Massage Green

Add Photos

Allie Mallad

Wonderful Company!

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey promote within the company. I started as a receptionist and now I am the general manager at my location.
    They really care about the employees here
    They are great if you need time off, and they work around your schedule
    I love that it is an eco-friend company!
    It is easy to get in touch with corporate

ConsThere are not a lot of cons with this company, the only thing that is not the greatest is that the turn over rate can be high with massage therapists.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should offer their long term employees benefits, and insurance.

Great Company to Work For!!

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to be part of a company that is growing fast so there is great opportunity for promotion and growth. They treat their therapists great by not making them sell! Also great chances for promotion for front desk staff. VERY pleasant, family oriented working environment.

ConsNONE! They treat every single employee with the utmost respect!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing and giving therapists great working environments where they don't have to sell (like the competitor)... Keep on giving front desk sales associates the ability to get promoted to assistant managers and managers and then district managers. You are a very family oriented company with a bright future!!

Great concept, poor follow through.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe people you work with will become something like family. The people you work WITH are the main reason to stay.

Not a hard job, there is opportunity to grow within the company if you desire. The discount on massages is a major plus.

ConsThe turnover rate is ridiculous, and having been here for close to a year, I understand why. We're talking 20+ in a year, and that's on the low side.

The therapists feel taken advantage of, and so do the associates. If you work here for long enough, you start to feel like a second rate citizen who's job it is to make the company money, and they have no desire to take care of you in return.

Promises about raises or just in general are made and then broken or just continually pushed to "later." It's easy to feel taken advantage of.

Need a shift covered? Good luck. However you are expected to drop everything and come in if someone else does. A new store is opening? They will pull from your already stretched thin staff.

The upper management is accessible, but only if you are persistent. I mean REALLY persistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to focus on the stores it needs to focus on improving the spas currently opening. It is very clear that the main focus is money instead of the people working for the company. However, they would be better off building a strong base.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast growing company

ProsCustomers, employees and spa atmosphere. On the job training

Constoo many changes with out notice

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better training to managers so they can better train their staff

Great as a sales associate

ProsEasy job on a slow day. Make great friends.

ConsEverything else- senior management has NO idea what goes on on the 'front lines', the pay is almost laughable. No benefits, to be a manager you HAVE to work salary unless you miss a day then you are paid 11/hour. They illegally change peoples time clocks to be cheap and pile so many things on district managers that they act terrible to managers who in turn act terrible to the sales associates. Oh you want to be promoted? HA! They only promote from outside the company because everyone who already works here would never take the job knowing what they are getting into. Training? HA! Make sure you are with someone and ask a LOT of questions. Work/life balance? I get MAYBE one day off and even that day I get bombarded with calls. Monthly 'training' meetings that have no training at all, and you will not get paid for the driving or wear on your vehicle. And if you dont go- your fired, which isnt necessarily a bad thing. GET OUT BEFORE THEY GET AUDITED IF YOU ARE ALREADY STUCK IN THE COMPANY. CHANGING TIME CLOCKS IS ILLEGAL!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making rapid changes, take care of the stores you already have open instead of opening new ones, try actually seeing the stores to see what can be done, pay employees more so they will stay! Make employees happier with vacations or just not being so brutally hard on people, PAY PEOPLE FOR THE GAS THEY WASTE GOING TO MONTHLY MEETINGS

Entrepreneurial Company Headed for Bigtime!

Detroit, MI

ProsBeing part of a company in its early growth phases is exciting and challenging! As the company expands to many locations nationally (there are already more than 50), there will be tons of opportunity for hard-working individuals.

ConsDue to Massage Green's youth, and development, structure is not completely in place, but that should not be construed as a detriment, necessarily.

I can now do what I love AND make a living. All the stress of trying to run a business and find clients is gone.

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsA steady stream of clients. I don't have to search for or find my own clients. I just show up and give good therapy with a good attitude.
     Average pay of $25+ per hour (with tip) of service so far.
    A pleasant workplace and group of people to work with. Supportive management.
    I don't have to "sell" their membership. My job is client care.

ConsThere are occasional slow days but no more than working for myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are no additional benefits except discounted service at the present time.
    Work-life balance is good...thank you.

Another greed driven 'massage factory'

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

Prosmost clients are wonderful, some co-workers end up being like family, discounts on services

