Massage Envy Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Dave Crisalli

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; ample training; discounted services (in 47 reviews)

• The discounted massages and facials were of course a huge plus (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back massages with no time to even use the restroom or grab a glass of water (in 18 reviews)

• Capped earning potential, no benefits (in 27 reviews)

Massage

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Massage Envy (More than 8 years)

Pros

No Stress. Everything you need is there for you. Appointments, clients, lotion, room, table, music, atmosphere, are all done for you. You simply needed to show up do your massages and go home. All the taxes and billings are done for you. Flexible hours and schedules. Employer usually pays half of your medical, dental, and vision as well. Take vacations or days off as you need to with in reason. It is also a safe place to practice massage therapy. You can easily find another M.E. franchise country wide to work with.

Cons

It is hard work physically. No vacation pay as of yet. I think with time eventually this will be added if enough people request it. No 401k

Advice to Management

Add vacation pay and employer match 401k this should be a viable career to retire from or at least to build retirement funds.

wellness consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, NY

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, opportunity to help people and feel like you are making a difference in their lives.

Cons

pay is not very good for everything that is expected of you. Commission pay is horrible and there isn't any incentive pay.

Advice to Management

Massage Envy is a fantastic place to work and a very fulfilling job and I loved being employed by Massage Envy, but when you have bad managers in place, it makes your job very difficult to do. There was a lot of unfairness and favoritism because of bad management. It wasn't what you knew but who you knew. Having good management in place makes a world of difference.

3. Good company

Pros

Great people, everybody gets along. Great atmosphere and you get free massages sometimes.

Cons

Franchised owned. So some managers have little experience running or managing large groups.

Advice to Management

More group seminars.

5. Esthe

Former Employee - Esthetician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Esthetician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Massage Envy part-time

Pros

Easy, no stress, simple, great for newly licensed

Cons

Pay is not that great at all. It's minimum wage or the grader of your facials. It's very difficult to get the 19/21 per service because facials aren't booked like massages.

Double-edged sword/Bit of a trap

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Westport, CT

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get hired straight out of school, lots of immediate hands-on experience, good quality tables provided, lubricant and sheets provided, free massages, camaraderie of other MT's, discount on liability insurance and online CEU's. In some cases (not mine), help with costs of initial licensing, VOLUME without having to genrate i yourself.

Cons

Pretty bad pay rates, top-down management by people with little understanding of massage, they treat MT's like children, franchisee ownerS tend to come from areas completely unrelated to massage due to the large aount of cash needed to ge started, and they can be horror-shows, an atmosphere that tends to put pressure on MT's to work when sick, a front-desk system that tends to put very young people with no massage knowledge at all in a position of booking appointments and therefore controlling your income, and they tend to get rotated @ every 6 months, so as soon as they start to have a clue, they're gone, a tendency to not understand the potential for injury and/or not care, and either push people to do more work than they can handle or allow inexperienced therapists to do way more work than they ought to-- saw MANY people out of the business and/or in for carpal tunnel surgery within 6 months of employment. NO HEALTH BENEFITS WHATSOEVER.

Advice to Management

Think of employees as people and not commodities, encourage long-term employment rather than a rotating door, set policies and decisions based on MT feedback rather than sitting in your ivory tower and dictating to them. MT's are, on the whole, a very gifted, insightful, hard-working, and caring group of people and have made a significant investment of time, effort and money to get trained and licensed. They are potentially a huge asset to your company if you start treating them like valued employees rather than as dispensible profit-generators.

7. Massage Therapist

Current Employee - Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time

Pros

Good place to work as a therapist because you can be focused on the client and not bogged down with administrative and housekeeping tasks. Massage Envy will build your client base. A lot depends on the GM and the at the front desk. Flexibility to have the schedule you want. Overall, win-win environment.

Cons

Constant challenge to transition from one client to the next just because scheduling time but at the end of the day, it has been done. Immaturity of some of the staff (Everywhere) gets old.

Advice to Management

Make it a point to listen to staff and then do something to let us know that you heard what we said.

8. Mind Numbing

Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Massage Envy (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great employee discounts, hourly wage + bonus structure

Cons

Little room to advance, disorganized management

Advice to Management

Listen and respond to your front desk staff regarding issues in the clinic.

9. Review for Front Desk Sales Associate

Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Massage Envy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great position for people who are in school. As soon as you learn everything in the job description, it becomes fairly easy to time manage your tasks. I enjoyed the company of my coworkers, they were all great people. Every workday becomes a goal to meet with your sales quota (which is good). Your hours pick up based on how well you sell which is fair. I picked up hours with other clinic locations under the same franchisee. It's very easy to move up in this career. All you have to work hard at your job.

Cons

I was let go due to mistyping a holiday promo voucher. This caught me off guard because this is the first time I'm hearing this and this was my last day working. My manager never gave me any proof of whether I was at fault for this.

Advice to Management

Please provide a proper termination/layoff structure.

10. Don't expect much

Former Employee - Keyholder in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Keyholder in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Massage Envy (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, get to sit around and do nothing until it's sales pitch time. Commission and bonuses at my location.

Cons

so, so boring. And hourly pay tends to be low, even for management.

Advice to Management

...I was management.

11. Clinic Manager

Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked working there because I loved seeing people walk in tired, grumpy, and in pain, and then leave with a smile on their face.

Cons

Owner was negative. This spread through out the whole shop. Most employees did not want to be there. They were afraid that they were going to make a mistake and anger the owner. The owner would use bad words and tell people they were stupid.

Advice to Management

Really try to appreciate your employees and guests. Every single one of them. If someone does something wrong then smile and correct them. Give them a compliment on something they are doing right. This will grow moral.

RSS Feed </> Embed