Massage Envy

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.9

Dave Crisalli

Pros
  • Flexible schedule at Casa Linda's location because they try to accommodate to your school schedule (in 44 reviews)

• The only pro would be the discounted massages and discounted Murad products (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Since massages are back to back there is no room for error in time management (in 18 reviews)

• no benefits, not a long-term job, low hourly rate for pay & big employee turnover rate (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

They will have to GET RID OF ME

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great people. Affordable prices. Takes care of staff

Cons

Gets slow from time to time but you get out of it what you put into it. If you work hard and smart your books will always be full

Continued employee recognition!

Could have been better

Former Employee - Clinic Manager
    Former Employee - Clinic Manager

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The clients were great and so was the staff, working there can be like being part of a family.

Cons

Owners were more concerned with bottom line and cutting costs than the satisfaction of the employees or the general impression of clients

Loved it

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Massage Envy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All of the front desk is like one big family. As long as you don't step on each others toes with sales and instead HELP each other achieve the best numbers, the front desk can all be life-long friends. It was fun to look at the numbers, not just sales but revenue, attrition, inactive accounts, etc. if you work there at the front desk, get involved with the numbers!

Cons

At my location it wasn't a problem, but I know a lot of locations struggles with cohesiveness between the front and back.

(For all Massage Envys): don't put too much pressure on sales because it can result in unethical work practices

Fun working

Current Employee - Clinic Administrator in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinic Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment of people and clients always look forward coming to work.

Cons

Some days can be slow and came make the days a bit long but hey it can be like that any place.

Employed for 8 years and due to great owners would not imagine leaving

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Get to make my own hours. Front desk are willing to book me and work with my schedule to utilize time efficiently. I get rewarded when I go treat my clients above and beyond. The dedication most of the clients have is stronger compared to having my own independent business. We get 401k with match. There are plenty of add ons and upgrades you can sell to increase your wage. The yearly reviews are easy to meet and achieve a max of $1 raise every year if you just do your job. You get $150 reimbursed for CEU's that are used at the clinic.

Cons

You need to follow their rules it is not your business. I do not mind making sure the room is the same when I leave as I arrived, however some of my coworkers do not act the same. Due to the low pricing some new clients may not tip but those that have been dedicated for years make up for it. you have to give 30 days notice to take time off. Although there are benefits you have to meet a minimum number of hours weekly and its more of a discount plan not full coverage.

Try to remember that therapists are what bring the clients in and bring them back. Providing CEU's helps us to maintain and increase the skills offered to your location.

Fun and rewarding work, great coworkers, poor management and pay.

Current Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy working as a front desk associate for all the things the job entails: helping people with their pain management through massage, building rapport with clients, booking appointments based on customer needs, and resolving customer issues. I have great coworkers and we have a lot of fun at the front desk. Most of the therapists are really great, too, and I feel like I've learned a lot. They are fairly flexible with your hours and with sick days or emergencies.

Cons

The pay does not even begin to match the ever-increasing workload. They issue new policies at least once a week, some of which affect our pay (for example, if you forget to take a customer's credit card when you make their appointment and they fail to show up for the appointment, you could be charged for their appointment out of your paycheck). Employee turnover is extremely high. Last month, we lost several therapists in one month, and only a couple of those were because of employee relocation...the others were fed up with internal issues and either quit on the spot or found other positions. Up until just this month we only had four workers on the front desk, which meant that most mornings and evenings we opened and closed by ourselves. Management is very critical about tiny errors yet fail to come and assist the front desk when they are swamped. The leadership style is extremely passive-aggressive. Our commission schedule has changed three times since I started four months ago. The idea of moving up in the company is laughable because the management has changed three times in less than two years, and each manager has been bullied out or demoted until they quit. Employees are made to feel disposable and easily depressed. Instead of focusing on promotions and programs to keep current clients, management is focused on sales and bringing in new business, which leads to horrible client turnover as well.

Treat employees with respect and you'll see a huge decrease in turnover. Invest in employees who work hard and are passionate about the work they do. If you want to increase duties, delegate responsibly and compensate employees fairly for the work they do. Work harder on maintaining your loyal client base and focus less on membership sales.

Love working here.

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low stress. Great management. I never have to worry about anything. I show up, do my massages, and go home.

Cons

I don't make the most money in the world, but its a trad-off for less issues that I would have to take care of if I were on my own.

It was so-so

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work with great people. Decent pay for all the work. Some of the regular client's were great.

Cons

Each Massage Envy is independently-owned, the owner had no idea what she was doing. No chance of advancing. Management was completely disorganized and unprofessional and would treat you like crap.

Treating your employees like human beings will get you far.

Love it !

Current Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason is because I actually enjoy clocking into work. The work relationships I have set with the employees I manage are exceptional.

Cons

The hours of working until 10 pm

stricter with learning the script

Fun

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Midlothian, VA

I have been working at Massage Envy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staying Busy, great coworkers, Management is great compared to other massage envy's that i've worked for. They offer C.E.U.' s for training. Helps you your own clientele, flexible schedule's, and you are constantly strengthen your customer service skills and experience. great place for new graduates to start out.

Cons

Sometimes you get overbooked, or have gossipy therapist, therapist who feel the need to compete when your main goal is to help others. Lead therapist who think they're the boss of everyone. They should outline the job description of a lead therapist so that they stay in that role and not try to be more than what they are.There are times when the front desk doesn't do their job like have guests files in the therapist folder when its time for a therapist to pick up their guest. Also, sometimes the front desk doesn't check in the guest or takes too long pre-chatting their prospects.

Really , I have not much advice to management other than to say that i work for an excellent team and to keep up the great work. To also remember that they create the environment for the rest of us. Stay positive!