Massage Envy

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Crisalli

Pros
  • Discount services; fun employees; flexible schedule(in 41 reviews)

• The only pro would be the discounted massages and discounted Murad products(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • You could me preforming 7 or more massage back to back without a break(in 16 reviews)

• no benefits, not a long-term job, low hourly rate for pay & big employee turnover rate(in 23 reviews)

A good stepping stone or second job

Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThey do the marketing and book you
    You can choose how many clients you want to see
    Flexible days/ hours
    They hire new graduates
    Great hands on experience
    No stress work environment. Just do massage and go home.

ConsThey pay per client so if you're not booked, you're not getting paid. Avg per client is $15+tip, usually a total of $30-$35/client for an hour session. This can make it difficult if you choose to work slow daytime hours. One of my first days there, I had to be there for a 7 hour shift and only had one client booked. I was paid $15 for the whole day. Nights and weekends are busy and you will be booked. You need to choose these shifts to be booked and be busy.
    Either no benefits, or very expensive benefits
    Some offices want you to sign a non-compete
    No paid time off, no paid vacation, no retirement or health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer competitive wages to more experienced therapists. Even $17-$20 would make them feel more appreciated or that new therapists would have a reason to stay longer if there were any growth opportunity. As it is, the sense is they are replaceable and not valued for their experience or expertise. Also, if they stay a year or longer, offer to pay to renew their license and insurance. These relatively small expenses are appreciated. I would recommend this job to graduates. As it is, I would not recommend it for more experienced therapists.

Front Desk Sales

Front Desk Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome co-workers, manager and work environment, decent pay and a flexible schedule.

ConsSales associates can be forced to be a little pushy which can be a turn off to many clients.

Good for experience

LMP (Current Employee)

ProsI have had an overall positive experience working with this company. It is relatively easy to get hired, and you work with a lot of clients each day, so it is a good way to build experience right out of school. Monthly review encourages you in what you are doing well in addition to figuring out what you can do better. Pretty easy to get time off and a fairly flexible schedule.

ConsVery high turnover. Have worked there two years and have been through three changes of management. Many therapists don't stay more than a year. Very little opportunity for advancement and the pay is low. I trained to be a Spa Specialist, and have no opportunity to use those skills. Despite having 24 hours of training in hot stone massage, I cannot do hot stone there unless I take their 16 hour course.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Massage Therapist

Certified Massage Therapist (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsYou are guaranteed a hr rate and the massages are booked for you so that you are not always soliciting for massages.

ConsYou are not always busy with massages and can have a lot of down time especially in newer clinics.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the in house training it is a good way for the Therapist to learn fro each other and give the therapist a massage so that they are relaxed to.

Overall Good

Receptionist (Former Employee) Bowie, MD

ProsMgmnt was very nice and kind

ConsMgmnt was very unorganized at best

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more.

I was a full-time massage therapist there for two and a half years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of good hands-on experience for those who are just starting out (builds up your strength, improves time management, and on the job learning on clients with diverse body types, issues, and injuries). Flexible schedules, pay and tips are decent, and most of the rooms are large (at least, where I worked).

ConsYou are expected to help sell monthly memberships which is not an ingrained skill in most massage therapists. Management sees you as a brand and a product rather than a healer. Sometimes had to spend all day switching rooms after each massage which is not conducive to relaxation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess emphasis on the quantity of services and products you sell and more emphasis on the quality. If the quality is good, the quantity will take care of itself. Of course, management won't take this advice because, as their employees burn out, they can be replaced by new employees.

Great company to work for.

ProsCulture, flexible, meet great people, learning experience, fun

Consclient issues, long hours, stressful, high expectations, corporate

ok

Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee) Draper, UT

Prospeaceful environment and easy to work in

Consselling memberships is hard without knowing a lot about massage

Advice to Senior Managementlearn more about massage

Front desk

Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe hourly pay+commission is good if you are passionate about selling. Flexible hours. You get to build relationships with the clients.

ConsA lot of the massage therapists were extremely unprofessional. Many of them were fresh out of school and they wouldn't show up for shifts, always want to leave early...etc. which put the front desk in very stressful situations.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBonuses
    Compensation
    Meeting new people
    Training
    Works with school

ConsAlways have to make quota
    Compensation is ok depending if you make your bonuses
    Bonus structure changes freqently
    People are ok depending where you work

Worked for Massage Envy? Contribute to the Community!