MassMutual Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 29, 2014
3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Rewarding work environment with the flexibility to take on additional responsibilities to build skills (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 16 reviews)

• They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern/Financial Services Professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic! Every member-from the general agent to the compliance officer--are wonderful to work with. There is absolutely no feeling of pressure here (see con). I feel like I'm amongst friends and good acquaintances who are more than happy to guide me through tough processes. My mentor, who is a successful agent, has provided me with indispensable insight for succeeding in the industry. The kind of support you get at this company is priceless. I've also gained a tremendous amount of transferable skill sets and work experience.

Cons

This is a low-pressure environment, which for me, is a con since I thrive under pressure. You receive strictly commission-based pay, which may make it or break it for you. If you're well established with about a year's or two worth of living expenses, then you can make this experience very well worth it. HOWEVER, if you're a brand new financial services professional or advisor, then this job may not be suitable--especially if you're self-supporting.

I would have rated my experience "5 stars" if the position was more welcoming to entry-level candidates, but that's the nature of the beast. Budding financial advisers have a challenging time, but you get that with any company with which you're affiliated. Note that I'm not rating the company itself--I'm rating the position for entry-level candidates.

Bottom-line: Understand what it really means to be paid solely on commission.

I wouldn't change anything about the management structure.

Good company for ambitious people

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a flexible schedule and everything you produce is on you. You truly have to earn it. Training received is very strong. Techniques for referral generation are very effective. There is no limit to how much you can make. You truly get to help people make good financial decisions.

Cons

VERY difficult to get your practice off the ground when starting. Helps to have a network already in place. no salary, so you have to produce in order to receive supplements and bonuses. Not for shy people, you have to be hungry and willing to push your comfort zones.

there is no set management structure and managers come and go jsut like agents. Otherwise they provide good training and sales support. They usually start out as being top producers so they have insight into how they can help.

Great for Macro Financial Planning, Doesn't Pigeon-Hole Clients into Investments Only

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From the outset, I have been most impressed with the quality of people in this organization. The advisors here truly care about their clients and give advice freely. I've never seen that until I came to MassMutual.

Cons

If you aren't ready to run a business and the risks associated with it, don't join.

Keep continuing with the mentorship programs. Have more bonding events for new hires.

Tough. This is a FULL Commission sales job.

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make as much $ as you want. You are your own boss.

Cons

Sh*t home office staff. People there are just stupid and drag a$$ on everything.

Management can suck it. They only watch out for who they choose.

Glorified Sales Job

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-No micro managing
    -Not a 8-5 job
    -good training for sales
    -nice office
    -Products being sold have quality
    -company with long history and well known

Cons

-Sales position (i.e. lots of cold calling, soliciting, networking, etc...)
    -Can't trust anyone (everyone out for themselves)
    -No compensation (charged E&O insurance plus office fees)
    -Expected to fail (something like 80% or higher turnover for this job)

Provide more support and infrastructure

Good people. Flexible work environment. Informative training

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a fun place to work at. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of hard work. However, the people are good here. If you've looked at other Financial Advisor firms, they have a very cut throat culture. Here, people help each other out and like to hang out together. Work hard and play hard. Management does a good job in helping people who need help. When I interviewed I read negative reviews before, but went for it anyways. Based on what I think, is that for people who complained about the training is probably because they weren't working hard. Management would go out of their way to help you if you're willing to put the work in it. I've seen it myself, because I get all the support I need. I strongly stand behind that. I do seem some guys here that don't work that hard, and they probably won't make it. Those will probably be the guys that complain. The guys that I see who make it are very driven and systematic. There's a good chunk of guys that do well. There's guys here who started out of college and struggled the first couple years making little money. And now they make anywhere from over $200k-$1m. These guys motivate me because they told me the key to it is to just stick in through the hard times. I think training is really good here. Their classes are really informative. Their mentorship is a really good learning experience for me. I sucked when I first did it, but got helped out with the coaching. My advice to people who are interviewing for this is that you got to want to make a lot of money to make it in this business. The guys that are structured themselves and are willing to put in the work are the ones that do well. After that you can be like someone here in this office who makes $500k and works 3 days a week. That's what I'm going for.

Cons

This is a tough one to figure out, but I think that because the office is a very entrepreneurial environment, some people take advantage of that. I think with the flexible schedule, some guys here get lazy in putting in what you're doing. I know the culture is set up with this environment. For me, I just stick with what I'm doing and follow the strong players. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys that struggle are really great guys. Nice and helpful. But I think they don't do what they say they'll do. We'll see if they can turn it around.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This industry feels great. I've had the pleasure of experiencing grateful clients. When I interviewed, they told me about how great it feels to be able to help someone's financial life. When I was able to do it myself, I then understood what they meant. To be able to work at a place where I can help people makes my job much more meaningful. As for the company itself, great support and training. They have a really good structure that caters to a flexible lifestyle. The people are really great here too. I feel like I can trust those around me and enjoy ourselves after work too.

Cons

Getting rejected when prospecting. I've gotten somewhat use to people saying no. I realized after several rejections that I should not take it personal. They just may not want me as their Advisor. However, I'm human, and it still stings to have someone say no to me. Unfortunately I had to leave because I had to move to New York

Don't hire people who are looking to work at a big corporate company name like MassMutual. This isn't for people who just want to boost their resume. I think this is really a job for those who want to do this so that they can make a lot of money and own their own business. I really do want to own my own business one day.

Great training program to learn how to start your business

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training program here was great. They taught me not only all the technical training, but how to build an overall plan. My coworkers here were very friendly and helpful. It's really good to be in a place where people hang out with each other and like to help each other out. I feel like it is a great support structure.

Cons

Hardest part about this job is to prospect for clients. I've got a lot better with the training they have here so there is a learning curve to become really good at what you do. It feels good when you get it.

I'd like to see management share this training with more people so that there's more brand awareness.

Financial Services Representative in San Francisco

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training and mentorship
    management really cares
    if you make it, you make it big - unlimited commission possibility

Cons

Very difficult to do well
    No real financial support - income is essentially all commission based; even if you get on the stipend, they are very coy about how easy it is to lose it
    Somewhat though products to sell

Love to work with people who genuinely care.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with care about the work and each other.

Cons

Agents come and go ... there's a high turnover rate.

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo