Massage Envy Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Dave Crisalli

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; ample training; discounted services (in 47 reviews)

• The discounted massages and facials were of course a huge plus (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back massages with no time to even use the restroom or grab a glass of water (in 18 reviews)

• Capped earning potential, no benefits (in 27 reviews)

1. Turn over is very fast

I worked at Massage Envy full-time

Pros

Experience is very easy to get, especially if you are a recent graduate.

Cons

The McDonald's of all massages

Advice to Management

The estheticians have nothing to do with the massage therapists.....have separate meetings if at all possible.

2. Massage envy

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time

Pros

great place to work while in school

Cons

pay could be better but it really depends on the owners

I do quite a bit of administrative work as well as coaching the front desk staff about sales and booking appointments.

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted massages, helping people take care of themselves on a regular basis, and helping your staff succeed are my favorite things about this job.

Cons

So much pressure on sales, which causes the most stress in all of the Massage Envy clinics that I have been to.

Advice to Management

Less pressure on sales and more focus on taking care of each and every client that walks in the door.

5. Massage Envy-Poway

Current Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Poway, CA

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

treat employees well, hourly wage plus commission on sales, My franchisee gave us each a free massage each month so that we would gain "product knowledge" and be able to sell the services better.

Cons

Being super pushy about the membership sales, adamant that sales all sound the same (boring and doesn't seem to get the Client's attention)

6. Massage Therapist

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time

Pros

Massage Envy lets me focus on giving a good massage. They provide all supplies from linens to massage cream/lotion. Once you learn how to pace yourself so you can take care of yourself as well as clients, it is easier to work with the front desk where the staff create the appointment log. Like any place, some of your coworkers may be jerks but it's pretty easy to ignore them if that is the case because you get to work one on one with clients most of the time. This is a great business model to work under. Most importantly, Massage Envy is interested in recruiting client so you don't have to do that on your own.

Cons

The pace. Barely time to talk to clients at the end of session and change linens (let alone wash you hands) before the next client needs to be greeted by you.

Advice to Management

Create MAGIC time between clients. Really, you are on table and therapist walks out at 5 before the hour. You open the door to the hall at 2.5 before the hour and talk to therapist until 1 before the hour. The therapist has ONE minute to strip the table, make up the table with new linens, run the dirty linen to the laundry, wash hands (all hand washing protocols call for 30 to 60 seconds) dry hands, go up front to grab new client paperwork, and greet the next client by the beginning of the hour. Somethings got to give. Pay more attention to retaining tried and true proven therapists.

Great working environment, but hard work is not rewarded as much as sales performance

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Foot traffic, I'm booked 90-100% every shift. My coworkers are awesome and make the job fun. It's an ideal situation for someone fresh out of school to get some practice in, but for an established therapist, you will be expected to perform at a five star level for a one star pay

Cons

After a year here, the number of high intensity massages I've done greatly exceeds how I've been compensated. The tips are rarely what they should be, sometimes you'll get $6 for a 2 hour massage which is a joke. Also, the management is under the impression we do not need a lead therapist so there's no upward mobility available at the moment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your therapists, most of us have been in this industry longer than you've been a manager. We are your most valuable resources and should be regarded as experts in our field, not just as subordinates. We spend more time than anyone else with the clients and our pay is dependent on providing them with the best all around service possible. We are not sales associates, so basing our performance on up selling and memberships undermines the skill and effort we put in to customizing 60, 90, and 120 minute massages at less than a third of the cost providing the same service would bring us.

8. Front Desk

Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate

I worked at Massage Envy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super nice and fun to work with. The managers are not too strict with most things and if you're a student just looking for a part time job and don't mind competitive sales then this is the job for you. They give you a lot of training in sales techniques and even hire out to have professional people come in and train new hires on their pitch to potential customers. Plus you get free massages sometimes!

Cons

Very competitive sales. If you sell 10 one year long memberships in a months time but don't sell enough to make the clinic sales quota of say 30% then you don't get any commission at all for the memberships you did sell. And each membership makes the company at bare minimum $750. So you could have sold those ten memberships and made the company $7500 and you will receive no commission whatsoever even though it's only $10 per membership sold. This happened to every single front desk person I worked with and is not fair at all. It makes the work environment very stressful and creates a hostile environment between front desk people competing against one another as to who gets the good prospective customer and who get the bum one because everyone counts against you if they don't sign up. Even little kids, who can not legally sign up anyways.

Advice to Management

Give a good chunk of commission to the sales associates and don't skimp out on giving them no commission if they didn't make the sales quota. Sometimes it depends on the hours someone works or if they get good customers or not and the front desk literally does everything they can to try to make these people sign up. There's nothing they can do if their person just doesn't want to sign up.

9. Great!

I worked at Massage Envy full-time

Pros

Great working experience as sales associate. Really enjoyed the company and the culture.

Cons

I enjoyed most everything about working there.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. Front Desk Sales Associate

I have been working at Massage Envy

Pros

You receive free monthly massages or facials. You also receive a 35% discount on the Murad skincare line as well as a 10% discount on all retail products! The clinic itself is pretty laid back. It only gets really busy at the top of each hour. Most of the clients are extremely nice and you build a relationship with regulars!

Cons

Pay is pretty low for all the work we are required to do (clean the clinic, answer phones, book appointments, sell memberships, sell products, do the laundry for the massage therapists, handle irate customers, etc).

Advice to Management

Make sure you treat all of your employees with the same respect and don't gossip like we are in high school!

11. Massage Therapist

I worked at Massage Envy

Pros

Flexible Schedule, nice clients, regular clients, small location size, work life balance

Cons

Low Pay, No Benefits, No additional pay for modalities, low tips, franchised

Advice to Management

Understand the working life of a massage therapist

RSS Feed </> Embed