MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good to very bad

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsVery Good company great products good marketing and education

Consmanager was promoted, and new manager was not proactive in getting my business pushed through and issued 4 to 5 meetings on the same cases which were good cases

Advice to Senior Management4 weeks is a long time to get good business issued and paid, I don't blame the company but the agency manager that was assigned to me I cannot speak for others but that was my experience and I was not the first to leave I tried to hang in there, but it was bad

Solid company with strong financial foundation

Knowledge Management Analyst (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsIt provides pretty flexible work schedules include telecommuting/work from home and is understanding in inclement weather. Benefits are better than most companies.

ConsStuck in 20th century manufacturing mentality, too much emphasis on diversity and not unity of purpose. Very siloed culture where teams, groups, or business units are reluctant to share knowledge and information.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and retain the employee of the 21st century, you have to stop seeing yourself as a mutual insurance company and more of a technology driven entity.

A learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMass Mutual of Silicon Valley is a good place to get you feet wet in the sales world. They have a great training program

ConsThey try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old School and Perception Based Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Enfield, CT

ProsThere are some good people and the cafeteria is decent.

ConsTime off policy, compensation, environment, culture. There is no work/life balance. Success is defined by the number of days and hours worked, rather that skill and ability. The MMWay office environment does not offer even the slightest amount of privacy, which makes it difficult to have quiet place to focus on your work. Working from home is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove from vacation, personal days, and sick time to a PTO bank. The current system is old school and encourages employees to call out "sick". Listen to your employees. Morale is low and management is out of touch. The message from the front line is so sanitized by the time it reaches senior management that it no longer reflects reality.

The Land of Oz

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities for hard workers, trying to innovate and transform. Good cafe, benefits and bonus potential

ConsInstead of promoting and rewarding from within, many times they hire externally and pay that person 30% more than the top performer of that unit. Then you find out the external hire can't execute and that top performer needs to mentor the external hire. This happens quite frequently. I understand that you need to attract talent from outside to get fresh ideas, but for the gap in salary for these people to be so large against their peers is disheartening But I know their strategy is that they know people wont leave and they deal with it

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to manage and don't us MMWay as the tool. If you have the right leaders with the right skills, you wouldn't need a fancy program name

Stuck in time -- any innovation is lost

Marketing (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsThe company is very financially stable and doesn't have the same pressures as a public company, which is great not having to worry about the numbers quarter to quarter. Seems like lots of job security - few layoffs compared to public companies.

ConsThe culture is stuck in the 'slow, old, corporate' mindset... very stuffy culture and feel. Any spark of innovation is quickly snuffed out. They have attempted to hire outside innovative thinkers only to be told to essentially 'assimilate' (yes that word was said to me directly). I believe the CEO has only ever worked at MM, so not surprising it hasn't changed. It is no wonder MassMutual was ranked as the company with the highest turnover by salary.com last year -- even beating out silicon valley high tech companies.

It really feels like you're playing on the B or C team. If you are willing to become a lemming then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not willing to listen to new ways of thinking, don't hire folks for that bring that to the company.

Financial Services Representative

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsGood leaders, good company name recognition amongst consumers, good trips provided for those with big sales numbers, good balance between work and outside life.

ConsNo salary, MUST know lots of potential buyers going into the business, no leads given, not enough sales training, sales managers aren't particularly accessible to the people they work with (they're often out on their own meetings trying to make sales).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your representatives leads to call, fix things sooner (this agency went without a General Agent for about 3 months), do more sales training, create a less stuffy and "generic corporate" atmosphere.

Glorified Sales Job

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-No micro managing
    -Not a 8-5 job
    -good training for sales
    -nice office
    -Products being sold have quality
    -company with long history and well known

Cons-Sales position (i.e. lots of cold calling, soliciting, networking, etc...)
    -Can't trust anyone (everyone out for themselves)
    -No compensation (charged E&O insurance plus office fees)
    -Expected to fail (something like 80% or higher turnover for this job)

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support and infrastructure

Tough. This is a FULL Commission sales job.

Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsMake as much $ as you want. You are your own boss.

ConsSh*t home office staff. People there are just stupid and drag a$$ on everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can suck it. They only watch out for who they choose.

Great place to work if you are willing to live off of Commission

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsTraining program
    Co workers were helpful

ConsNo Base Salary
    Commute was tiring

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!