Mastech

Updated July 18, 2014

3.1

Mastech President, CEO & Director D. Kevin Horner
D. Kevin Horner

Pros
  • Pays on time, Good Immigration team (in 2 reviews)

• 3- payment never missed its date and is prompt, occasionally it even gets cleared a day before in your account (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Layoff when the project gets over (in 2 reviews)

• Since it is staffing company they are only interested in supplying the candidates to vendor company on a contract to hire basis (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work

Current Employee - Technician  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Full benefits in 30 days of employment, 75.00 boot pay annually, provides tools, paid training

Cons

Not enough money for paid training. Have to provide yoyr own drill

Paid training: Pay should be more hourly

Refused to Pay Final Invoice

Former Employee - Ruby On Rails Developer
    Former Employee - Ruby On Rails Developer

Pros

Paid as promised so long as there were no problems.

Cons

Mastech was the payer of record for a remote contract obtained through a consulting firm. After about six weeks the actual client called Mastech to can me because of their problems integrating a remote worker. The Mastech agent then called me to express concerns, but did not tell me I had been terminated. (He later explained that he was trying to salvage the relationship.) The very next day I called the client, and _he_ did not mention that I was canned. (Too chicken?) So I worked a few more days, until I got a formal stop work order.

When I presented my last timesheet, the client refused to sign it (legitimately so since it was for work performed after they had terminated me with Mastech.) When I asked Mastech to pay up, my contact said that the president had refused to approve this, since the $1,000+ payment would eat up all their profit from the arrangement. (What a great excuse!)

There was an email/phone foofaraw extending over several months, with me teeing off the end client in the process. Finally, the consulting firm that presented me to the client stepped up to do the right thing and paid me, even though they had no legal obligation to do so.

Mastech is probably not worse than many other agencies -- I just happened to find out the limits of their integrity.

Gas up on integrity!

good

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

work-life balance is very good

Cons

benefits aren´t so good but

company values

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a body shop

Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Houston, TX

Pros

No problems with getting paid

Cons

Not great at finding next contract for you

Need to manage resources better

Terminate H1 After 15 days

Pros

On time pay. typical body shop.

Cons

Terminate H1 After 15 days

Value employees

Awesome Company to work with

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great helpful people, no salary issues or anything.

Cons

Marketing is a little slow but they do find you a good project.

Keep up the good work.

Good with Immigration only

Pros

Immigration,Pay stubs in timely manner

Cons

no direct clients, not good in bench terms..they terminate after 15 days of bench ....

Don't expect communication

Pros

They are connected with great organizations.

Cons

Specifically regarding the Healthcare Staffing office in PA: Expect to randomly know salary ranges for positions off the top of your head, because they aren't going to tell you a range, and most likely let you agree to a lower salary so they can keep the rest for themselves. Do not expect them to return phone calls or emails to update you about the status of your application process. Do not expect to be able to speak with a supervisor or manager of recruiters because they only go to voice mail as well. Worst staffing experience of my life and cost me to lose out on a position/organization I was passionate about working at.

Be more accessible to your candidates. Have an actual operator that answers the phones. Insist that your staff return phone calls and emails. A dissatisfied customer will tell between 9-15 people about their experience. (White House Office of Consumer Affairs). Is this the image you want for your company, in the age of social media?

A good team to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

I've been working with Mastech since 2 years now as a full time employee and I'm a H1b candidate.
    They been very transparent and accommodate so far.
    I'm not very good at writing so I'll list out the positive and negative things that happened in my case so far and bear with my broken language.
    1- Dedicated resource for different parts of administration (like HR, Payroll, Recruitment, Marketing, legal, bench management) and not like small consulting companies where a single person plays all the role.
    2- Matured and prompt HR process and is well communicated, no surprises.
    3- payment never missed its date and is prompt, occasionally it even gets cleared a day before in your account. I say this past experience and this last 2 years.
    4- Benefits are not the best but on par with the industry. Employer participation is there in insurance payment. I have to pay $400 out of my pocket every month, but that is better to other companies.
    5- My project got over a week before and I'm looking for new position, But they are paying me on bench, this is my 2nd week and they are working with me to find a local project in CA.
    6- I requested not to relocate, and find a local project, they are patiently helping me and letting me find a project in local of my choice and are working with me in the same case.
    7- You get 18 paid holidays (Including personal, vacation and holidays)

Cons

1- Though it is like a full time, it is really a consulting job. Your work life is purely based on the client you find and how flexible they are.
    2- They don't have a very good direct client base in Bay Area (At-least that is what I know because I have tried only in bay area, I can't comment on other locations). It is very hard to find a project through them and you will have to market yourself.
    3- They may be working on High margin, so the chances of you finding a project gets difficult, mainly because of the high rates.

Please get your marketing team stronger and work with clients to get their goals accomplished so that you will have more direct client on your portfolio and will give boost the confidence of consultants working with you and wont let them wander in streets in search of a job.

Good company

Pros

Flexible work, great work environment

Cons

Relocation based on client needs.

Worked for Mastech? Contribute to the Community!