MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews in Springfield, MA

Updated Jun 13, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment(in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients(in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary(in 9 reviews)

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been treated well while working for MassMutual.

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

Prosfour weeks vacation, flex time, work at home options, stable company

Consguidance with career paths, culture is responding slowly to change

Advice to Senior Managementplease continue to advance changes by setting the example

Interesting place to work.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsLots of good organizational knowledge in the resources who have been there for a while.

ConsThe new flavor of managing 'MMWay' is playing havoc with getting the real work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think your purpose of MMWay -- can't fit a square into a round hole.

Excellent Leadership Team, but some middle management DUDs at the corporate office in Springfield

Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsExcellent benefits package; opportunity to experience many different business area functions; Leadership Team with a clear vision of the future and willing to invest to get there; great facilities and employee amenities on campus; pleasant grounds and surroundings; excellent security. Company is positioned well for future growth.

ConsWhile the company promotes an open culture of coaching and feedback, some middle management in the company's Center of Excellence is mostly about negative feedback and rarely coaches direct reports on how they can get better in their role. As a mutual company it's less like a smaller private company and more like a Fortune 500 with similar bureaucracy and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the current strategic direction, you're on the right track.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Actuary - Continuous Learning and Cohesive Culture!

Actuary (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsWork with talented, intelligent, and driven colleagues; excellent work/ life balance; continuous support for further exams (CFA, FRM, Etc), after your FSA designation; great opportunities for growth in traditional and non-traditional roles; very supportive in taking opportunities to round out professional experience. Feel supported and greatly respect of each other. Attrition within Actuarial is very low which speaks loudly to overall satisfaction of an Actuary at MassMutual.

ConsLean six sigma process moving across MM, but, as we go through problem solving sessions, use some of the time as a team to celebrate success in change managment that we have done as a team...focus on the positives versus what we are doing wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote ONE MASSMUTUAL in doing more events that bring the locations together so we can network with others in other business lines and celebrate successes. Excellent ELT that makes themselves approachable! Great company, as the financial success over the last few years highlights.

Great Company - Excellent Leadership Team - Cares About Employees - Fantastic Trajectory

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsSmart and caring people, generally friendly and helpful co-workers, good benefits, consistently strong results, strategic and forward-looking leaders, highly ethical and values based, gives to the community. Excellent employee services including on-site credit union, cafeteria, fitness center, employee store, dry-cleaner/shoe repair/barber-beauty salon, etc. Beautifully redone common area. On-site, free parking. Competitive pay. Collaborative culture.

ConsSpringfield location is not the best - no easy way to get there from the highway. Enfield location is right off the highway, though. Implementing lean methodology across company, and while this makes sense in production areas, it's torturous in knowledge-based areas. While lean tools can be helpful, when over-relied on they slow things down rather than make things better. Also, the move to open seating is ridiculous. Noise is distracting and intrusive and there is no privacy. The intent is to foster collaboration, but people just put on headphones so that they can concentrate. Collaborative culture can slow down decision making at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about lean. Re-think the open seating concept. Learn and use the tools, but don't be a slave to the methodology.

Solid company with strong financial foundation

Knowledge Management Analyst (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsIt provides pretty flexible work schedules include telecommuting/work from home and is understanding in inclement weather. Benefits are better than most companies.

ConsStuck in 20th century manufacturing mentality, too much emphasis on diversity and not unity of purpose. Very siloed culture where teams, groups, or business units are reluctant to share knowledge and information.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and retain the employee of the 21st century, you have to stop seeing yourself as a mutual insurance company and more of a technology driven entity.

Stuck in time -- any innovation is lost

Marketing (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsThe company is very financially stable and doesn't have the same pressures as a public company, which is great not having to worry about the numbers quarter to quarter. Seems like lots of job security - few layoffs compared to public companies.

ConsThe culture is stuck in the 'slow, old, corporate' mindset... very stuffy culture and feel. Any spark of innovation is quickly snuffed out. They have attempted to hire outside innovative thinkers only to be told to essentially 'assimilate' (yes that word was said to me directly). I believe the CEO has only ever worked at MM, so not surprising it hasn't changed. It is no wonder MassMutual was ranked as the company with the highest turnover by salary.com last year -- even beating out silicon valley high tech companies.

It really feels like you're playing on the B or C team. If you are willing to become a lemming then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not willing to listen to new ways of thinking, don't hire folks for that bring that to the company.

Overall, a good place to work

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsThe benefits are very good and I like that it is a mutual company where the focus is more on long term results rather than the next quarter.

ConsManagement is trying to change the culture to make associates more accountable and there have been ongoing staff reductions over the past few years. Not entirely a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more openness and opposing viewpoints. There is too much brown nosing because associates believe that behavior is rewarded. Also, I believe the work from home privilege is being abused in many cases.

Audit Consultant

Audit Consultant (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsRelaxed Environment, Great Benefits and Health Care. Opportunity to grow within the company.

ConsIf you want to learn more and be cutting edge you won't like environment. Top performers are not recognized anymore than sub par performers have to bite your tongue and ignore it.

Director

Director (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsIntegrity, superior products and good distribution strategy

ConsStill old school and good old boy network in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn better coaching skills and team concepts.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!