ConsI was painfully disappointed to realize this company is just another 'knock off' of the original massage chain giant. The only 'green' they are interested in is money. I understand that is why people go into business and respect what it takes to make that happen. My appreciation stops when the money and success is built by using and abusing hard-working, dedicated employees who are just trying to earn a respectable living with a sense of pride for their job. The manipulation never stops, it exemplifies every bad thought people have about a corporation.
    Though the CEO surrounds himself with some extremely smart senior management, he doesn't listen to them and will make decisions against their input for daily operations. This kind of power play then continues to trickle down basically resulting in absolutely no one in the company having any authority or ability to make a decision without permission. Requesting supplies or having a maintenance issue is an exhausting struggle which usually ends with managers just giving up and spending their own money on the basic needs of a location and employees investing their own time to fix something or learn to do without. This has drained the morale and become a place filled with confused, disappointed and exhausted employees.
    The company has no structure and employees are constantly pushed to achieve unattainable goals without having a realistic understanding of what it takes to operate a location day to day. The administrative requirements are unnecessarily exhaustive, and are mostly high level busy work that no one even reads or reacts to.
    --THERAPISTS are overworked and under paid. They are treated like replaceable parts in a sweat shop. If you are straight out of school this would be somewhere to look at as a poorly paid internship to perfect your skills. If you are a veteran in this field then make sure you pick prime hours working short shifts to stay busy and it could be a decent part time job. DO NOT in any way believe you will make a living being there full time unless you are able to consistently stay booked doing 7-8 massages everyday without burning out or worse, ending up injured.
    -- SALES ASSOCIATES work shifts alone leaving them glued to answer phones and assist customers with absolutely no breaks. Finding the opportunity to run to the bathroom becomes a perfectly planned mission. In the winter make sure to bundle up since most locations have issues with the heat and air in the front area. You will most likely find some kind of space heater brought in by an employee. Don't waste time trying to make someone aware to get this fixed - everyone knows.
    --MANAGERS work 9 hour shifts with no lunches, breaks or freedom to walk away from the front, but are responsible for the banking and errands for their location which means getting it done on their own time. You will be expected to be available at all times your location is open since your front desk is there alone and all problems or issues during their shift will be addressed to you. This is a full time – all the time position basically making you responsible for everything including working the 12 hour shift if someone decides to be sick or just can’t come in. The pay breaks down to $11/hour. It’s that simple. Don’t be fooled by being told you are “salary” – you’re not - unless you work over the mandatory hours then consider yourself “salary” with no chance of overtime.

No healthcare or any kind of benefits, no stability or job security, no raises, unattainable bonuses, deceitful and paranoid company culture, operations are run like an unorganized ma and pa shop, too much turnover in middle management really effects customer service and employee training.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe turnover at all levels of the company keeps growing month after month and will only continue if they don't stop leading with an egotistical pride and manipulative arrogance. There are so many talented and amazing people that work for this company that do not need the constant phony positive feedback, quickly followed by repetitive negative criticism. The fluff filled ‘copy and paste’ motivational lines that get thrown at each new doe eyed, eager addition are about the only thing this “green” company actually recycles and would see unbelievable outcomes if they just started to practice what they preach.
     -Stop the smoke and mirrors routine selling a dream only one person is really living and just try being honest…with everyone.
    - Stop the cat and mouse games and start to lead with the trust and loyalty that is given to you by your employees.
    -Stop and truly take a hard look at the frustration and sadness that is being felt in your company culture. No one is trying to cheat / steal from the company or is just sitting around being lazy. There is no need for creepy cameras in break rooms or sneaky attempts to 'catch' people- the more you search for problems the more they will appear to be there. People end up paranoid, resentful and on edge- which is the complete opposite of what a business promoting relaxation should have as its core foundation.

These are valuable, hardworking people who have great potential and brilliant ideas to share, instead they are treated like the obstacle to the company's success rather than being trained, developed and incentivized.

It's okay for now, but I'd rather work someplace where I make more $.

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)
    Brighton, MI

ProsMassage Green lets me have a flexible schedule. Most of the staff is nice.

Cons- Some of the therapists are bad at time management
    - Management messes with your time schedule
    - You don't get paid for your "memo hours"
    - Sometimes they tell you to stay even when you don't have a massage and aren't getting paid for that time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, and crack down on the therapists who constantly run behind!

2 years at Massage Green. Poor Employee Treatment. No Ethics.

District Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Northville, MI

ProsCoworkers are the best part at Massage Green. The staff is hardworking at each location. Upper management is where the problems lie.

ConsNo Benefits, No job security, No coaching or training available when needed, salary employees have no work life/ home life balance. Unstructured/unorganized after being open for 6 years. Solutions to problems are done as cheaply as possible. Claims to be "green" are false. Product used is mediocre for massage therapists and is not "preservative free" which is claimed on their website. Managers are trained to trim hours for massage therapists and sales associates even if they were there doing work at that time so that hours approved are not ever. Bonus's promised to managers can be taken away without providing reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom a former employee who left Massage Green after two years:

To Massage Therapists considering working for this company:

Pay is $15/per 1 hour massage. $22.50/ 90 minute, $30/ 2-hour. $5 bonus for every hot stone you do. You do not get a bonus for any other add-on services. OR your pay is $7.40/ hour. Whichever amount is greater over a 2 week pay period. You do not get paid the time spent cleaning in the store, doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms, or for slower locations...sitting around.

