advisors like any other investment as you are a business. Nurture their talents, pay them some kind of stipend, and get rid of the counterproductive pay structure system where one's financial advisor's general agent gets paid on his own deals/can work on the field. What incentive is your general agent/supervisor going to have to nurture new talent if he can get paid on his work? Completely overhaul your financial advisor program and invest more into your new employees. You are angering and causing disaffection with potentially dynamic, new, and young talent that could revitalize your company. Your loss though and you do not seem to care about it with the way you conduct business.

Financial Services Professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential and flexibility

Cons

No salary or draw, no marketing, no leads, no support, no training

RSS Feed </> Embed