Massachusetts General Hospital Reviews

• Boston, MA
4.0
Massachusetts General Hospital President and Trustee Peter L. Slavin, MD
Peter L. Slavin, MD

1. I had a great experience - everyone was very helpful for me and allowed me to clarify my career goals.

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great learning environment.

Cons

No real cons at this position.

I think more face time with some "higher ups" would be great.

2. Good stepping stone if on the academic track. Get out if you're going to industry.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard working people and many, many, postdocs, so there there are a lot of interesting discussions to be had and connections to be made. Cafeterias have good food, but not great. Several gyms nearby on either campus site. Great health care package.

Cons

The many research labs are sprinkled about the main hospital and the offsite MGH locations. I worked at the Navy yard, 149 building. The research facility is pretty big, but there is surprisingly little space for labs. A lot of cubicles in a cramped space. The research labs in our group were incredibly small, and by that I mean: If you wanted a 2x2 ft empty space to do an experiment, you'd have to reserve the space and argue with 3+ people.

Salary was also below average for Cambridge/Boston postdocs, but that was more or less dependent on your lab.

I recommend googling the MIT or Harvard Medical School salary schedules based on years of experience before accepting your offer.

I can only speak for the lab I worked at. Although being quite well known, the lab culture was pretty boring. Not much talking and clearly no room for upward mobility. Several postdocs have been there for 4-5 years in the same position, some went on to "instructor" level for some more years which is basically a glorified postdoc.

New patient coordinator

Former Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital

Pros

Great benefits package,discounts to a lot of places. Number one hospital in the world.

Cons

A lot of managers have their "favorite" employees and only those employees get higher reviews, secretaries having affairs with doctors. Over worked and under paid.when you leave MGH will treat you like you never existed and not give you a good reference.

Try to treat everyone the same and stop with your favorite employees treatment. We all work hard and deserve to be treated equal! Stop over working people and under paying them!

5. Great experience

Former Contractor - Patient Observer in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Patient Observer in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great hospital to work and to learn New skills. The staff is very professional and I enjoy working with them. Great opportunities to work with extraordinary patients.

Cons

Per diem job with no benefit. No advance possibilities for this position. Long hours sitting when one on one situation and can be negative for your health.

Keep up the good work.

If you're a fan of slavery I guess it's OK.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital

Pros

Public transport nearby
    Whole foods
    I need twenty words in this section and I can't think of any more pros. Harvard Gardens does a good burger?

Cons

Dismal salaries. Your rent increases faster than your salary.
    Poor mentorship
    Treated like a slave
    Overinflated egos that need stroking
    Managers aren't trained to manage.
    No sensitivity in personal situations
    Profit driven

Great benefits, but there's no growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good.
    Commute is not bad.
    Most people are friendly.
    Most patients are great to work with.

Cons

No growth for certain positions
    Don't expect bonus or a raise
    Department is very important, some are good/ some not so good
    Poor management
    The hiring process is slow/ company is too big

8. Great benefits, but there's no growth.

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Benefits are good.
    Commute is not bad.
    Most people are friendly.
    Most patients are great to work with.

Cons

No growth for certain positions
    Don't expect bonus or a raise
    Department is very important, some are good/ some not so good
    Poor management
    The hiring process is slow/ company is too big

Police and Security

Current Employee - Security Officer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Boston, MA

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. You can make a surprising amount of money in a field known for terrible pay, especially after a couple years.

If you are interested in opportunities in law enforcement later on, you may patiently get your feet wet here. Many have gone on to better things - police jobs, military, EMS, fire departments, employment within the hospital elsewhere, etc.

If you are in school or balancing a second job, there is flexibility across the shifts and generally managers will help you to make it work.

There is good money to be made via OT, details, etc.

There are times, particularly when starting out, that the job can be fun and working alongside a good shift can be enjoyable.

Also, if you prove you can do the job, they will take you back if you leave and need to come back.

Cons

The department is not a full fledged police agency, and management is steering more towards "security" then "policing". This leads to mixed expectations on all sides. Of you are a sworn officer with police powers, expect to be in sticky situations without any guidance. Arrests are frowned upon but letting someone slip by can also result in a write-up. Discretion is key.

It gets old fast, too. You will deal with the same range of issues and perform the same tasks daily but there is little room for advancement as the organization is somewhat flat. Many officers get frustrated with the customer service oriented approach and the lack of management support when things do go wrong. Using force is sadly sometimes necessary but always ends up being controversial.

Access control and other more mundane tasks take up a lot of time. It's part of the job, but a smarter plan for securing doors/lobbies during off hours would minimize this.

It's possible to have a career here if management likes you and if you can last for the requisite ten years that will leave you as an un-fireable department fixture, but the lifers are bitter, unmotivated and often drag down the younger officers. Also, the main campus officers are held to a far higher standard then those at MGH satellite locations. It's insulting that they get paid the same.

Cut some of the dead weight - get rid of lazy officers and useless project managers. Invest in more training and decide whether or not the police side of the department is or is not a priority. Either everyone should attend the academy and be sworn or no one should. Rotate satellite officers into the fray - they should earn their keep doing real work. Don't penalize officers for making arrests and using force unless there is obvious abuse. Upgrade the officer safety initiatives - there should be metal detectors given some of what comes through those doors.

10. Great team atmosphere

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital

Pros

Interesting people everyday workload always changing

Cons

Sometimes Bring spread too thin

Pay attention to work flow and plan accorDingly

Low morale. Used to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Assistant III in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant III in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility with work hours. Access to good healthcare.

Cons

Low pay, low morale in the last couple years. Employees used to receive occasion bonuses, but now the only people receiving yearly bonuses are high paid executives, management, attorneys and physicians. Physicians receive many incentive bonuses while staff only receive a 2 percent annual raise. Hourly employees required to take vacation time (or no pay if they have no vacation time ) when there is a state of emergency due to snow and the department is closed, yet physicians and management get paid. Human resources does very little to improve morale. MGH used to be a wonderful place to work, but their focus in the last couple years has been their revenue and not their employees.

Work to improve morale within the hospital and provide incentives for hourly staff and not just physicians and management. There are too many managers.

Massachusetts General Hospital Photos