Massage Envy

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Dave Crisalli

Pros
  • Discount services; fun employees; flexible schedule (in 41 reviews)

• The only pro would be the discounted massages and discounted Murad products (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • You could me preforming 7 or more massage back to back without a break (in 16 reviews)

• no benefits, not a long-term job, low hourly rate for pay & big employee turnover rate (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job and the company

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission, Meeting friendly clients, Free massages, Working with cool people, and overall good owners.

Cons

Working with people who were family to each other. They sometimes were very selfish in the things that they did and often didn't take responsibility for SA's quitting. They always would blame it on the person who quit but never changed or looked into WHY our turn over rates were so high. Giving credit where credit is do, and have more management opportunities so that tasks can be, delegated and people won't be over whelmed.

Be fair, don't hire family if it's going to cloud your judgment.

Easy if you like selling memberships

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor

I worked at Massage Envy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, easy scheduling systems, discounts on massages, facials and products, great training on Murad products

Cons

Selling memberships to guests right after a massage felt like I was taking advantage of their relaxed state. And it is really hard to get out of those contracts after signing...

As a franchise, they need to regulate the owners of each branch more. Some locations are above par while others are very obviously not. Owners/Clinic Administrators should have a Business or Spa Management background, not rich locals who just want the perks and let go of their branch.

Good place for beginners and people on transition.

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Always work available. Great for therapists who like to travel. Great for interacting with other therapists. They help pay for some field related certificates.

Cons

Low hourly wage, you have to put many hours in to make a decent salary. Sometimes the place can be hectic, many people priorities are more for the money than the well being of the client.

Care more for the employees than the money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Massage Envy

Current Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with the clients and my coworkers, as well as the administrative work and customer service. Mandatory sales numbers and percentages can be daunting but it's part of the job to sell! You are a SALES associate! If having a "quota," as I've seen it called in these reviews, is part of any sales job. If you feel your compensation for selling is inadequate, speak with your Clinic Administrator or the owner/franchisee.

Cons

Scheduling and time-off: understaffed in terms of managers makes it really difficult to request time off or take an extended vacation. You get paid more than minimum wage, but raises are few and far between - be proactive. If you think you've shown you deserve a raise, ask for it. Chances are, management is waiting for you to ask.

The numbers are important, yes, but so is the support for your front desk staff. If the numbers are too low, offer some 1:1 training, or find out if anything is going on that is affecting their work - when my numbers were low, my management talked to me and offered a lot of support and I was able to explain that my co-workers were also really getting me down. Be proactive about talking to your staff. Without them, your clinic is nothing.

Jan the owner of the Wheaton Massage Envy is great to work for.

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Wheaton, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Wheaton, IL

I worked at Massage Envy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I came massaged and left. No advertising, no overhead. I was usually busy for every shift.

Cons

Sometimes there was favortism when booking therapists. There was also a lot of therapist drama if you sat in the backroom.

Depends on owner.... this is a franchise

I worked at Massage Envy

Pros

you can learn a lot

Cons

you learn on your own mostly

Good work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours are good. It's a relaxing place to work. You get paid hourly and get a bonus when you sell memberships.

Cons

Sometimes it gets overwhelming especially on weekends but usually there are two or three people working on the busy days

A good vibe, but not a great job. Front Desk Associate.

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time for less than a year

Pros

The reasons I like working here are the environment. The employees and clients are for the most part people with positive attitudes. The variety of clients is refreshing. The job itself is good experience for working in a spa setting, answering phones and customer service.

Cons

The pay is low and there is little opportunity to advance here. Therapists make a quarter of what their work is worth, and because of the cheaper price, the tips are often pathetically low. There are no benefits offered, no health insurance or 401k, Etc.

Pay your employees more, and watch the customer service reviews go wayyyy up. We are miserable here because it is not paying the bills.

Very Happy, Overall Great Experience

Current Employee - Wellness Consultant  in  West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Wellness Consultant in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is very relaxing, supportive, and friendly. I love working around such knowledgable therapists who radiate a sense of well-being and happiness. Gossip is actually quite minimal. The break room is usually filled with positivity and associates sharing ideas and stories in a positive way. I mean, yes, with so many employees between the therapists and front desk there's bound to be a little negativity from time to time but overall everyone I work with is wonderful. We all help one another. The free massage a month and 40% discount on retail (including Murad products) is amazing. Since I've gotten a few massages, I actually feel better physically and emotionally every day. The hours are reasonable. Usually working 8-4,10-6. The 3-10 closing shifts can be a pain but its understandable because you need to meet client's needs. The best part is my clinic wants front desk employees to be able to attend school therefore they are very flexible around school schedules. I can work 40 hours a week and attend school. It's great! The job gets busy, but it is never too stressful. I usually look forward to going to work everyday.

Cons

I do wish the pay was higher, but the great bonus structure makes up for it. I also wish there were paid vacations. Overall though, I am very happy with the job. The negative things I have read about the company do not apply to my clinic at all. I guess policies and culture vary greatly between franchises. My owners are wonderful, helpful, and play an active role in the operations of the clinic.

Paid vacation for associates who have been working 1 plus years! Close at 9 instead of 10. 10 is too late for my taste!

Its not as bad as people think.

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours.
    Chose days and time I want to work.
    Set schedule.
    Generally pretty busy.
    Always extra shifts to pick up for more money.
    Cash tips.
    Decent Pay.

Cons

No time in between Massages to rest.
    Cant call out without Drs. note.
    Front desk sales people pick favorites.
    If clients leave a tip on their card it gets taxed with your paycheck.
    If you are not booked, no pay.
    Could be sitting around for three hours and not get paid. Waste of time.
    Clients don't always follow "gratitude chart."
    Front desk gets all the credit for signing clients up when therapists did all the work.

be a little more choosey with your employees. Im so tired of the front desk staffs attitude. even clients complain.
    give us at least partial payment when clients no show, or if we aren't booked. i can get a job anywhere and sit on my butt for three hours, but i chose massage envy-make us want to stay.

Worked for Massage Envy? Contribute to the Community!