Massachusetts General Hospital

Updated October 16, 2014
4.0

Massachusetts General Hospital President and Trustee Peter L. Slavin
Peter L. Slavin

Pros
  • GREAT experience, learned tons and great benefits (in 17 reviews)

• Work-life balance is promoted, but you are treated like a small fish in a big pond (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Might have to work long hours if you are in the research side (in 6 reviews)

• As with other Harvard (and other academic) institutions, the pay isn't great, especially given the cost of living (I made (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

intern

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity for applying engineering concepts into health care area, and to develop proper solutions for health care problems.

Cons

compensation was fair, but considering how expensive living in Boston, MA; it could have been better. for a researcher, there is no work-life balance in general.

Man's Greatest Hospital

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best place to work in healthcare setting

Cons

busy practice so need high degree of patience

One of the best hospitals to work for

Former Employee - Instructor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well managed. Efficient. Highly skilled and collaborative environment.

Cons

Low pay. Very competitive and at times highly stressful.

Try to understand the pressures of grant writing physician scientists

benefits are great, yet a bit expensive. Pay a bit lower than other hospitals in the area

Current Employee - Patient Access Coordinator II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Patient Access Coordinator II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great but also a bit expensive but the hospital gives you a credit to help pay for the health insurance

Cons

feel that the pay ais a bit lower than other hospitals

Great reputation, staff satisfaction is fairly low. We work long days and are very, very busy.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse- Operating Room in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse- Operating Room in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We work with cutting edge surgeons, performing cutting edge surgeries for patients that travel from all over the country to be cared for. The staff is young, which makes for a dynamic, fun team. On another note, there is very little call and great hours.

Cons

The pay for nurses is one of the lowest in the city, the hours are long, and the floors in the old part of the hospital/ORs are straight cement, so my feet are always killing me! Aside from that, the management in most pods are great.

Intern

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital

Pros

Gained experience observing engineers and technicians during meetings and discussions

Cons

few hours, little pay, and the only tasks I was asked to perform were administration/secretarial related.

Great experience for entry level administrative professionals! But poor pay!!!

Former Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good co-workers
    -Discounted movie passes and museums (which I wouldn't bother because most museums are free if you have a Boston Public Library card)
    -Flexible working schedule
    -Free training classes offered through Partners
    -Great on-the-job training
    -Great place to get your foot in the door to open other opportunities
    -Can't speak for all departments. But my manager and trainers are the greatest people you will ever meet. Very kind and understanding people who advocate their employees to be the best that they can be and not settle for anything less.

Cons

- Pay-scale in this hospital is horrendous! MGH is one of the world's greatest research institution, but the word "cheap" is an understatement! Salaries are NOT COMPETITIVE with similar hospitals or even sister hospitals in the area! It doesn't matter if you applied for an entry level position and carry a BA/BS in hand, they will pay you the salary of someone with a HS diploma. Beyond sad and inexcusable...

- Benefits is mediocre at best. Unlike it's sister hospital BWH, MGH does not offer free health insurance or short term disability which is truly disappointing for working men and women with young families.

- MGH T pass is 30% off. BWH and every other hospital in city: 50% off

End Note: I truly believe that the hire-ups embrace the ideology that working for MGH is a privilege so pay should be irrelevant as you are easily replaceable.

Please compensate people realistically!!!!

Don't hire us folks with the BA/BS/MED/MA/MBA degrees and EXPECT us to accept the COMMUNITY COLLEGE compensation package! Not cool!

With lots of resources for research

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA

Pros

Ideal place to conduct translational research, relatively easy to find experts for collaboration. Lots of resources for research and career development. Good benefits.

Cons

Very competitive in such big organization, difficult to stand out in a short term

provide more spaces for research lab

It was a fantastic workplace where patient care was emphasized to everyone from the parking attendants to the physicians

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hospital is a city unto itself, with many different people coming together to make this function. The people working there longterm (decades) seemed very happy to still be part of this hospital system. The compensation was fair, and the location (near Beacon Hill and close to downtown) is also unbeatable.

Cons

As with any large institution, there's quite a bit of internal competition. Also, they have a campus in Charlestown which I worked at part time and the location can make the commute difficult for some.

This is the same (generic) advice I'd give to management anywhere: be more aware of who's actually contributing and who is not. Office/lab politics have the potential to trump actual accomplishments.

Large community, many opportunities

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital part-time

Pros

There were always many different opportunities to get involved. Daily emails allowed employees to stay in the loop of hospital news. There were opportunities to join research groups, fundraisers, and contests that took place throughout the hospital and neighboring communities.

Cons

Communication could have been better.

Communication needs to be improved between supervisors and employees.

Massachusetts General Hospital Photos