Massachusetts General Hospital

Massachusetts General Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Massachusetts General Hospital President and Trustee Peter L. Slavin

Peter L. Slavin

Pros
  • GREAT experience, learned tons and great benefits(in 16 reviews)

• Work-life balance is promoted, but you are treated like a small fish in a big pond(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone wants to work here, so be prepared for long hours, big egos, and an enormous amount of red tape(in 6 reviews)

• As with other Harvard (and other academic) institutions, the pay isn't great, especially given the cost of living (I made(in 3 reviews)

Fantastic workplace with great benefits and a challenging environment.

Operations Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsConstantly challenging and always fast paced. A welcoming environment that never got old. The scale and quality of work being done is astonishing.

ConsMediocre experience with the HR department. It is very large and in some cases that is a detriment. Office culture is of course patient oriented which can sometimes throw off the work life balance. Can be very stressful on the more active floors of the hospital but this comes with the territory.

Best place to work

Senior Clinical Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHighly challenging and fast paced environment. Highly motivated and smart people. Great benefits

ConsBelow average salary and no career guidance.

Excellent place to work with opportunities for growth

RN In Emergency Department (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery Nurse Friendly, great pay, fast paced, always new learning opportunities

ConsExtremely busy, hard work, but rewarding

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Temp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat name recognition, a full slate of resources at your disposal.

ConsClique driven. Difficult for temps to feel like part of the team.

Great people, wonderful organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits and transit options with the red line station across the street are great! The people are friendly, and there's a culture of excellence. My department allowed us to swap shifts, so I didn't have to use much time off ever.

ConsThe pay was abysmal for all jobs, and they knew they could get away with it because of their reputation. Some of the clinicians thought they were gods and could treat everyone however they wanted. They really distinguished between clinical and admin/management staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. There's plenty of money to go around. Teach respect to clinicians.

As a whole working for one of the best US hospitals is a rewarding experience

Registration Coordinator (Current Employee) Medford, MA

ProsThere are many benefits and perks for employees. Great training people start this position coming from many different backgrounds and we all are able to be experts in this department by the end of training. Recognition for consistently meeting criteria. Monthly activities to build community within the department.

ConsAttendence policy is difficult to adhere by when you have kids or you have certain issues that may come up. Policy interefers with otherwise great employees being able to shine and move up within the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementReform certain policies to let the staff know that you value them as individuals. Look at each person and their personal struggles instead of setting everyone up for failure. We all feel very replaceable and that can't be good for morale. Having a high turn around can't be good for reaching your productivity goals.

I loved working for MGH

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff is amazing and it's like a big family. The work is meaningful and the management is excellent.

ConsNot much room for advancement in the administrative side.

ideal place to do research

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBest research hospital in the world

ConsLot of admin work to get on the payroll

Advice to Senior Managementnone

HIV Research Intern

ProsSurrounded by motivated, driven individuals

ConsThe job got boring at times.

Research scholar

Clinical Research Coordinator II (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood patient care, clean, doctors were well behaved, good Research hospital, good teaching hospital

ConsWas unpaid, no benefit, no health insurance, did not keep promise, Self centered & politics

Advice to Senior Managementtraining, grand rounds were good

Worked for Massachusetts General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!