Massey Knakal

3.8

Paul J. Massey Jr.

Experience at Massey Knakal

I worked at Massey Knakal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Fun competitive environment
    #1 Real Estate Brokerage in NYC (in terms of transactions) for several years now
    Working in territory system

Cons

Salary could be higher, a lot of money from commission gets kicked back to the company. Check out process to become broker very time-consuming and meticulous.

Give more benefits to the interns and a higher salary for current Massey Knakal Associates. Other than that, continue with territory system and dominating Building Sales in NYC.

Caveat Emptor

Former Employee - Director of Retail Leasing in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Retail Leasing in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Massey Knakal as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

*The majority of salespeople and associates and employees are great people, friendly, available and willing to help.
    *Company has loads of top networking events throughout Manhattan.
    *Territory system allows agents to specialize in specific territories, but can still send leads to an agent outside of the territory for an origination fee.
    *The MK name is known throughout the industry.
    *Bob and Paul are great people and are tremendous resources to lean upon, if you can get their ear.
    *The Sales division is one of the best in the industry and have unlimited resources for you to use if you are in Sales.
    *Several agents really take time out of their day to help you succeed. Only problem is, if you heed their advice, it goes against the grain of management. So in essence, naivete is needed to play here.

Cons

*Get ready to spend the first 3-5 months building their database and completing 'employee-like' tasks before being allowed to work on the business you came there to do.
    *Start collecting owner contact information during the 'check-out' period, even if your immediate manager tells you not to, or else you will be further behind the ball when you are finally approved to conduct business because their database is missing around 65% of the owner contact information you need.
    *You will be expected to make a minimum of 200 calls per week 'FROM THE OFFICE'. Even if you make calls from the field and have detailed cell phone records and a healthy pipeline, they expect you to be in the office at all times, or at least ask for their permission to be excused, as was the case with me and some of my colleagues. This also ties into the latter bullet point. If you don't have owner information, expect to spend several hours at night, EVERY night, looking for owner contact information, because if you can't make your calls from the office, regardless the reason, you will be scorned and quickly demotivated by managements tone relating to your call output.
    *After expressing my thoughts on the way I was being treated as an employee, I was told that I was only an Independent Contractor for tax purposes, but technically an employee. If you keep your head down and follow all of their outdated, 'boy's club' policies, as many agents informed me to do, you will go far. But if you're like me harbor a more independent disposition fitting to the title of Independent Contractor, count your days because they are numbered.
    *The company's CRM system is from the 1990's. The new system they are working on will NOT make your life any easier. If you come here thinking you are going to run your business efficiently with your own modern tools (CRM, Lead Generation, Social Media Campaigns), this is the wrong company for you.
    *Be prepared to get an eventual fine from the Department of State, as all the Salespeople in the company have inflated job titles that are against NY Real Estate Law and contribute to some of the disdain received from competitors and clients.
    *Being unable to represent tenants is ironic given the fact that you spend a significant portion of your time during the check out period getting to know the tenants in your area.
    *The Marketing Department will control every single aspect of your business profile, down to the individual business tweets you want to send out. If you plan on implementing modern, social media practices to build your personal brand and market knowledge, be on the hush about it and play naive or else you will be placed in a conference room and have the entire Marketing Team try to school you on common social media knowledge, rules, guidelines, procedures, etc.

*Scrap the CRM rebuild and go with a reliable, cloud-based system that combines all aspects of lead generation that works for the individual agents, especially retail agents. Building a CRM system that forces agents to be slaves to their desks as opposed to being able to track their calls and all aspects of work from the field, in real time, is very outdated and counterproductive, especially for leasing agents.

A good potential at the company

I worked at Massey Knakal

Pros

Open ended potential. With hard work and proper connections and clients you can succeed in the future.

Cons

It's a commission based! When Real Estate market is good you can make very good money but when the times are bad you may not make as much.

Great internship experience... Would recommend it to people interested in real estate brokerage

Former Employee - Investment Sales Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Sales Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Massey Knakal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great mentoring by supervisors
    - Hands on projects that made me feel a part of a team
    - Good hours
    - Easy to access

Cons

- Pay was slightly low compared to other internships, but very good for a real estate company

Keep up the great work and building a great company!

Great hands on, collaborative work environment

I worked at Massey Knakal as an intern

Pros

Great network with territory system
    Great people

Cons

Low pay for associates & interns

Very great place to start

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Massey Knakal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, approachable bosses. No hierarchy. Lots of hands-on exposure. I would recommend it to anyone interested in commercial real estate brokerage

Cons

Hard to move up, pay isn't great, technology is dated, territory system limits associates. Only represent landlords, so no tenant representation

Allow associates to move up in the ranks more easily

I had a good experience here

I worked at Massey Knakal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Become an expert in a specific market
    - Work is actually used by sales people

Cons

- Unpaid
    - Some tedious tasks

Pay the interns! Even if not hourly, a tiny percentage of commission goes a long, long way

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Intern to the Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern to the Director in New York, NY

I worked at Massey Knakal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great smart people always willing to help. I was an intern and meeting clients within a couple of weeks.

Cons

some interns are not paid

Summer Intern

I worked at Massey Knakal

Pros

Great learning experience with awesome work place environment.

Cons

Significant portions of completed tasks are actually utilized in creating the final product.

Unpaid Internship - Not Worth It

I worked at Massey Knakal

Pros

gained some business office experience

Cons

Unpaid internship
    mostly doing admin work that made my boss' life easier but taught me nothing
    no real focus on my development

if you're going to have an internship program, pay the interns and make a concerted effort to teach more