MassMutual Reviews in Springfield, MA

Updated August 29, 2014
3.1

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Rewarding work environment with the flexibility to take on additional responsibilities to build skills (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 16 reviews)

• They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been treated well while working for MassMutual.

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

four weeks vacation, flex time, work at home options, stable company

Cons

guidance with career paths, culture is responding slowly to change

please continue to advance changes by setting the example

I worked 20 Plus Years at MM. Not as good a company as it used to be. Everyone wanted to work at MM when I started.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only good thing I found these last couple of years is the bank, store, hairdresser etc.

Managers were helpful and sincere up until the last 4 years.

Cons

You will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept. This I know first hand.

The MMWay is such a waste of time. Every day a 15 minute huddle and every week a 1 hour meeting for standard work. Every week a 2 hour problem solving meeting. Even if you have no problems, they will make up problems. To me, aside from the daily huddle, the rest is just a waste of time.

The benefits are terrible. The only thing worth being there was for the vacation time.

Perception is Reality. This is the same as when you assume. One on One meetings with manager seem to always go well but when it came down to the performance evaluation it was like you were hit with a brick. You are not informed when you are doing something that is wrong or an error has been made on your part during your one on ones with your manager. This will be brought up during your performance evaluation and at this point you cannot do a thing to fix it.

I have no advice. I'm only glad that I was able to get out of there with my sanity.

Only good if you are a VP or they want you as one

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Resource managers are great, if you are not on a project, work/life balance can be good

Cons

Promotions are not given, salary increases are very low. Seems like job openings are predetermined, can't move up. New metrics system/daily huddles and low cube farms are horrible. Would you like to sit 7 feet away from someones face and watch them pick it all day?

Interesting place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of good organizational knowledge in the resources who have been there for a while.

Cons

The new flavor of managing 'MMWay' is playing havoc with getting the real work done.

Re-think your purpose of MMWay -- can't fit a square into a round hole.

Excellent Leadership Team, but some middle management DUDs at the corporate office in Springfield

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package; opportunity to experience many different business area functions; Leadership Team with a clear vision of the future and willing to invest to get there; great facilities and employee amenities on campus; pleasant grounds and surroundings; excellent security. Company is positioned well for future growth.

Cons

While the company promotes an open culture of coaching and feedback, some middle management in the company's Center of Excellence is mostly about negative feedback and rarely coaches direct reports on how they can get better in their role. As a mutual company it's less like a smaller private company and more like a Fortune 500 with similar bureaucracy and politics.

Continue with the current strategic direction, you're on the right track.

Actuary - Continuous Learning and Cohesive Culture!

Current Employee - Actuary in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Actuary in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Work with talented, intelligent, and driven colleagues; excellent work/ life balance; continuous support for further exams (CFA, FRM, Etc), after your FSA designation; great opportunities for growth in traditional and non-traditional roles; very supportive in taking opportunities to round out professional experience. Feel supported and greatly respect of each other. Attrition within Actuarial is very low which speaks loudly to overall satisfaction of an Actuary at MassMutual.

Cons

Lean six sigma process moving across MM, but, as we go through problem solving sessions, use some of the time as a team to celebrate success in change managment that we have done as a team...focus on the positives versus what we are doing wrong.

Promote ONE MASSMUTUAL in doing more events that bring the locations together so we can network with others in other business lines and celebrate successes. Excellent ELT that makes themselves approachable! Great company, as the financial success over the last few years highlights.

Great Company - Excellent Leadership Team - Cares About Employees - Fantastic Trajectory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart and caring people, generally friendly and helpful co-workers, good benefits, consistently strong results, strategic and forward-looking leaders, highly ethical and values based, gives to the community. Excellent employee services including on-site credit union, cafeteria, fitness center, employee store, dry-cleaner/shoe repair/barber-beauty salon, etc. Beautifully redone common area. On-site, free parking. Competitive pay. Collaborative culture.

Cons

Springfield location is not the best - no easy way to get there from the highway. Enfield location is right off the highway, though. Implementing lean methodology across company, and while this makes sense in production areas, it's torturous in knowledge-based areas. While lean tools can be helpful, when over-relied on they slow things down rather than make things better. Also, the move to open seating is ridiculous. Noise is distracting and intrusive and there is no privacy. The intent is to foster collaboration, but people just put on headphones so that they can concentrate. Collaborative culture can slow down decision making at times.

Be more flexible about lean. Re-think the open seating concept. Learn and use the tools, but don't be a slave to the methodology.

Solid company with strong financial foundation

Current Employee - Knowledge Management Analyst in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Knowledge Management Analyst in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It provides pretty flexible work schedules include telecommuting/work from home and is understanding in inclement weather. Benefits are better than most companies.

Cons

Stuck in 20th century manufacturing mentality, too much emphasis on diversity and not unity of purpose. Very siloed culture where teams, groups, or business units are reluctant to share knowledge and information.

To attract and retain the employee of the 21st century, you have to stop seeing yourself as a mutual insurance company and more of a technology driven entity.

Stuck in time -- any innovation is lost

Former Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is very financially stable and doesn't have the same pressures as a public company, which is great not having to worry about the numbers quarter to quarter. Seems like lots of job security - few layoffs compared to public companies.

Cons

The culture is stuck in the 'slow, old, corporate' mindset... very stuffy culture and feel. Any spark of innovation is quickly snuffed out. They have attempted to hire outside innovative thinkers only to be told to essentially 'assimilate' (yes that word was said to me directly). I believe the CEO has only ever worked at MM, so not surprising it hasn't changed. It is no wonder MassMutual was ranked as the company with the highest turnover by salary.com last year -- even beating out silicon valley high tech companies.

It really feels like you're playing on the B or C team. If you are willing to become a lemming then this is the place for you.

If you're not willing to listen to new ways of thinking, don't hire folks for that bring that to the company.

Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good and I like that it is a mutual company where the focus is more on long term results rather than the next quarter.

Cons

Management is trying to change the culture to make associates more accountable and there have been ongoing staff reductions over the past few years. Not entirely a bad thing.

Encourage more openness and opposing viewpoints. There is too much brown nosing because associates believe that behavior is rewarded. Also, I believe the work from home privilege is being abused in many cases.

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo