Massage Envy

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.8

Dave Crisalli

Pros
  • Discount services; fun employees; flexible schedule (in 41 reviews)

• The only pro would be the discounted massages and discounted Murad products (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • You could me preforming 7 or more massage back to back without a break (in 16 reviews)

• no benefits, not a long-term job, low hourly rate for pay & big employee turnover rate (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for people just getting their massage therapy license.

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Myrtle Beach, SC

Pros

You work on a lot!!! Of people. Its great for practicing your skills, not justyour technique but practice retaining clients. Some CEU courses for dirt cheap. Build stamina also, its nice and steady pay.

Cons

The pay is abysmal for the field. The whole cooperate atmosphere, expecting you yo be able to do too many things in too short of time. The typical unrealstic expectation you get from bosses that dont actually do the job. Monthky meetings that are basicslly the same meeting over and over and over again.

Pay more, do not run your workers into yhe ground, proctect them and their health, do quarterly meetings.

Just a pair of hands

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Detroit, MI

Pros

All of the continuing education hours that are required are approved by the NCTBMP. Therapists must pay for these up front but are reimbursed in their paycheck.
    My franchise does offer vacation pay but you must request your time off 6-8 weeks in advance to get paid. It is also based on the weekly average of service hours performed. For instance, if you average 30 hands on hours per week you're only getting paid for five hours a day at your base of $15/ hour.
     All supplies are provided.
    Hours are flexible. You can pretty much work as much or as little as you choose.

Cons

Constant change of front desk and management.
    Clinic is filthy ( especially the carpet).
    Base pay is $15/ hour + c.e.u bonus of $2 + request percentage of $1. Stipulations for bonuses are constantly being changed.
    The front desk is constantly over booking therapists and not giving them their full breaks at the proper times.
    Rewards are based on favoritism not merit.
    There is no work/ life balance.
    Company does not offer 401k
    During that horrible snow storm the second week of January our regional manager sent out an email telling everyone to give themselves 3+ hours in extra time to get to work even though all of metro Detroit had practically shut down.
    You are required to work every Saturday or every Sunday.

You have incredibly talented people who love what they do very much working for this company. We are more than just a pair of hands. If you want to show you care then give us permanent raises not bonuses. And stop changing the requirements for the few benefits we do have. We are not as replaceable as you think we are.

Great company with a bright, growing future

Current Employee - Clinic Business Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Clinic Business Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Franchisees and Developers are very open to communication with managers. They take our "in the field" perspective and help come up with solutions and more productive ways to run the business. Always feel valued as a manager and love that I'm given the freedom to grow my team to help grow the clinic. Our upper management team is great with finding ways to help make it the best experience for the team and the clientele.

Cons

Can be stressful at times dealing with difficult personalities within the team (as with any mgmt position) Not enough time to balance continuing training for FOC staff and administrative tasks.

Keep up the great work with open lines of communication! Better organizational structure for in Clinic management would be great! Defining the roles.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Felt Like A Work Camp

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Austin, TX

Pros

Great place to get "experience", clients are just regular people, they don't know how the franchise does business, you could choose how may you want to do a day, and how many or how often you needed a break.

Cons

Terrible pay, you are replaceable, "taco bell" of massage, corporate feel, Sterile environment, music on loop, some therapists would do 10-12 a day!!

Massage therapists should be paid a minimum of $25/hour, this is tiring work, that causes arthritis, and other physical degeneration

Good Place To Learn & Grow

Former Employee - Clinic Administrator
    Former Employee - Clinic Administrator

Pros

I stayed with Massage Envy for years for a number of reasons. I was in school and it was easy to work my schedule around that. I had lots of opportunities to learn, grow, and receive promotions. I learned a lot about customer service, sales, and management.

Cons

The hardest thing about working here for me was that my coworkers were not reliable. Whether it was a therapist never showing up and taking their job seriously or a sales associate randomly quitting, people here did not act like responsible adults about their work. I could never count on anyone to show up and do what they were supposed to do, which made my job very stressful. The pay is also not very good if you're in management. The amount of responsibility you have doesn't show in your paycheck.

Maybe paying a little bit better would encourage people to stick around so that the business could be better.

good place to work

Current Employee - Massage Therapist  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Davie, FL

Pros

busy mos of the time

Cons

if client don't show up you don't get payed. Massage should be ratted ($) by modality. swedish should be shipper than deep tissue….

some therapists look sloppy…. evrybody should look nice and clean

On the fence

Pros

Flexibility of schedule and time off

Cons

Disorganized in aspects that affect clients and therapists.
    Needing a doctors note for every little thing. Food poisoning isn't exactly travel friendly or typically requiring a dr.

Esthetician

Former Employee - Esthetician  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great Clients - Flexible Scheduling

Cons

not enough clients - expect hard selling

The McDonald of Massage

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Bellevue, WA

Pros

You can expect to be busy and make as much as they promise you! They do all the marketing and most of the hard work.

Cons

Pay is really low. Expect to survive on tips

Offer more benefits to your employees, or at least standardize what benefits we do get! Each location offers something different.

It's steady work!

Current Employee - Esthetician  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Tampa, FL

Pros

You have a steady flow of clients and supplies and products are provided for you.

Cons

They are very corporate and do everything by the book.

Worked for Massage Envy? Contribute to the Community!