Mast Ambulance

www.mastambulance.org

Mast Ambulance Reviews

4.0

CEO

Great place to work, but steer clear of the union politics.

Current Employee - Paramedic in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mast Ambulance

Pros

You'll have tremendous autonomy to do the job in the way you want. We have an excellent medical director who takes EMS seriously and really believes in what we do.

Our benefits are among the best in the industry: wonderful health insurance, good wages, free uniforms, paid CEUs, 9% 401k gift from the company, wages increase yearly, and paid 40 minute lunch are a few of the perks. More than any other EMS agency I know of, you'll get off on time almost all the time. It's been years since anyone had a mandatory hold-over. Unlike most commercial and for-profit EMS agencies, you can make a living wage here.

You'll work in a busy system covering 433 square miles. If you want to become a great paramedic, this is the place to be. I don't feel the least bit ashamed to say that when it comes to EMS, we're among the best in the nation. Few EMS systems offer opportunities to keep your skills sharp. MAST is a brand name in EMS. You can work here and go anywhere you want after a few years. People recognize the work that we do worldwide. We have the best cardiac arrest save rate in the nation based on recent data.

Generally there's a good relationship between MAST and the police and fire departments.

Kansas City is a big, diverse, and wild place. You can run a call in a 6,500 square foot house in the afternoon, and then handle a police chase gone bad in the inner city 6 hours later.

Cons

You'll spend your days sitting in an ambulance waiting for calls. You'll drive between 100-200 miles per shift from post to post. There are no stations. And if you're not careful, you'll get sucked into the union politics that, of late, have created a very divisive atmosphere. Our dues are very expensive. This year, I will pay over $1,000 in union dues out of my salary.

It can be dangerous. I've had my life threatened on several occasions. I've been injured in attacks by patients. I had a dirty needle stick me. I lost time at work due to a shoulder injury.

If you want recognition for hard work, or a job well done, don't expect it from patients, coworkers, or staff. People are quick to point out what you did wrong, but rarely will you hear what you did correctly. Coworkers can be among the worst Monday morning quarterbacks you'll ever meet. They weren't on your call, but that won't stop them from pretending like they were.

It's also a tough place to be a new employee. People here tend to forget that there's a world outside of MAST -- meaning they forget that new employees might be new to MAST, but not new to EMS or new to the job world. As such, you'll run into a few loud-mouthed know it alls.

In time, however, you'll learn that these people act this way out of insecurity and a feeling of being threatened. It's not different than most other jobs in this respect.

Have high expectations for employees and live up to those expectations yourself. Be consistent. Don't play favorites. Everyone sees through that. And don't cater to the chronic complainers so much. There's a lot of us who come to work on time, do our jobs, and take pride in our work. We don't whine, or complain all the time. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the loudest person is the spokesman. Far from it.

Take an interest in our work on a personal level. Reward and recognize excellence at every opportunity. And ALWAYS praise in public, criticize in private.

Mast Ambulance is one of the best services to work for in the country.

Current Employee - Field Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Field Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mast Ambulance

Pros

The pay is one of the highest for this field. A very progressive company, stays on top of technology. A good and respectful management staff. Good equipment. A good benefits package. Numerous possibilities for career growth. Always adding new projects and services. Good medical oversight. Aggressive protocols. Employee feedback encouraged.

Cons

A very busy system. Use system status management as their deploy model. You are required to work nights and weekends. A city service so you have to deal with city politics for funding. No fixed post locations.

Keep employees informed. Give positive feedback when warranted. Do not micro manage. Maintain your open door policy.