Massachusetts General Hospital

Massachusetts General Hospital Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Massachusetts General Hospital President and Trustee Peter L. Slavin

Peter L. Slavin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is promoted, but you are treated like a small fish in a big pond (in 8 reviews)

• GREAT experience, learned tons and great benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone wants to work here, so be prepared for long hours, big egos, and an enormous amount of red tape (in 6 reviews)

• As with other Harvard (and other academic) institutions, the pay isn't great, especially given the cost of living (I made (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood research environment and networking. Benefits are excellent.

ConsSalary is ok. Its a big place.

Fantastic workplace with great benefits and a challenging environment.

Operations Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsConstantly challenging and always fast paced. A welcoming environment that never got old. The scale and quality of work being done is astonishing.

ConsMediocre experience with the HR department. It is very large and in some cases that is a detriment. Office culture is of course patient oriented which can sometimes throw off the work life balance. Can be very stressful on the more active floors of the hospital but this comes with the territory.

Best place to work

Senior Clinical Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHighly challenging and fast paced environment. Highly motivated and smart people. Great benefits

ConsBelow average salary and no career guidance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work with opportunities for growth

RN In Emergency Department (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery Nurse Friendly, great pay, fast paced, always new learning opportunities

ConsExtremely busy, hard work, but rewarding

Good teammates but pathetic middle managers and bureaucratic behaviors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI would say you can find good work life balance

ConsPathetic Technology (still form 1995), Toe the line of your boss, no incentive in being innovative

Advice to Senior ManagementThe thinking from 50's has to change in the org. Non performers are incentivized just because they don't challenge the norms.

As a whole working for one of the best US hospitals is a rewarding experience

Registration Coordinator (Current Employee) Medford, MA

ProsThere are many benefits and perks for employees. Great training people start this position coming from many different backgrounds and we all are able to be experts in this department by the end of training. Recognition for consistently meeting criteria. Monthly activities to build community within the department.

ConsAttendence policy is difficult to adhere by when you have kids or you have certain issues that may come up. Policy interefers with otherwise great employees being able to shine and move up within the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementReform certain policies to let the staff know that you value them as individuals. Look at each person and their personal struggles instead of setting everyone up for failure. We all feel very replaceable and that can't be good for morale. Having a high turn around can't be good for reaching your productivity goals.

ideal place to do research

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBest research hospital in the world

ConsLot of admin work to get on the payroll

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Research scholar

Clinical Research Coordinator II (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood patient care, clean, doctors were well behaved, good Research hospital, good teaching hospital

ConsWas unpaid, no benefit, no health insurance, did not keep promise, Self centered & politics

Advice to Senior Managementtraining, grand rounds were good

Excellent place for experienced administrators and those starting out alike

Administrative Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsExposure to various components of healthcare - from patients, to training doctors, to research, operations, developments, events, etc. People with diverse backgrounds, education and experinces can find work here.

ConsBudgets are often tight and departments are potentially understaffed, so the work requires people to function at a very high level and take on a lot of responsibilities. This is not a con in itself (the second part) but may not be doable for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to those who perform well and try to mentor them up/offer opportunities for growth or they would leave. The annual merit increase year after year is not is not good enough for those who go above and beyond.

Good reputation, but sub-par wages

Research Technician (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsReputation, cutting edge research, resources

Conswages, treatment of employees, management

Worked for Massachusetts General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!