Massage Envy

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Crisalli

Pros:
  • "Discount services; fun employees; flexible schedule"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Murad product discount of 40% and discounted massages"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "You could me preforming 7 or more massage back to back without a break"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No room for advancement, constant drama, poor management"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was a full-time massage therapist there for two and a half years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of good hands-on experience for those who are just starting out (builds up your strength, improves time management, and on the job learning on clients with diverse body types, issues, and injuries). Flexible schedules, pay and tips are decent, and most of the rooms are large (at least, where I worked).

ConsYou are expected to help sell monthly memberships which is not an ingrained skill in most massage therapists. Management sees you as a brand and a product rather than a healer. Sometimes had to spend all day switching rooms after each massage which is not conducive to relaxation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess emphasis on the quantity of services and products you sell and more emphasis on the quality. If the quality is good, the quantity will take care of itself. Of course, management won't take this advice because, as their employees burn out, they can be replaced by new employees.

Front desk

Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe hourly pay+commission is good if you are passionate about selling. Flexible hours. You get to build relationships with the clients.

ConsA lot of the massage therapists were extremely unprofessional. Many of them were fresh out of school and they wouldn't show up for shifts, always want to leave early...etc. which put the front desk in very stressful situations.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBonuses
    Compensation
    Meeting new people
    Training
    Works with school

ConsAlways have to make quota
    Compensation is ok depending if you make your bonuses
    Bonus structure changes freqently
    People are ok depending where you work

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Up in the air

Esthetician (Current Employee)

ProsTHe schedule is flexible and they dont really care if you work for another company as long as it is not in direct competition with them.

ConsThe pay is misleading. They tell you when offering the job that you can make between 700-900 a week but that is only if you do 30 hours with 25 facials a week which is when you get the 14 dollars an hour plus commission. Otherwise, you get a measely 7.25 an hour plus commission. an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a second job or some other way to make money to fall back on.

I had a good experience as a regional manager and learned a business model I had never seen before.

ProsSchedule was mine to make. The company knew who they were trying to be and there was opportunity to for franchisees to make a significant amount of money if they had the initial capital to set it up.

ConsManaging some of the workers in the industry dealt with a lot of turnover and it was much more "sales oriented" in approach than I had originally been lead to believe.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with all businesses, learn who the top performers are compensate them fairly. The model works and with the best employees it REALLY works well.

Pretty Decent

ProsGreat job to have while in college. Sales experience, flexible schedule , advancement to management.

ConsLate Nights and clientele can be demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay.

Pay and Experience Were Decent, Management Was the Overall Cause for Resignation

Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsI got paid a decent amount per hour, but it was the membership sales that really gave me the "fat" paycheck every two weeks. The overall clinic director of our three conjoined clinics was very accommodating to my schedule.

ConsThe sales manager and the assistant clinic manager, however, were just terrible. They had little to no people skills, and were very catty. The fact that they would sit in the office watching the security cameras while gossiping about their staff, husbands, boyfriends, children, etc. was extremely unprofessional. Adding to that the fact that they would go as far as to yell and scream at us in private when our sales performance was low for the month, it became unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPROFESSIONALISM: Learn it, live it, embrace it.

Excellent clients, ethically dysfunctional management.

Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
    Lake Zurich, IL

ProsThe clients are wonderful, regulars almost never missed a month and would often visit more than once a month.
    The massages were scheduled efficiently and everyone worked as many hours as they wanted and were able to work.

ConsIf an injury or illness would occur therapists were required to submit a doctor's note to approve absences or face suspension. Time off required one month advance notice. The clinic manager would belittle massage therapists by telling newly hired sales associates the therapists are dramatic and mean spirited. Sales associates were instructed to report any misbehavior, such as leaving while a client is checking out, whether or not the daily tips are requested.

Since massages are back to back there is no room for error in time management.

Good place to work

Lead Esthetician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule, regular monthly clientele provides consistent salary, only 4 facials offered, no waxing, no makeup application, no body treatments, very easy work.

ConsNo pay when schedule not fully booked, no holiday pay, way too much emphasis on sales, all training is sales based, not enough protocol training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCall members that haven't been in for services in a long time and encourage them to book their appointments to ensure a fully booked therapist. Compensate therapists with an agreed upon wage when schedule is not fully booked, compensate therapists with holiday pay for working holidays, reduce sales training for estheticians to twice a year instead of 4 times a year.

Owners in the Houston area don't care, which results in extremely high turnover of managers and front desk, as well as d

Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsHardly any side work, ability to create a following, like having your own little business working on your own.

ConsRude front desk runs off customers, tips going missing, no standards for therapists behavior, way, way overbooked with deep tissue massages with no extra pay or incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwners need to connect with each location and hold people to higher standards and in return have incentives for therapists with the most requests, etc. They act like they could not care less and are money-hungry, out of touch with each location. As soon as I had the chance I moved to a better spa and am so much happier as a result.

Worked for Massage Envy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Massage Envy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Massage Envy CEO Dave Crisalli. All 388 reviews posted anonymously by Massage Envy employees.