Example: If over 2 weeks you do 10 massages, and work 15 hours a week so 30 hours total. 10 X 15 = $150. OR 30 X 7.40= $222. You would get paid the $7.40 rate. Please do not think when you come on board that you are going to be making $15/hour because that is not the case. Also, managers are trained to trim hours on payroll if you clock in a little early or stay late to clean and clock out late, your hours get trimmed if it is possible to get you to make the massage rate instead of hourly. Keep track of how many massages you do a week because mistakes are frequently made. Also, if a client forgets to pay for a massage, their credit card doesn't work, they leave before paying, 9 times out of 10 you will not get paid for doing that massage. If a client does not show up for an appointment and they are supposed to be charged so you still get paid for your time, and their card is declined, you will not get paid for this session.

Also, the lotion/oil that is provided for you to use causes some therapists to break out. The companies website claims that their products used are chemical and preservative free, however, Parabens are a preservative and are in the lotion. They are also found in tumors of breast cancer patients. The CEO and Vice President are aware of this and have done nothing to change the product used for their therapists staffed or for their clients that are worked on.

Promises of bonus incentives for membership sales for therapists as well as sales associates are said to be "in the works", but are most likely never going to be rolled out. Promises for bonusing therapists with high request rates are also "in the works" as well.

Raises are very rare, so it shouldn't be an expectation.

To Sales Associates/ Receptionists considering working for Massage Green:

It's a fairly easy job. Most locations only have 1 person working at a time. If you have to use the restroom during your shift, BE QUICK because if the phone rings and you miss it, your manager will get an email from corporate asking why no one answers the phone and you will both be made to look incompetent. Work/Life balance is also a difficult thing for even Sales Associates to manage at Massage Green. If another employee gets sick or can't come in, you are expected to cover their shift if the manager cannot. You may be called to cover shifts at other locations as well, even if its over an hour from where you live. ALSO, some locations have cameras & microphones facing the front desk, in the break rooms, and in the waiting rooms for clients. Be very careful about what you say.

To Managers considering working for Massage Green:

Any semblance of a private life/ social life you can easily kiss goodbye. The hours aren't HORRIBLE if you like to work long shifts, sitting long periods of time, without any sort of break throughout the day. Typical day is 9 am- 6 pm or 1 pm- 9 pm. No break. You are a salary employee, you don't get a break. Also, since you are a salary employee, you are required to work a minimum of 45 hours each week. Anything under 45 hours, you are suddenly an hourly employee. The way the salary structure works is if you work 5 days/ 45 hours a week you make a certain amount of money, if you work 6 days/ 52 hours you get a little more. If you work a 12 hour shift one day, if you have to come in on your day off to cover for a sick employee, and end up working anything over 52 hours, you do not get paid for your time. EX: you could work 14 days straight/ 80 hours a week and only get paid for your 6 day/ 52 hour salary.

Managers are given an offer letter, with their base salary, and a bonus incentive structure. It has changed so many times that it is almost completely impossible to make a bonus now. Although, even if you DO meet the requirements for making a bonus, Massage Green does reserve the right to deny giving any bonus for any reason. Check the fine print, because it is definitely in there.

If something goes wrong in your store such as a plumbing issue, a washer/dryer not working be prepared to wait a long time for a solution/ get the cheapest solution possible/ have no solution at all. Also, be prepared to take sheets/ towels home for months at a time if there is a problem with the washer/dryer. This has happened in more than one store on more than one occasion. Also, supplies that your store may run low on, might need to be purchased by the manager or district supervisor, with their own personal money if a pay out of the drawer is not approved. Be prepared to run to a Sally's Beauty Supply if the store runs out of lotion or oil. Corporate is not quite on top of ordering product until it is completely out.

To District Managers considering working for Massage Green:

Please be prepared to drive. Consider yourself the delivery person for Massage Green. Your job will be delivering spas their supplies needed to successfully operate. It is also your job to assist with hiring massage therapists, and sales associates with the managers of the locations you are overseeing. Also, be prepared to pay for your own gas and not be reimbursed for mileage. I would highly recommend recording every mile you drive for business purposes so you can at the very least get a tax credit. Also, the same that goes for managers is true of District Managers. There is a very promising bonus structure but just like the managers bonus structure, is almost impossible to meet. Also, IF it is met, Massage Green reserves the right to deny any bonus. It is very likely that it will be denied.

If you ever have to go out of town for business, your gas might be paid for to drive there, your hotel will be paid for, but you will have to pay for your meals.

The flaws of Massage Green really seem to lie within the actual company. It is unstructured and unorganized, yet they call themselves a corporation. The corporation is run out of the CEOs house in California. It is micromanaged by a CEO, who then has a VP to micromanage supervisors who micromanage managers. The bottom line seems to be "how can we take more money from our clients and give less money to our staff?"

The hidden gem in Massage Green is the Massage Therapists, Sales Associates, and Managers that work hard every day to make a living for themselves but also give clients the best experience possible because they believe the pipe dream about making Massage Green a place for not just a job but a career. Unfortunately, the higher you get to the top. the further you have to fall. Most employees in upper management are only there a year or less until they are fired (with no reasoning provided) or quit because of the companies promises they have no intention of keeping, and/or their lack of ethics towards the treatment of their employees.

Worked for Massage Green? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Massage Green reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Massage Green CEO Allie Mallad. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Massage Green employees.