Massachusetts General Hospital

Massachusetts General Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Massachusetts General Hospital President and Trustee Peter L. Slavin

Peter L. Slavin

Pros
  • GREAT experience, learned tons and great benefits(in 16 reviews)

• Work-life balance is promoted, but you are treated like a small fish in a big pond(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone wants to work here, so be prepared for long hours, big egos, and an enormous amount of red tape(in 6 reviews)

• As with other Harvard (and other academic) institutions, the pay isn't great, especially given the cost of living (I made(in 3 reviews)

A great environment to work, learn, and collaborate in cutting edge research. One of the best hospitals in the world.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Unprecedented resources, facilities, and faculty
    - Weekly seminars on a wide scope of research topics
    - Good benefits package
    - Dedicated office for career development

Cons- Poorly organized campus map makes it difficult to find classrooms in other buildings
    - Pricy neighborhood and inconsistent transportation options

This is by far the best place I've ever worked. The culture is to help patients first, period. People here really care.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe benefits are great - 403B (not matching), lots of vacation time and they put money into a bank for extended sick leave for you (on top of offering short term and long term disability) - I had an unexpected illness and needed to be out for 2 weeks. I only had to take 1 week of my vacation time, the rest was ESL. I didn't have to do anything to get the ESL other than approval by my manager. I now have 300 hours of ESL - no other place offers this. The salaries are very good for a hospital too. You can get up to a 3% raise and also a 'merit' raise on top of that. They also give out annual bonuses when they can at holiday time. But the best thing about this place is the culture - I know some people think MGH has an attitude but everyone I know here just really cares about doing the best job possible, to help patients. The focus is really on that. People work really hard but it's satisfying work. Police and Security are the best - they will always escort you to your car if you ask. I once had a friend who had trouble with an ex stalking her here and the Chief of Police at MGH met with me personally to discuss how to keep her safe. Now that's service!

Cons403B does not employer match. You don't get Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day off, but you do get Columbus Day off. Parking is not really accessible at the main campus. Sometimes due to the size of MGH, there is too much bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes they overwork their employees in the lower rungs because they can. They shouldn't.

Good Start in Health Field no mater what the career path your choose.

Materials Management (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat work benefits
    Professional working atmosphere
    Good pay rate
    Room to grow

Conslimited jobs
    Experience required for most positions
    Tight Parking

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the Best worker you can and people will recognize and credit you!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great hospital for experience, but compensation is lacking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe experience of working at MGH alone is amazing. Top doctors, overall sense of pride in the organization, and my coworkers were some of the best people I've ever worked with in my career experience. The benefits are good, and the T is right across the street. Much better access transit wise than working in Longwood in my opinion. This was a great place to start my career in healthcare.

ConsThe pay was abysmal, and at times, it seemed like there was favoritism in my department. There was also a little too much drama from time to time among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously look at the pay rate for employees compared to other hospitals.

Long Hours, but good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe atmosphere at the research building was incredible. Everyone is dedicated to advancing knowledge and there are plenty of resources shared between labs to get a significant amount of work done.

ConsThe work week can easily extend into the weekend. The "politics" of science may be more present here then at other institutions. Labs sometimes feel disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on science rather than trying to get ahead of other labs.

Great Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, friendly work environment

Conssome departments management do not listen or treat employee fairly

Advice to Senior Managementnone

patient care observer

Pataiet Observer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prostop hospital in the country

Consget care at MGH working there in too much

Amazing Hospital, Poor Oversight

Medical Imaging Technologist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou will work with the greatest Doctors in the United States.
    You will learn a lot, about everything. You experience gained will be immense.
    They have a great cafeteria and very good benefits for employees (pension, savings, etc)
    The Doctors and Nurses you work with are usually very friendly and everyone works as a team. There is zero tolerance for abuse of other workers.

ConsHuman Resources is where MGH falls apart. There is little oversight over what each manager does in each department, giving them free reign to make their own rules for employees. Many departments benefit from this . . . but other departments suffer. I was in a department where a manager definitely had too much power, and ruined a great job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck up on your HR department and your managers. Do not let people get hungry with power. Just because a department is healthy with numbers, doesn't mean morale is good. Our department was small and we lost 4 people in 1 year. Take into account how much that will cost you in the long run, and how losing talent forces you to take 2 steps back in the progress you could have made with a healthier stronger team.

No caring

ProsGood Hospital, great research. Exelent enviorment for medical research in all areas. Lots of experts.

ConsManagement has no clue about research and does not care at all

Advice to Senior ManagementCare

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Transition pains are hurting everyone.

ProsGood, appreciative staff.
    Some best in class practices.
    Great Networking Potential.
    Clean Facilities and decent coworkers.

ConsManagement has lost sight of the overall strategic direction.
    You will be chastised for accomplishing your tasks due to conflicting priorities between the departments.
    Major focus on the negative from management. Upper management encourages the outlook to keep salaries low.
    Employees aren't respected by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs a complete overhaul to create an environment where the employees want to go the extra mile. One of the problems is that management will not take any advise at this time.

Worked for Massachusetts General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!