MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Excellent company with a strong vision for the future

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMasterCard has strong focus on employees and provides excellent opportunities for future growth. MasterCard's continued success in the card payment business will ensure a rewarding environment for new employees.

ConsMany career development opportunities tends to be centered around corporate headquarters as you reach more senior roles. However, MasterCard truly isn't that much different than most major corporations with a centralized headquarters.

Political powerhouse - HR corruption.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsDepending on who you work for, this can be a great experience. Ajay Banga changed the place for the most part so now it's more innovative and people are more hardworking.

ConsThere is tremendous corruption in HR. A few people have been there too long and have way too much power. Way too many layers, VPs are a dime a dozen.

Interesting company with fast moving technology team, however lacking in other ares such as HR

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat office location and environment

ConsTechnological equipment was not up to par, business processes often took a long time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Self-Starters Only Need Apply

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO

ProsGreat Benefits Including Bonus Program
    Casual Dress
    Work From Home (Most Positions)
    Beautiful Campus With Onsite Fitness Center, Full Cafeteria, Game Rooms, etc.

ConsWork Pace Can Be Grinding At Times
    Not Enough People To Meet Expectations/Goals
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings!
    Separatist Attitude Amongst Management - Too Good For The Trenches

Advice to Senior ManagementStay In Touch With What's Really Going On
    Listen More, Meet Less

a great time to be working at MasterCard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat benefits and opportunities to intereact across business units. Always comfortable environment.

Conssometimes it seems that important information intended for all employees doesn't make its way down the line. There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle.

Stable company but that's it

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsStable company, they will be around for a while and are profitable.

ConsCompensation is below average, and opportunities for advancement are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide actual incentives for lateral moves (saying that you are getting new skills doesn't work when the hiring managers are not willing to hire someone without years of experience doing everything in the job description) and stop telling hiring managers to only hire externally.

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are lots of educational opportunities.

ConsMeetings are a large part of the culture and peoples calendars are always overbooked.

Good place to work

Director (Former Employee) Purchase, NY

Prosgood benefits, nice profit sharing plan

Consineffective managers, requires face time

Advice to Senior Managementlisten

Uncompetitive in Canada

Vice President (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCome talented people
    Good industry to work in
    Good focus on innovation

ConsCanadian leadership is incompetent
    Sales and client management teams are was behind market leaders, Amex and VISA
    Leadership not able to drive improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of the talent that the organization already has to close key gaps in sales and client management
    Address the competitive losing streak and develop a strategy to start winning again
    Make "focus on the customer" more than just something you say

Great work environment

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsMasterCard has a lot of employees who know a great deal about the payment industry. The company is also investing a lot in the training of its staff. It's a great place to learn a lot.

The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance.

ConsThe location is not great. The company could have a more flexible work from home policy. There are a lot of meetings and a limited sense of accountability at times. It's sometimes challenging to act swiftly.

MasterCard VP, Employer Brand Marketing responded to this review

May 13, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience thus far!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!