MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy""
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Overloaded with processes and middle management"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent company with a strong vision for the future

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMasterCard has strong focus on employees and provides excellent opportunities for future growth. MasterCard's continued success in the card payment business will ensure a rewarding environment for new employees.

ConsMany career development opportunities tends to be centered around corporate headquarters as you reach more senior roles. However, MasterCard truly isn't that much different than most major corporations with a centralized headquarters.

a great time to be working at MasterCard

Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat benefits and opportunities to intereact across business units. Always comfortable environment.

Conssometimes it seems that important information intended for all employees doesn't make its way down the line. There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle.

Self-Starters Only Need Apply

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    O'Fallon, MO

ProsGreat Benefits Including Bonus Program
    Casual Dress
    Work From Home (Most Positions)
    Beautiful Campus With Onsite Fitness Center, Full Cafeteria, Game Rooms, etc.

ConsWork Pace Can Be Grinding At Times
    Not Enough People To Meet Expectations/Goals
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings!
    Separatist Attitude Amongst Management - Too Good For The Trenches

Advice to Senior ManagementStay In Touch With What's Really Going On
    Listen More, Meet Less

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are lots of educational opportunities.

ConsMeetings are a large part of the culture and peoples calendars are always overbooked.

Political powerhouse - HR corruption.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsDepending on who you work for, this can be a great experience. Ajay Banga changed the place for the most part so now it's more innovative and people are more hardworking.

ConsThere is tremendous corruption in HR. A few people have been there too long and have way too much power. Way too many layers, VPs are a dime a dozen.

Stable company but that's it

Business Leader (Current Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsStable company, they will be around for a while and are profitable.

ConsCompensation is below average, and opportunities for advancement are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide actual incentives for lateral moves (saying that you are getting new skills doesn't work when the hiring managers are not willing to hire someone without years of experience doing everything in the job description) and stop telling hiring managers to only hire externally.

Great work environment

Leader (Current Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsMasterCard has a lot of employees who know a great deal about the payment industry. The company is also investing a lot in the training of its staff. It's a great place to learn a lot.

The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance.

ConsThe location is not great. The company could have a more flexible work from home policy. There are a lot of meetings and a limited sense of accountability at times. It's sometimes challenging to act swiftly.

Flag Review
    MasterCard VP, Employer Brand Marketing responded to this review May 13, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for taking the time to review your experience thus far!

working as a contractor at MasterCard

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    O'Fallon, MO

ProsThey are very flexible in work hours, dress.

ConsYour management may change due to reorgs or project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe are not consistent on how they treat contractors. My first manager treated me as an employee - 1 on 1's and provided training. My second manager really spent no time with me.

Former Employee

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsMany great people, nice benefits, good physical environment - interesting work.

ConsPolitics can be very frustrating, some internal management promotions are very questionable! The work life ratio can be extremely unbalanced - depending upon specific managers. Yearly reviews are skewed - above average ratings are not necessarily based on performance - but rather on the clique and opportunities management assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the internal promotion and good old boy network. Review the yearly performance rating policies.

Great company culture

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Purchase, NY

Pros-Very positive environment, friendly people, beautiful headquarters in Purchase. Good/cheap cafeteria with healthy food, and a gym on site. They're very much trying to make a 'Google vibe' there, i.e., they just put in scooters to ride around the office.

-Smart coworkers top-to-bottom. Most of the young grads went to very good universities.

-Solid work/life balance. Not many people working insane hours.

-Stock has been on a roll the last couple years. Wonder how much longer that lasts.

-The company, with their 'MasterCard Labs', is really commited to creating technologically revolutionary products, even if they don't financially benefit the company anytime soon.

Cons-It seemed like a lot of young workers were leaving for AmEx and better paying jobs.

-Very rigid, old-fashioned military-style 'pay-scale'. Can be frustrating that pay and positions are so rigidly defined.

-The public transit commute out to Purchase from the city can take 90 minutes door to desk. This certainly discourages city-livers from joining. The company is trying to rectify this by opening an office in Manhattan (Union Square) and by allowing more remote work.

Advice to Senior Management-Seems like a lot of young workers leave after a year or two for higher paying opportunities at other firms. Not sure if this is actually that much of a problem, perhaps.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 257 reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.