Massachusetts General Hospital

Updated August 28, 2014

4.0

Massachusetts General Hospital President and Trustee Peter L. Slavin
Peter L. Slavin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is promoted, but you are treated like a small fish in a big pond (in 8 reviews)

• GREAT experience, learned tons and great benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone wants to work here, so be prepared for long hours, big egos, and an enormous amount of red tape (in 6 reviews)

• As with other Harvard (and other academic) institutions, the pay isn't great, especially given the cost of living (I made (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Research Technician II  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Technician II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the research technicians are young graduates which creates a good foundation for collaboration in the lab.

Cons

Research Technicians are only paid about the cost of living. Its difficult to pay to live in Boston and pay down student loans.

Great job, OK salary

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Working at a top 5 U.S. hospital allows for opportunities to work in cutting edge research with industry leaders. Working downtown and work/life benefits are also huge pros.

Cons

Salary is extremely low, mostly as a result of low funding and budget allowances.

top notch

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MGH sets the bar high for patient care, research and education. Excellence is part of the culture. working in such an environment polishes skills.

Cons

not a lot of options for job sharing or flex time. also, parking is limited and expensive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MGH

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital

Pros

Amazing research environment, cutting-edge treatment, co-workers are generally highly intelligent and easy to work with

Cons

Highly Bureaucratic, slow-moving change.

MGH truly stands as one of the best hospitals for a reason.

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Support for Employees
    - Positive Environment
    - Forward-Thinking

Cons

There are really no cons to working here. If you are not a person who strives to perform at a top level, this may not be the place for you. However, the culture here does not deter learning on the job.

N/A

Great place, top notch science.... post-doc salaries low and not benefits

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work in a interdisciplinary environment, doing state of the art science.

Cons

For postdoctoral fellow have almost no benefits. Only a discount on your health insurance and subway pass.
    Vacations-including personal days and sick days- are used or loose it. They are usually 15 - 20 day a year.

Questionable Ethics and Active Subjugation

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

Pros

Great health benefits. There are lots of opportunities to learn in the form of seminars, grand rounds, and corporate programs. The employee resources department seems to be supportive of employee concerns.

Cons

This is highly dependent on your department and group, so take my comments with a grain of salt. My experience was not positive. The director of our research group, some of the senior members, and even junior faculty members cultured an environment of dishonesty when it came to publications and idea ownership. Active subjugation of group members was common. There were also instances of junior faculty talking out of both sides of their mouth, undermining credibility of junior group members. All said, if you are considering a position at MGH/Harvard just listen to your intuition after visiting and interviewing. The MGH/Harvard name is big in the field, and I ended up basing my decision on that. I wish I hadn't.

Get rid of people that have significant complaints from a variety of sources leveled against them, even if those people are currently well funded. Despite the money they are bringing in, you may end up paying a price that outweighs the current value.

Great experience

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

MGH is the type of place where you can get a lot out of the experience if you put in the effort. Senior researchers are often open to giving side research projects for those considering the PhD or MD as long as the paid job duties are completed on time.

Cons

This is not completely a con and I am sure it is not true for all cases, but unless you have some type of doctorate, you will not be a central part of what makes MGH special (PhD or MD -driven research!). At that point, it seems like it is just another big company/hospital where you sometimes run into nobel prize winners.

Awesome hospital to work at

Former Employee - Research Fellow  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Top-ranked in research. Meritocratic. Great location in downtown Boston.

Cons

Admin procedures can be slow and bureaucratic.

Great learning experience for an intern

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital as an intern

Pros

Surrounded by dedicated, knowledgeable colleagues, it is a wonderful place to learn.

Cons

The environment can be intense at times, especially for an intern. Because it is such a large hospital, it can be intimidating and difficult to learn the systems and how to navigate the hospital.

Worked for Massachusetts General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!