MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Traditional organization with typical politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUsually very good compensation. Many areas of specialization and ability to focus either domestically or globally

ConsOld boy network is really alive and well, with a higher priority on personal relationships and networking than on actual competence or results

Enjoy working here, but it is extremely fast paced ALL the time.

Business Leader (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO

Prosflexible with work/life balance and ability to work remote, benefits are good and there are lots of healthy incentives. Gym onsite is another bonus if you can find the time to visit.

ConsThe new open floor plan may work for some, but not all. Every day is busy season, there is no break in the madness.

Great experience, not sure if typical

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsVery dynamic industry, lots of opportunity if you are seen as a positive contributor

ConsSome lifer mentality, has apparently changed under new ceo

Advice to Senior ManagementFor true cultural change, need to switch out some of mgmt below CEO - still all the same as with last CEO

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Middle Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat community spirit. Excellent comp and bonus. Ajay Banga proved to be a great leader.

ConsPolitics. Lots of who you know rather than what you know. If you don't play the game, you don't get noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt a great company. Just don't trip over yourself.

Good experience in general

Director (Former Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsGood pay, enjoyed co-workers, good benefits, interesting work. Beautiful building and grounds.

ConsRuthless regarding layoffs like most companies

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better. Take advantage of your workforce, train them, give them a path ahead

An excellent company to work for!

ProsGrowing company with that offers career opportunities for employees

ConsDemands of being part of a growing company can be challenging for work / life balance for some

A mess that needs cleaning up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsDecent salary and benefits. MC leadership seems good and focused.

ConsVery political and Truaxis is run by two people who have no experience in digital or eCommerce. All processes are aimed at making the AM's team job easier. It's the tail wagging the dog. Seriously flawed leadership who hires other unqualified people to say yes to the leaders. Needs a complete overhaul to be a viable company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruaxis needs a lot of help and direction from people with expertise. They sold you on technology that does not exist.

Good company to work for

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsThe pros to working at Mastercard include the following: location, facility, work-life balance, the ability to work from home if necessary.

ConsOne of the cons i would say is that there are less growth opportunities than may be at other financial services company mainly due to MasterCard's relatively small size when compared to banks

Mastercard Review

Prosculture, people, opportunities, global perspective

ConsPay, perks, health care, gym

Not for the faint of heart but potentially rewarding

Leader (Current Employee)

ProsMost of the people are great to work with. Individuals very dedicated to success of their teams and the company overall. Lots of opportunity to learn if a person makes the effort. Plenty of perks, benefits, and reasonable salaries.

ConsPromotions and salary increases are infrequent and not always based on ability. Progression in the company requires a lot of networking. Although the company tries to promote a good work/life balance, the workload makes it nearly impossible. Lots of overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on supporting and retaining talented individuals with recognition and opportunities for advancement. Middle managers need to refocus on people management.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!